Finance thread 2022.

Rev

39 minutes ago, JoetheRam said:

That press conference was a total embarrassment and laid bare her lack of intelligence. Bond markets have reacted accordingly.

Early G.E is inevitable now, if the Tories want to be re-elected in the next 20 years their MP's need to step up and call one now.

She looked around for friendly journalists, When she plumped for Peston she struggled with his question and called a halt to more embarrassment, If you put yourself forward to be PM you'd better be able to shoot the heckler, She can spout the energy support all she wants she's nowt else...Mutterings already that she'll be gone soon enough, She's Baddley wounded and there's no medicine other than turn the light off when you leave number 10 ?

1 hour ago, JoetheRam said:

Early G.E is inevitable now, if the Tories want to be re-elected in the next 20 years their MP's need to step up and call one now.

I'm not sure even THESE Turkeys would vote for Christmas, unless they really do want to spend more time with their real families.

15 minutes ago, Crewton said:

I'm not sure even THESE Turkeys would vote for Christmas, unless they really do want to spend more time with their real families.

Yep not going to happen, I can see...a n other with a n other...until this calamitous party gets back on track...if they can?‍♀️ 

Something troubles me about all of this though

And I'm not lover of the Tories, as you know

Whether I agreed with their mini-budget or not, you can't argue that it wasn't a bold move, aimed at trying to do things differently

And the financial markets moved to crush it

Same with Corbyn - he wanted to do things differently and the media did a hatchet job on him, to ensure he got nowhere near power

I suppose it boils down to  this - who is actually in charge? Because it sure isn't the politicians. The illusion of democracy is powerful!

9 minutes ago, Unlucky Alf said:

Yep not going to happen, I can see...a n other with a n other...until this calamitous party gets back on track...if they can?‍♀️ 

Meanwhile the country meanders downstream completely rudderless like a scene out of Deliverance.

1 minute ago, Stive Pesley said:

Whether I agreed with their mini-budget or not, you can't argue that it wasn't a bold move, aimed at trying to do things differently

Same with Corbyn - he wanted to do things differently and the media did a hatchet job on him, to ensure he got nowhere near power

I suppose it boils down to  this - who is actually in charge? Because it sure isn't the politicians. The illusion of democracy is powerful!

The markets are an efficient way of measuring the consequences of actions. If Government cannot balance the books it has to print money , which fuels inflation. Which is not what we want right now it's a vicious circle.

If investors think inflation is going up, of course they will want higher yields on their investments So bond yields go up.. pushing up Government borrowing costs even more. So Government has to borrow more .. And on it goes.

Taxes for high earners and for businesses are soft targets politically. Not sure it helps the economy though to put up business taxes when most businesses have been struggling after lockdown and the fuel price crisis. 

5 minutes ago, PistoldPete said:

Taxes for high earners and for businesses are soft targets politically. Not sure it helps the economy though to put up business taxes when most businesses have been struggling after lockdown and the fuel price crisis. 

Corporation Tax DOES NOT hinder struggling businesses, no profit means no tax to pay.

Edited by Grumpy Git

44 minutes ago, Grumpy Git said:

Corporation Tax DOES NOT hinder struggling businesses, no profit means no tax to pay.

True. But just because a business is making a profit doesn't mean to say it won't look to cut costs.. retail and hospitality units could close down for example. .and if you reduce net returns it isn't good for business investment.   

1 hour ago, Stive Pesley said:

Ask Mr Odey how much he made during this crisis?

I’m sure that nice Mr Kwarteng has number still!

1 hour ago, Stive Pesley said:

The oligarchs

4 hours ago, Grumpy Git said:

Just imagine if there was ever a chancellor who had previously broken company law regarding money laundering, a CRIMINAL offence no less............... oh!

https://www.buzzfeed.com/alexwickham/jeremy-hunt-broke-anti-money-laundering-laws

It's only a crime when little people do it.

Also, look over there. Corbyn...... MEGHAN.... IMMIGRANTS....

2 hours ago, Stive Pesley said:

Nope, just because there seemed a similar outcome does not mean they were the same beginning. Well only neither Corbyn nor Truss know which way is up that is!

3 hours ago, Stive Pesley said:

Jumping from the roof of a building, to save wear and tear on the stairs, could arguably be considered a  brave move. Though most of us would deem such actions to be madness. Exactly in the same way sane financial expects have reacted to the government's disaster of a budget.

Sections of the financial market have taken advantage of the government's incompetent budget. As for crushing the government, Truss managed that that quite easily on her own. 

Trying to equate a hatchet job done on Corben with how Truss got into her present situation, needs to be in the joke thread.

I've still never seen a decent explanation of how shorting shares, and other such nonsense, helps the economy at large. 

Can anyone explain how it's not been made illegal? 

I understand it makes those who make the correct calls immensely wealthy, but I assume not many institutions a normal everyday person invests with are involved, so what purpose does it serve? 

As far as I can tell, it's using money to make money, for the sole reason of making money, not to provide goods or services that the average joe can benefit from.