Boro (A) Match Thread

B4ev6is

2 minutes ago, jimtastic56 said:

You cannot allow yourself to get too down about one result . But our defending was sloppy and we didn’t seem to be set up to cope with their stand out player Jones. Something Wazza needs to sort in the summer is the lack of a hard man in midfield. Crooks did as he liked and needed sorting.

That's where we miss Shinnie, but it'd be better if referees just did their jobs properly. 

3 minutes ago, jimtastic56 said:

You cannot allow yourself to get too down about one result . But our defending was sloppy and we didn’t seem to be set up to cope with their stand out player Jones. Something Wazza needs to sort in the summer is the lack of a hard man in midfield. Crooks did as he liked and needed sorting.

I think Shinnie would have made a big difference yesterday. Sadly we had to sell him for 50p due to spurious claims from parasite clubs being made against us. Sadly the one man who could have sorted Crooks was Mike Dean but he didn’t seem to think a forearm smash and over the top tackle were worthy of being disciplined. He was too busy getting in our players’ way and smiling. 

Genuinely think the difference between our two reds and the one yesterday was that Mike Dean was experienced enough to take his time and not rush into his decision.

I usually go with what the ‘Tomori rule’ with red cards. The vast majority of challenges can be ok aslong as you protect the opponent, which generally means you have to be in ‘control’ of the tackle and whether there is intent to harm the opponent. Tomori got away with a lot but he never got close to a player with his ‘two footers’, he was always in control of the tackle. What’s frustrating to me is that I don’t think you can argue that Crooks isn’t in control because he misses the ball, gives no protection to Bird and there is intent to lay something on him. 

That’s what is so frustrating to me, I don’t think Morrison and Stearmans tackles failed the Tomori rule, if the refs in those games took their time a bit more they may have come to a more sensible conclusion. Then yesterdays did and because we had an experienced ref who’s so used to VAR then it’s works out against us once again. 

We’ve had dreadful luck this season in that front, it’s up to you what conclusions you come up with. 

16 minutes ago, TuffLuff said:

Genuinely think the difference between our two reds and the one yesterday was that Mike Dean was experienced enough to take his time and not rush into his decision.

I usually go with what the ‘Tomori rule’ with red cards. The vast majority of challenges can be ok aslong as you protect the opponent, which generally means you have to be in ‘control’ of the tackle and whether there is intent to harm the opponent. Tomori got away with a lot but he never got close to a player with his ‘two footers’, he was always in control of the tackle. What’s frustrating to me is that I don’t think you can argue that Crooks isn’t in control because he misses the ball, gives no protection to Bird and there is intent to lay something on him. 

That’s what is so frustrating to me, I don’t think Morrison and Stearmans tackles failed the Tomori rule, if the refs in those games took their time a bit more they may have come to a more sensible conclusion. Then yesterdays did and because we had an experienced ref who’s so used to VAR then it’s works out against us once again. 

We’ve had dreadful luck this season in that front, it’s up to you what conclusions you come up with. 

Not to mention Thompson having his upper thigh taken out at forest and the lad hasn’t been the same since that, whilst the referee had a clear view 

14 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

"...There are two ways this can go. I have seen so many managers and players take the easy route out, and they [Derby] are certainly not taking the easy route out, they are alive and kicking, and we have had to play well today to get a result.

"They got it back to 1-1 and it really evened itself up. We took a couple of big moments just before half time that gave us a big advantage, but they fought to the end. 

"They are fighting for the manager and the supporters, and for them to be in contact or in touch is a brilliant achievement and I am sure it is an achievement that is not finished yet.

"They are going to really push at the back end of the season because of the attitude, the leadership of the manager, and the assistant manager, and most importantly the attitude of the group. We have had to play well to get that result."

He wouldn't have said any of that had we beaten them.

5 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

Not to mention Thompson having his upper thigh taken out at forest and the lad hasn’t been the same since that, whilst the referee had a clear view 

Yeah was a strange one that, but everything was falling in Forest’s favour at that time.

What I can’t work out is why was Boro vs Derby a Cat. C (or something like that) game where we needed a top prem ref but Forest vs Derby wasn’t? Says to me how unorganised and out of touch those in charge are (presume it’s the EFL who decide that, but if not I’ll throw the FA under the bus too!)

2 hours ago, Kingpin said:

Neither affected the result. Neither were reds. That’s probably why. 

Crooks scored the 3rd goal which effectively killed the game off, and arguably he was offside. But if he had been red-carded for his assault in Beilik very early on in the game, it would have been an entirely different story.

But how could the EFL/Gibson appointed ref red card one of his own players?

In addition, there is a pattern when Derby play thugs. We start ok, holding our own, but gradually tail off in performance - remember the matches against Rotherham last season? Or Birmingham this season? Sadly we didn’t have our 10 minute flurry at the end. But Dean definitely affected the result.

5 minutes ago, TuffLuff said:

Yeah was a strange one that, but everything was falling in Forest’s favour at that time.

What I can’t work out is why was Boro vs Derby a Cat. C (or something like that) game where we needed a top prem ref but Forest vs Derby wasn’t? Says to me how unorganised and out of touch those in charge are (presume it’s the EFL who decide that, but if not I’ll throw the FA under the bus too!)

It was rated Cat C because the Gibson issue takes the match to way more than local rivalry. But I did ask in this thread when Dean was announced as ref what outrageous decisions he would come up with. Well now we know.

4 minutes ago, kingsy1884 said:

I was thinking has any team had a red card whilst playing against Derby this season?

In the meantime we have had 4.... 

Both Grabbans and Crooks looked awful. Yet saw nothing but yellows. Small decisions which could change games.

Plus a 3 match ban for Forsyth in first forest game 

4 hours ago, Ellafella said:

When things turned nasty after the game, and the police horses mobilised and the scuffles started, Edward and me, fully scarfed, got separated into the mass of Boro fans. We were fully absorbed into the middle of Boro fans baying for a stack up. After a few provocative “Enjoy League 1s” in stepped the Neils and said “Right, we’ve got your back, No Boro fans will touch you whilst we are here” and duly chaperoned us back to the safety of our car.

Proper football fans and proper people. Thanks to the Neils who are always welcome at the Brunswick Inn and Pride Park whilst we are about. Enjoy the rest of the season Neil & Neil and Slainte. ?

57F4B180-17D8-4A83-A7F0-02448B39A5D8.jpeg

They can't be from Middlesborough as the youth is wearing an Armani puffer.

Must be fake. 

Edited by Tyler Durden

49 minutes ago, kingsy1884 said:

I was thinking has any team had a red card whilst playing against Derby this season?

In the meantime we have had 4.... 

Both Grabbans and Crooks looked awful. Yet saw nothing but yellows. Small decisions which could change games.

And Samba's on Lawrence.  He got sent off yesterday but when he punched Lawrence they both ended up getting booked.

4 hours ago, Kingpin said:

Neither affected the result. Neither were reds. That’s probably why. 

The Crooks challenge is a red card all day every day in the modern game (not that I agree with it), I'd suggest you take a look at the Morrison and Stearman red cards if you want comparable evidence. 

Not sure how you can conclude that them being down to 10 men for 60 minutes would not affect the game, especially given that Crooks scored their third goal.

11 v 11 we were well beaten, with Isaiah Jones being the main difference between the teams but, if the rules were applied consistently and correctly by the ref, it should not have been 11 v 11.

1 hour ago, Kingpin said:

Accept we were poo due mainly to a piss weak squad and move on. I have. 

Its possible to do that and also point out that the referee has made poor decisions. 

Even without the sending off, it we had defended properly we could have taken a draw yesterday as, Jones aside, Boro weren't really that good.