A refereeing conspiracy?

IslandExile

2 hours ago, David said:

There is no referee conspiracy.

We're feeling hard done by and that is adding weight to a conspiracy.

Truth is, the standard of officiating is pretty poo and all clubs are suffering.

The answer is VAR, but then most are against it and it's not completely fool proof. 

Unless we can train computer software to be fool proof in making decisions, we will always have those questionable decisions.

Questionable decisions which are part of football, they form the basis of conversations from Mon-Fri.

I love what Rooney has done, but he was wrong to call out the referees the way he has. 

I like to think of it as frustration and trying to defend the team, but I don't see it helping us in anyway, if anything the referee union will take issue with his comments and be more reluctant to award us anything.

You may recall in my submission that the job of match officials is really difficult, and that mistakes are inevitable. And the Morrison non-penalty may be just that - an error. But normally a major error only occurs once a match, maybe twice on a really bad day.

What has been happening at Derby matches for far too long is 2 3 or 4 major decisions going against Derby, which is way more than the norm for genuine errors, a fact compounded by this happening in virtually every match.

An analogy might help. Your phone/TV/computer screen picture is made up of pixels. The odd pixel here or there tells us virtually nothing, but with a whole load of them put together we begin to get the picture.

Graham Halsey’s autobiography blows the cover of whether conspiring takes place, and it is just as possible in the EFL.

7 hours ago, David said:

I love what Rooney has done, but he was wrong to call out the referees the way he has. 

I like to think of it as frustration and trying to defend the team, but I don't see it helping us in anyway, if anything the referee union will take issue with his comments and be more reluctant to award us anything.

I think Rooney has done the "not calling referees out" for the majority of the season - and its not worked, so he has cracked and decided it can't get any worse. 

This season has been the worst I've ever known for clearly biased decisions against us in my 50 years watching the Rams.

I may cable tie myself to the next referee to cheat against us, starting Saturday against Coventry.

I remember watching a TV programme on referees' decision making a while ago, possibly the Redknapp and Carragher one, and was surprised that one of the referees said in the build up to the game they discuss which players to watch out for as known divers who try and con a decision from a referee etc.

In my naivety I thought that referees would enter each game with a clear, unbiased mind, but of course this is impossible. But to actively research each club before a game makes me think that biases are likely to enter their decision making. Unless referees live in some sort of monk like existence, with no access to the internet, social media, newspapers, or people with an interest in football to discuss clubs with, then pre-existing ideas are bound to influence them.

It isn't too  much of a stretch to think that a referee, who is self employed and given a job to referee a game on a week to week basis, knows that that the organisation that ultimately funds their livelihood has stated on the record that they want Derby County relegated, and this influences their decision making during the match. I am sure it is not as overt as sitting around in a darkened room with orders to make sure a result goes a certain way and a conspiracy as such, but it would be unreasonable to think that biases do not occur in the decisions they make.

10 hours ago, uttoxram75 said:

I think Rooney has done the "not calling referees out" for the majority of the season - and its not worked, so he has cracked and decided it can't get any worse. 

This season has been the worst I've ever known for clearly biased decisions against us in my 50 years watching the Rams.

I may cable tie myself to the next referee to cheat against us, starting Saturday against Coventry.

Have you seen who we’ve got fir the Coventry match?

1 hour ago, DavesaRam said:

Have you seen who we’ve got fir the Coventry match?

Darren Bond. Another awful, incompetent referee (who isn't though). 

Couple of incidents we had whilst he was the match official last year:

Derby 0-2 Reading - booked Byrne when he came on as a sub at half time.
Derby 0-1 Preston - Didn't give an obvious foul on Sibley in the middle of the pitch, they went on the counter and scored in the 90th minute.

1 hour ago, Jubbs said:

Derby 0-1 Preston - Didn't give an obvious foul on Sibley in the middle of the pitch, they went on the counter and scored in the 90th minute.

Other highlights of this game were:

Waghorn was sent off after 20 minutes. 

Jozwiak was through on goal and a foul was then given against him.

5 minutes of added time at the end of the game at 0-0 were indicated, but when Sibley was fouled in the move they went on to score from this was in the 90+6th minute.

I'm looking forward to tomorrow and will keep my usual uncritical, open mind as to the referee's performance!

6 hours ago, WestKentRam said:

But to actively research each club before a game makes me think that biases are likely to enter their decision making. 

Surely the reason they research each club before officiating is to do a better job, to make fewer mistakes. Don’t understand why you describe it as bias 

3 minutes ago, kevinhectoring said:

Surely the reason they research each club before officiating is to do a better job, to make fewer mistakes. Don’t understand why you describe it as bias 

If in their research they come across player X who has a tendency to go down easily, if said player is chopped down in their game they might be influenced by what others have said before rather than what they see if front of their eyes.

A bit like what happened in the clip with Chris Martin against Burnley when he was given a second yellow card and sent off for a 'dive' against Burnley. 

10 minutes ago, WestKentRam said:

If in their research they come across player X who has a tendency to go down easily, if said player is chopped down in their game they might be influenced by what others have said before rather than what they see if front of their eyes.

A bit like what happened in the clip with Chris Martin against Burnley when he was given a second yellow card and sent off for a 'dive' against Burnley. 

Same reason that jury members are not told about previous convictions 

35 minutes ago, WestKentRam said:

Maybe. But if players who develop that sort of reputation lose the benefit of the doubt, that doesn’t seem a bad thing. As he got older, CM was in the habit of going down easily. It did seem that refs gave him less and less for it, as time went on.
Jason Knight goes down a lot but tends to cleverly draw a foul rather than invent one. I think he gets a pretty good deal from most refs.
Joz had a poor habit of going down too easily when he was done for pace (which was quite often). I think he was frequently denied fouls, maybe because of his reputation ?

1 hour ago, kevinhectoring said:

Maybe. But if players who develop that sort of reputation lose the benefit of the doubt, that doesn’t seem a bad thing. As he got older, CM was in the habit of going down easily. It did seem that refs gave him less and less for it, as time went on.
Jason Knight goes down a lot but tends to cleverly draw a foul rather than invent one. I think he gets a pretty good deal from most refs.
Joz had a poor habit of going down too easily when he was done for pace (which was quite often). I think he was frequently denied fouls, maybe because of his reputation ?

I just think that referees shouldn't do research on clubs and players prior to a match as this will colour their judgement. It would be great if decisions are just made on what they see on the pitch rather than being based on other factors.

8 hours ago, WestKentRam said:

Other highlights of this game were:

Waghorn was sent off after 20 minutes. 

Jozwiak was through on goal and a foul was then given against him.

5 minutes of added time at the end of the game at 0-0 were indicated, but when Sibley was fouled in the move they went on to score from this was in the 90+6th minute.

I'm looking forward to tomorrow and will keep my usual uncritical, open mind as to the referee's performance!

ME TOO!!!! ???????

Another shocking refereeing performance in the Coventry home game. At last two clear pens (taking out Buchanan and the rugby tackle on Davies) not given and then the bizarre not sending off of the Coventry defender for his kicks in the head. I think it may well be the case we wouldn't have got the penalty we did get had Rooney not made his pronouncements. Yes it was "soft", but would have been confirmed by VAR if we had it (and there wasn't a refereeing conspiracy). Pleased to hear the crowd loud and proud singing "duck the EFL" when decision after decision went wrongly against us.

4 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

Another shocking refereeing performance in the Coventry home game. At last two clear pens (taking out Buchanan and the rugby tackle on Davies) not given and then the bizarre not sending off of the Coventry defender for his kicks in the head. I think it may well be the case we wouldn't have got the penalty we did get had Rooney not made his pronouncements. Yes it was "soft", but would have been confirmed by VAR if we had it (and there wasn't a refereeing conspiracy). Pleased to hear the crowd loud and proud singing "duck the EFL" when decision after decision went wrongly against us.

If you watch the Sky replay of the incident, apart from the pundits saying Tom went down easily, because Sky are all whoever we are playing aren't they, the second foul is quite a clattering and a definite foul. I'm with you on the rest of your comments though. Although I would, wouldn't I?

4 hours ago, DavesaRam said:

If you watch the Sky replay of the incident, apart from the pundits saying Tom went down easily, because Sky are all whoever we are playing aren't they, the second foul is quite a clattering and a definite foul. I'm with you on the rest of your comments though. Although I would, wouldn't I?

The referee Bond is a complete and utter ******. He should be ashamed of himself. Why would you go to work determined to cheat?

Live feed from chez Bond...."how are you darling, had a good day at work? ",  "yes dear, managed to cheat like fck against Derby again, think I got away away with it and  Rick Parry has sent me a thumbs up message". 

7 hours ago, uttoxram75 said:

The referee Bond is a complete and utter ******. He should be ashamed of himself. Why would you go to work determined to cheat?

Live feed from chez Bond...."how are you darling, had a good day at work? ",  "yes dear, managed to cheat like fck against Derby again, think I got away away with it and  Rick Parry has sent me a thumbs up message". 

?