Nathan Byrne

DarkFruitsRam7

Awesome today, was absolutely everywhere, not normally what you’d see from a RB! Thought he was by far and away our poorest performer for the first half of the season, to be honest I don’t think he looked up for the fight. Was starting to feel it was time to phase him out for Ebosele at full back, but hopefully today is a turning point. Just needs to get his crossing back to the standards he showed last season now.

6 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

Awesome today, was absolutely everywhere, not normally what you’d see from a RB! Thought he was by far and away our poorest performer for the first half of the season, to be honest I don’t think he looked up for the fight. Was starting to feel it was time to phase him out for Ebosele at full back, but hopefully today is a turning point. Just needs to get his crossing back to the standards he showed last season now.

He works really hard and he rarely gives the ball away. I think he’s at his best with Joz ahead but his link play with Festy has got so much better. 

• 4 weeks later...

Most importantly,  he avoided a booking on Saturday so I think the imminent suspension due accruing too many yellow cards too quickly has been averted hasn't it?

He has become key these last couple of months, seems to be solid defensively (which I'd criticised previously for positioning and lack of strength) and looks to create going forwards which we always knew he was good at, but drifting infield a lot nowadays to join in also.

2 hours ago, TheresOnlyWanChope said:

Has he been good the whole season? I remember saying he was a quality player and people laughing at my comment! Always thought he’s pretty solid. Fans are fickle 

Since Christmas,  I think DFR said. I would agree with that.

I honestly think player of the season has to be between him and Curtiss. So consistent. Leaves nothing, runs and works for every minute. Liked him from day 1. 

The off the ball runs he does, the awareness of the need to “deflect” defenders thinking is excellent. Knows about the overlap on the flank that for me is vastly underused by other players … so many wingers wanting to cut inside which defenders recognise …  but when Nathan is bursting down wide the defender has doubts 

Sorry to be slightly controversial here, but I just don't get the Nathan Byrne love in.

Was at the game last night, and the whole team looked flat second half, but I thought Byrne, for all his experience and apparent quality was particularly poor.

He constantly flatters to deceive. How many times does he take a man on? How many times does he whip a decent cross in? How many actual tackles does he make or crosses does he stop?

I lost count of the number of times he had space to run into last night, but after setting off, ran out of steam / ran out of ideas / got caught by the chasing defender, then cut back and played the ball back.

If that was one of the youngsters I would have some sympathy, but Byrne is supposed to be one of the established pro's at the club.

I know we are all down after last night, but I think we seriously need better full backs next year, whatever division we are in. I for one wouldn't be sorry to see him go.

He was up against a fast, tricky winger in Khaddri. Blackburn were constantly trying to play long diagonal balls behind both him and Buchanan, knowing that our FBs usually play high up. Perhaps that's why he didn't throw caution to the wind. He didn't cope with Khaddri as well as he has other opponents recently, but he certainly wasn't dominated, and he certainly wasn't to blame for the defeat. 

And if anyone thinks we're going to sign better full-backs for next season, they're living in cloud cuckoo land.