Finance thread 2022.

Rev

12 minutes ago, TexasRam said:

Seems well worth it then, a little dot on the map making zero impact on the over all global carbon reduction and not passing on the green savings to its populous. Bravo ??  That’s a cause to get behind ?

It is a cause to get behind, I agree. The fossil fuel corps should not be able to force governments to keep this artificial pricing in place.

28 minutes ago, uttoxram75 said:

It is a cause to get behind, I agree. The fossil fuel corps should not be able to force governments to keep this artificial pricing in place.

To be honest I totally agree and I’m tired of being on the wind up all the time (I mean that as well @Stive Pesley) I wish we’d move to a more sustainable energy source which would benefit both the planet and the public in their pocket.  

On 06/10/2022 at 17:38, PistoldPete said:

As I said in my reply to Gboro I think he underestimated the cost of fuel, and as he said hadn't even allowed for insurance, which for some can be very expensive , luckily not for olduns like me. Also parking fees depending on where you go.

Electric cars are not cheaper to run, I don't think.  Electric bikes are though.  

On my current electricity rate, it costs me about 2p a mile to charge at home. Motorway prices are more like 10p.

6 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

On my current electricity rate, it costs me about 2p a mile to charge at home. Motorway prices are more like 10p.

I pay 26p/kw with pod point, going electric has at least halved my fuel bill (from ~£65/week to ~£30). Electric is far cheaper imo (and even cheaper if I can get on the 22kw free charger at Tesco)

Edited by TexasRam

11 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Does an electric car cost more? And what is cost of installing charging points? And what happens when the battery runs out how much does that cost to replace? Come on GoC you are the depreciation expert you will no doubt have all this info at your fingertips.  

9 minutes ago, PistoldPete said:

Does an electric car cost more? And what is cost of installing charging points? And what happens when the battery runs out how much does that cost to replace? Come on GoC you are the depreciation expert you will no doubt have all this info at your fingertips.  

I only have mine through salary sacrifice so haven't looked at initial costs, depreciation and the others stuff for a while.

Charge point costs vary depending power. Cheapest is £800, although when I got mine the there was a £350 grant to slash the cost. Some manufacturers and dealerships may throw one in to the deal at no extra cost.

EV batteries usually come with at least an 8 year warranty, and will cost about £4000 to replace. I imagine fancier and more expensive cars will cost more.

Over a 3 year period (how long I have it for), my electric car costs only about £1000 more than a 12 year old equivalent petrol/diesel car. 

17 hours ago, Stive Pesley said:

There is always the odd clever dick who tries to catch out the Greens by highlighting a bird that has flown into a wind turbine and died. 

Which seems a bit silly. A bird flew into my bedroom window and died last week. Doesn't mean windows are evil. Plus the number of birds that die as a result of anything other than cats or bigger birds is pretty infinitesimal

Ground mounted solar farms are probably the worse ecologically, as they are disrupting the ecosystem by preventing sunlight reaching plant life

Daily Express: Murder Glass is killing our precious bird population!

17 hours ago, Stive Pesley said:

There is always the odd clever dick who tries to catch out the Greens by highlighting a bird that has flown into a wind turbine and died. 

Which seems a bit silly. A bird flew into my bedroom window and died last week. Doesn't mean windows are evil. Plus the number of birds that die as a result of anything other than cats or bigger birds is pretty infinitesimal

Ground mounted solar farms are probably the worse ecologically, as they are disrupting the ecosystem by preventing sunlight reaching plant life

This isn't actually true.. birds dying from flying into wind turbines in quite large numbers. Birds have a high wastage rate that's why they tend to have lots of chicks in one go. 

Looking at buying a new phone, the pixel 6 looks like a decent buy, on offer on Amazon. Is it cheaper to buy the phone outright and get a sim card or try and go on another contract? I'm trying to buy items in cash nowadays and not be stuck on long contracts.

I'm a creature of habit when it comes to shopping, Sometimes I veer off tho...it's those bloody trolley wheels?, Checked my spending habits for Septembers shopping £110, October was £135, Another 10p for a 4 pint of milk to £1.55p, I bought some frozen battered Cod, Had 1 with chips yesterday, I had to check the box as when I took 1 out I thought I'd bought fish fingers, Mum and Dad Cod must have been in tears as it now looks like we're baking baby Cods ?‍♀️

Asda whoops isle is getting bigger, Sinfin Asda has had a move around...stuff that's in the same place for years has now been moved elsewhere in the hope us foolish shoppers will fall for their...Oooo they have something new ?

15 minutes ago, SSD said:

Looking at buying a new phone, the pixel 6 looks like a decent buy, on offer on Amazon. Is it cheaper to buy the phone outright and get a sim card or try and go on another contract? I'm trying to buy items in cash nowadays and not be stuck on long contracts.

Apologies for stating the obvious but it depends on what deal you’ve found for the phone + SIM only v the best contract you can find. I’m not an expert but I would have thought buying outright + a SIM only could well be the best. My rolling monthly SIM only deal (unlimited calls and texts + 12GB data) costs me £8 pm.

1 hour ago, SSD said:

Looking at buying a new phone, the pixel 6 looks like a decent buy, on offer on Amazon.

I've got the Pixel 6 Pro and it's good, my only gripe is the battery life is slightly disappointing.

I'm tempted to get the new Pixel 7 Pro as I can get over £300 off if I trade in my current phone and pre-order the new one, plus a free Pixel Watch.