Boro (A) Match Thread

B4ev6is

3 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

This. I get that the ref was either biased or incompetent in a way that was terrible for us, and that we were very unlucky with own goals and deflections, but the truth remains we are consistently the architects of our own downfall. Yet again, we overplayed at the back in the wrong situation and were punished for it. For all the good he has done in holding the club together in a time of such crisis, we cannot hide from this being a shocking failure of coaching by Rooney and his backroom team. 

When he is asked about his "risk vs reward" mantra he will say he takes full responsibility, it's how he wants the team to play and then he might point to one or two goals we have scored from doing this. Yet over the season so far we must have conceded 15-20 goals from this utterly crazy way of playing. It has to stop.

I have a feeling that the true percentage of goals conceded coming from passing from the back is somewhat lower than 57.1%.

1 hour ago, Carl Sagan said:

This. I get that the ref was either biased or incompetent in a way that was terrible for us, and that we were very unlucky with own goals and deflections, but the truth remains we are consistently the architects of our own downfall. Yet again, we overplayed at the back in the wrong situation and were punished for it. For all the good he has done in holding the club together in a time of such crisis, we cannot hide from this being a shocking failure of coaching by Rooney and his backroom team. 

When he is asked about his "risk vs reward" mantra he will say he takes full responsibility, it's how he wants the team to play and then he might point to one or two goals we have scored from doing this. Yet over the season so far we must have conceded 15-20 goals from this utterly crazy way of playing. It has to stop.

I think it depends on the quality of defender and there game.  It worked with the occasional error whilst we had a player with natural comfort on the ball and great organisation in Jagielka.  Not so much know with Stearman whose game enough but has nowhere near the technical aptitude and a fullback at centre half now he's missing.  We've let in some terrible goals in the past 5 and yesterday was rumbling in the background.  The problem in conjunction with this of course is that without Richards we can't play it long as Plange won't win anything in the air and we don't have natural wingers to clear it long who can hold it . Give the ball to Bielik deep is the natural out ball and the only option currently if we are going to persist with this but he's still 4 or 5 games from being sharp enough to not be blowing after an hour.  Squad strength is now showing itself as an issue. 

23 hours ago, Yani P said:

Notice that Rooney rarely comments on things that don't go our way. No mention of the 2 potential red cards or very poor ref. Any other manager would have spent the entire presser bleating about that..imagine Colin lol..classy our boss..

Id say his post match press recently has been very impressive 

7 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

Some of the players decision making has been absolutely atrocious, prime example for thr last Boro goal when Allsop attempts to retrieve a backpass then plays it straight to one of his defenders whose immediately under pressure. 

Would have been better just to let the ball go out for a corner or just hoof it into touch. 

Same with Stearman getting sent off against Huddersfield after pissing about with it at the back. Everyone says we have a wafer thin squad but doesn't help making them play virtually an entire game with 10 players. 

Can only assume the above are direct instructions on how to play from Rooney we need to cut it out pronto. 

On 13/02/2022 at 12:23, ollycutts1982 said:

It is shocking, it’s the basics they get wrong that worries me. The amount of times they out the whistle to their lips and don’t blow is ridiculous. I tried telling them go with your instinct. Making a wrong decision is sometimes better than making no decision at all. Another big failing for me is not using their whistle just pointing. Having played, watched and coached the best refs are the ones who talk the players through the game. The first thing any ref should be taught is to own the pitch and a large part of that is being vocal. Don’t get me wrong there are a fair amount of idiots attending grassroots games shouting and harassing the refs which again is unacceptable. Again for me it starts at the top. Little changes would make huge differences. 

Watched Sheff Wed Rotherham yesterday. Darren Drysdale I thought was class. Best I’ve seen in a long time. A smile goes a long way and his communication with the players was exemplary 

My first game in quite a while. Ale at York Tap before and after helped alleviate the pain I have to say. Not sure too many of us expected anything, always hoping of course. First time we’ve conceded more than two in a game this season my mate told me. Let’s not be despondent. We dust ourselves down and make sure of three points next Saturday. Massive. 

Vocal support was immense, my voice is returning to pre Boro levels now. 

34 minutes ago, SKRam said:

Watched Sheff Wed Rotherham yesterday. Darren Drysdale I thought was class. Best I’ve seen in a long time. A smile goes a long way and his communication with the players was exemplary 

Yeah he was good... and certainly better at communication than he was last season! ?

12 hours ago, Crewton said:

If they'd spent less on banners and more on tickets they might have had fewer than 7,000 empty seats. 

It was because they were terrified of the violent thuggary and destruction they'd been telling themselves derby were going to bring...

...it's going to be like Stalin crushing the Hungarian uprising....