A refereeing conspiracy?

IslandExile

1 hour ago, Jimbo Ram said:

But how does that work with Barnsley last week and our first goal? Surely he would have given offside? I just think there is always been a slight bias towards home teams and we have been on the end of a few bad decisions. I really don’t think there is a conspiracy…

Yes there is

We all know who tells them to give us freaking bugger all.

1 hour ago, B4ev6is said:

Yes there is

We all know who tells them to give us freaking bugger all.

43 minutes ago, Dcfcsr92 said:

duck the efl after this season if we go down we should sue the elf for all the bad decisions 

The EFL don't appoint matchday referees though do they

I was at the game today, close to parallel with the six yard box and could clearly see the controversial decisions, apart from our penalty shout down the other end, and am seething. Football is a game of fine margins but with decisions going against us consistently like that we've no chance.

In the first half they had two attacks that were clearly offside in the build up but not given. From this I had a sense of what was going on and going to happen. 

All too predictable that the ball went out of play that should have been our goal kick but ended as their throw in, they then took from the wrong place and scored from.

It's all very well saying we should have created more or taken our chances, but if opposition teams are gifted such an advantage I'm afraid any team will be hard pressed to overcome that.

The hard thing for me to take is when it is so obvious, it just spoiled the game as it then isn't really a sporting contest. The refereeing performance in 'Escape to Victory' seemed more even handed.

1 hour ago, Tyler Durden said:

The EFL don't appoint matchday referees though do they

The PGMOL who oversee and appoint referees is funded by the PL, EFL and FA. I'm sure they are free from being biased by any agenda their effective employers may have.

18 minutes ago, WestKentRam said:

I was at the game today, close to parallel with the six yard box and could clearly see the controversial decisions, apart from our penalty shout down the other end, and am seething. Football is a game of fine margins but with decisions going against us consistently like that we've no chance.

In the first half they had two attacks that were clearly offside in the build up but not given. From this I had a sense of what was going on and going to happen. 

All too predictable that the ball went out of play that should have been our goal kick but ended as their throw in, they then took from the wrong place and scored from.

It's all very well saying we should have created more or taken our chances, but if opposition teams are gifted such an advantage I'm afraid any team will be hard pressed to overcome that.

The hard thing for me to take is when it is so obvious, it just spoiled the game as it then isn't really a sporting contest. The refereeing performance in 'Escape to Victory' seemed more even handed.

Not trying to be argumentative but once the throw in was given incorrectly isn't it up to us to then defend the next phase of play which we didn't do hence why they scored  

15 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

Not trying to be argumentative but once the throw in was given incorrectly isn't it up to us to then defend the next phase of play which we didn't do hence why they scored  

Absolutely, but if they are given more potential scoring opportunities in a game than they would otherwise have had, because of favourable refereeing decisions, then because football is a low scoring game, we will be at a huge disadvantage unless every single situation is defended 100% effectively.

1 minute ago, WestKentRam said:

Absolutely, but if they are given more potential scoring opportunities in a game than they would otherwise have had, because of favourable refereeing decisions, then because football is a low scoring game, we will be at a huge disadvantage unless every single situation is defended 100% effectively.

The nutmegs which Anthony did on Bielik to set their first goal up was not down to the standard of officiating.

I concur that it should have been a throw in however after that the clock resets and we didn't defend the next phase sufficiently enough hence why they scored.

6 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

The nutmegs which Anthony did on Bielik to set their first goal up was not down to the standard of officiating.

I concur that it should have been a throw in however after that the clock resets and we didn't defend the next phase sufficiently enough hence why they scored.

Yes if it's wholly down to their player beating one of ours or our poor defending then fair do's. However, if an incorrect refereeing decision helped in this move or leads to the subsequent goal then they are being given a helping hand to win along the way.

1 minute ago, WestKentRam said:

Yes if it's wholly down to their player beating one of ours or our poor defending then fair do's. However, if an incorrect refereeing decision helped in this move or leads to the subsequent goal then they are being given a helping hand to win along the way.

Think we're going round in circles so I'll leave it here - totally agree it shouldn't have been a throw in. Everything that follows after that is in our own gift to make sure that Bournemouth didn't score. 

9 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

Think we're going round in circles so I'll leave it here - totally agree it shouldn't have been a throw in. Everything that follows after that is in our own gift to make sure that Bournemouth didn't score. 

Yes I agree with you on this, but just feel strongly this was their third attacking opportunity given by a poor officiating decision in the first half, and this gave them a distinct advantage.

On a separate point, while perusing info re the PGMOL while waiting for MOTD to start, I find it interesting to note that referees are classed as self employed and have a contract with the PGMOL for each individual match, lasting from the Monday before the match until the post-match report is completed.

https://www.taxjournal.com/articles/hmrc-v-professional-game-match-officials-ltd

Referees must be under some pressure to do well in each game, in case the EFL/PL/FA funded PGMOL decides not to require their services for future games.