Preparations for League 1

YouRams

Not a doom and gloom thread, not a Rooney bashing thread, but a realist thread. Should we now be preparing for League 1 and stop the “we’ll fight till the end talk”? 

The task was neigh on impossible with the -21 points, even adding them back on we’d still be heading into a relegation battle, so for me we should start the preparations now. Any saleable asset that will save our club and reduce the hmrc debt we should be looking to move on for a fee in Jan, if this means resting them and “playing the kids” to avoid injuries then so be it, and if that makes us a lot less competitive that’s on the EFL’s head not ours. We should be giving as many minutes as possible to the ones that will be staying for the rebuild. 

5 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

How would a team prepare for the Championship in the Prem? How does a team prepare for League 1?

Blood the youth as much as possible and rest the ones we’re moving on, even the most optimistic Rams fan surely knows deep down we have zero chance of staying up. 

Edited by YouRams

3 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Let the young players sink and rest the players we hope someone will think can play?

That’s part of the risk do you leave them in the shop window and risk injury or like you say hope someone will pick them up on previous form. I can’t see anyone being critical of the young when we’re sinking anyway. 

Play

Alsop

Ebosele       Cashin  Davies (Cap)     Williams

Knight                   Bird               Thompson

Watson       Sibley

Plange

Subs - Stretton, Hutchinson, McDonald, +2 other Academy Grads

For the rest of the season. Sell the others to reduce the debt    

28 minutes ago, YouRams said:

Not a doom and gloom thread, not a Rooney bashing thread, but a realist thread. Should we now be preparing for League 1 and stop the “we’ll fight till the end talk”? 

The task was neigh on impossible with the -21 points, even adding them back on we’d still be heading into a relegation battle, so for me we should start the preparations now. Any saleable asset that will save our club and reduce the hmrc debt we should be looking to move on for a fee in Jan, if this means resting them and “playing the kids” to avoid injuries then so be it, and if that makes us a lot less competitive that’s on the EFL’s head not ours. We should be giving as many minutes as possible to the ones that will be staying for the rebuild. 

What makes you think “the kids” that are good enough to be bloodied in the first team will still be around next season?

Maybe some of our best saleable assets are actually the kids.

For me, I’d say keep on fighting but continue to play the youngsters alongside the more senior players. They’ll learn a lot over the coming months.

9 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

What makes you think “the kids” that are good enough to be bloodied in the first team will still be around next season?

Maybe some of our best saleable assets are actually the kids.

For me, I’d say keep on fighting but continue to play the youngsters alongside the more senior players. They’ll learn a lot over the coming months.

That’s where Rooney should be asking the questions who wants to stick around and who wants to go, you wouldn’t begrudge any of them for wanting to play at a higher level. The fight should change for me to prove yourself and fight for a place next season rather than fight for the impossible. 

25 minutes ago, YouRams said:

That’s part of the risk do you leave them in the shop window and risk injury or like you say hope someone will pick them up on previous form. I can’t see anyone being critical of the young when we’re sinking anyway. 

There's plenty that are critical of the Club when we are sinking...

I’d like to think that, if we are financially under no pressure by January (we’ve been bought), the club will look to retain the youngsters unless we get actual value for money I.e. multiple millions for the likes of bird and knight 

I think many of the youngsters, at this point, are of no interest to other clubs ie Watson, ebosele (only due to lack of exposure) and they will stay anyway

Obviously, if we need cash in January then Bird and Knight will be our most saleable assets (due to contract length, age and ability) so we may struggle not to sell at vastly under valued prices 

4 minutes ago, YouRams said:

That’s where Rooney should be asking the questions who wants to stick around and who wants to go, you wouldn’t begrudge any of them for wanting to play at a higher level. The fight should change for me to prove yourself and fight for a place next season rather than fight for the impossible. 

Presumably every youngster is likely to say they’re happy to stay. That is until an offer comes in for them. I’m not sure such a question is likely to get an entirely honest, and certainly not binding, answer.

13 minutes ago, YouRams said:

It doesn't matter what questions WR asks...these players have Agents, The Agents will be advising their employer(the players)of what playing in League 1 means and what the wages will be.

If Rooney expects to be manager still next season he neess to get a style of play that can get us promotrd because the current way would not get us up.

After Jan we will have more of an idea of the players who are likely to be here next year & that is when he needs to bring in any youngsters that we feel could make the step up