World Cup Qatar

Bris Vegas

We’re too scared to lose.  We have so much quality in attacking positions with Kane, Foden, Saka, Sterling, etc.  Yet we play in a way that doesn’t get the best out of them consistently.  It’s like Southgate is Clough and we need a McLaren to take the shackles off and let them play with freedom and be prepared to take risks.

Such lethargy. Very disappointing. 

But no one ever wins the World Cup by starting fabulously well and blowing all their group opposition away. 

Sadly, Southgate's attitude towards Foden and Alexander Arnold suggests we will remain too negative, and won't win the tournament despite the attacking talent at the manager's disposal. 

But I don't see us losing 4-0 to Wales, and qualifying is clearly the first objective. Almost accomplished. 

8 minutes ago, sage said:

Only Kane, Maguire and maybe Shaw came out of that well. 

Finally, a decent comment on the game! 

Maguire did everything you'd want a centre half to do, and nothing you wouldn't.  

No one was exceptional tonight, but that was Trippiers second poor game in a row, the rest at least have a decent performance in the bank.

I didn’t watch it but stats suggest the US gave England a decent game.

I’m not surprised. They aren’t a bad side.

I don’t think England have ever won all three group games during my lifetime.

And past winners France, Germany and Spain didn’t either.

The true tests lie ahead in the knockout rounds. We play a demoralized Wales in our last game knowing a win sees us top the group. 

Well the World cup simply hasn't gripped me at all this year, but decided to take a look tonight once the programme Veronica was watching came to an end. There was a clash, so I clicked onto to ITV1 + 1.

After apparently being quick and flowing in  the first game, I noticed that the first 5 minutes consisted of Chuckle Brothers football played entirely by the cast of the England defence. This was a game where we should have given it a right good go for the opening 10 or 20 minutes to make sure the USA didn't settle into their game. Instead we got out the travel rug and cocoa and said "Here you are , America, make yourself at home".

After 35 minutes I switched over to the uncensored, full adult content ITV 1 and found that I hadn't missed a thing! Typified by a great though ball for Rashford to run onto and belt with all he's got --- GOAL!!!!! But he turned back and gently lobbed the ball into the ever grateful arms of the keeper. My grandad could have done better. In fact I'm a grandad, and I could have done better, and I'm a 65 yar old short fat bloke!

All I can say is thank goodness we've got rid of Rosenior from Derby!

Edited by DavesaRam

5 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

I didn’t watch it but stats suggest the US gave England a decent game.

I’m not surprised. They aren’t a bad side.

I don’t think England have ever won all three group games during my lifetime.

And past winners France, Germany and Spain didn’t either.

The true tests lie ahead in the knockout rounds. We play a demoralized Wales in our last game knowing a win sees us top the group. 

Wales will be up for this game, if the other game ends in a draw, any victory will send Wales through.

8 minutes ago, ram59 said:

Wales will be up for this game, if the other game ends in a draw, any victory will send Wales through.

Wouldn’t Wales also go through if the US beat Iran? Or if Iran beat the US? With Wales then having a better H2H than England?

If Wales win and Iran and US draw, it would see England, Wales and Iran all on 4 points and US bottom on 3.

In that scenario I guess it would go down on GD which currently has England +4 and both Wales and Iran on -2. A Wales win and Iran draw sees Wales with a better GD.

So if all that is correct, then actually a Wales win guarantees them qualification. Bizarre.

Today's results leave the every team with a change of going through to the round of 16. So the last game could well get a bit heated, with both sides allowing their emotions to get the better of them.

The Iranians and Yanks could easily see a few red cards.

As for the other game the Welsh will be well up for it. They still have a chance of qualifying, they'll want to put in a better performance than today's and their biggest incentive is that it's against England.

If England show the same lack of passion against the Welsh as they did tonight, then I can't see us getting away with another nil nil. 

The only thing saving Southgate is our goal difference. So I wouldn't be surprised to see him go full negative mode with a back five and two sitting midfield players.

1 minute ago, 1of4 said:

Today's results leave the every team with a change of going through to the round of 16. So the last game could well get a bit heated, with both sides allowing their emotions to get the better of them.

The Iranians and Yanks could easily see a few red cards.

As for the other game the Welsh will be well up for it. They still have a chance of qualifying, they'll want to put in a better performance than today's and their biggest incentive is that it's against England.

If England show the same lack of passion against the Welsh as they did tonight, then I can't see us getting away with another nil nil. 

The only thing saving Southgate is our goal difference. So I wouldn't be surprised to see him go full negative mode with a back five and two sitting midfield players.

Good grief I can’t wait! ?‍♂️

6 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

Wouldn’t Wales also go through if the US beat Iran? Or if Iran beat the US? With Wales then having a better H2H than England?

If Wales win and Iran and US draw, it would see England, Wales and Iran all on 4 points and US bottom on 3.

In that scenario I guess it would go down on GD which currently has England +4 and both Wales and Iran on -2. A Wales win and Iran draw sees Wales with a better GD.

So if all that is correct, then actually a Wales win guarantees them qualification. Bizarre.

The head-to-head record is unlikely to matter in that the order is:

1. Most points
  2. Goal difference
  3. Goals scored
  4. H2H
  5. Fair play record
  6. Drawing lots

Wales start on -2 and England on +4, but England have scored more, so I think this means:

• If America and Iran draw then Iran have 4 pts and -2, so Wales just have to beat England to qualify. England would still qualify if not losing by more than 5 as that would take our goal difference to -1.
  • If Iran beat America then Iran move to 6 pts and out of Wales' reach, so they need to beat England by 4 goals to overtake England because of goals scored.
  • It America beat Iran then America move to 5 points, so Wales would again have to beat England by 4 goals.

Watched the game at home and 9% of the gas was probably supplied from Qatar and most likely some of the electricity went their way too. God help me I should refuse to watch this but I want to watch England so I’m prepared to overlook all the discrimination etc like everyone else. If it means my energy bills will be lower bring it on.