Preparations for League 1

YouRams

We have several players out of contract in the summer. All our keepers. So they're not keepers. Marshall will almost certainly go in January possibly Roos too .. why else was he dropped today? CKR looks past it too. Morrison not much use atm he can go in summer if not before. Can Curtis carry on for another year? Jags too?   the Polish guys will be off in January I think too. Lawrence is going to be kept til summer according to Rooney. I'm not so sure.

All of these will save on wages but not get us much in transfer fees. Which we might need to satisfy creditors.

So then we have the likes of Knight, Bird and Buchanan if we need fees in in January. Sibley looks so out of favour , if Rooney stays then I cannot see Sibley staying.

Then we have Rooney and Rosenior. Rooney has a year and a half of his contract left. Can we afford to get rid of him even if we wanted to? Rosenior may be less secure maybe.  

We wil be left with kids and the old guard at the back. Maybe. Mind you.. Williams,  Thompson, Plange, Stretton, Watson , Ebosele they have all had their moments and could do a job in League One. As could Shinnie and maybe one or two of the oldies. Still leaves a lot of rebuilding to do though.   

This is probably a best case scenario for next season's squad ?

Allsop

Festy   Jagielka   Davies   Buchanan

Tommo   Bird

Knight   Sibley   Hutchinson

Plange

Squadies: McDonald, Stearman, Cashin, Forsyth, Williams, JBrown, Watson, Stretton

Marshall, Roos, Byrne, Shinnie, Bielik, Lawrence, Jozwiak, Ravel, Kazim, Baldock... if not sold, won't see their contracts renewed - either we won't want them, can't afford them, or they will receive better offers elsewhere.

7 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Allsop

Tommo   Bird

Plange

Squadies: McDonald, Stearman, Cashin, Forsyth, Williams, JBrown, Watson, Stretton

Marshall, Roos, Byrne, Shinnie, Bielik, Lawrence, Jozwiak, Ravel, Kazim, Baldock... if not sold, won't see their contracts renewed - either we won't want them, can't afford them, or they will receive better offers elsewhere.

You think Buchanan, Bird, Knight and Sibley will be happy to play in League 1? I very much doubt it….

1 minute ago, Jimbo Ram said:

You think Buchanan, Bird, Knight and Sibley will be happy to play in League 1? I very much doubt it….

Hence "best case". I like to think they'd be willing to stay with us to get us back to the Championship, but they will definitely have a host of clubs showing interest in the summer.

19 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Allsop

Tommo   Bird

Plange

I would expect we would bring players in though. 

17 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

How would a team prepare for the Championship in the Prem? How does a team prepare for League 1?

You hire a faded out of work manager, bring in a load of mercenary loans so as to protect the kids. 

Then you hope for investment in the summer so you can assemble an over large squad of mainly hopeless players. 

Leastways that's how I remember 2008.....?

17 hours ago, YouRams said:

Blood the youth as much as possible and rest the ones we’re moving on, even the most optimistic Rams fan surely knows deep down we have zero chance of staying up. 

I don't think there's any real way of 'preparing for League one.' That's something which is done off the field, not on it. We're already blooding the youth. If you just put a team completely of youngsters out there then that will just backfire. It will be a total embarrassment. We should still keep playing with a full strength team and fight for survival until it's mathematically impossible. 

Edited by Rammy03

I think prep actually starts after end of Jan.

We should then know about ownership (or not). Fire sale will have happened (or not). Players should have indicated (or not) willingness to sign contracts.

Before then you can only have some ideas for different scenarios.

Edited by Dean (hick) Saunders

Assuming we are in League One next year, I would make it a racing certainty that we will not get out in the first year. Players like Bird and Knight will be sold as they have value and frankly we would be holding them back through no fault of their own. Many others are out of contract and will leave for nothing or be sold in January for a tiny fee. We have many youngsters of a decent standard but statistically few of these are likely to be League One standard. That's not a criticism, but more often than not youngsters who look good in the academy and are on the verge of the first team rarely stay at Championship level. 

Notwithstanding these issues, even if we had the same squad as either last season or this season, I would not fancy us to get out of League One. We have been one of the poorest performing teams in the country since soon after the pandemic and I would imagine we are one of the most toothless going forward. 

1 minute ago, The Key Club King said:

Assuming we are in League One next year, I would make it a racing certainty that we will not get out in the first year. Players like Bird and Knight will be sold as they have value and frankly we would be holding them back through no fault of their own. Many others are out of contract and will leave for nothing or be sold in January for a tiny fee. We have many youngsters of a decent standard but statistically few of these are likely to be League One standard. That's not a criticism, but more often than not youngsters who look good in the academy and are on the verge of the first team rarely stay at Championship level. 

Notwithstanding these issues, even if we had the same squad as either last season or this season, I would not fancy us to get out of League One. We have been one of the poorest performing teams in the country since soon after the pandemic and I would imagine we are one of the most toothless going forward. 

If we can keep Jags & Davies (and there legs have another year left in them) then we should be reasonably tight at the back and then should mean a couple of goals per game should see us winning frequently.

Agree that it won’t be easy to find the two goals, but hopefully we will be a reasonably attractive proposition for quality prem loans..

2 hours ago, Dean (hick) Saunders said:

If we can keep Jags & Davies (and there legs have another year left in them) then we should be reasonably tight at the back and then should mean a couple of goals per game should see us winning frequently.

Agree that it won’t be easy to find the two goals, but hopefully we will be a reasonably attractive proposition for quality prem loans..

There are a lot of opportunities there but it will be a big rebuild and we obviously don't know the budget. The major positive is that the wage bill will be far lower than other big clubs have had on relegation to League One. Only Bielik and Jozwiak will be highly paid and I would expect both to leave. Rooney is the main problem with wages and I think we may have to test his loyalty and principles by saying you can stay on if you take an enormous wage cut or you can leave for free. The ball is entirely in his court with this though. 

At this point, Rooney should be trying for every possible point. I don't think that this squad is capable of overturning 21 points, but we're unlikely to have this by the end January. 

Obviously, it's highly likely that there'll be a fire sale and even the current minute chance of staying up will evaporate. However, it's not impossible that we could have new owners. They could find a way to bring in several new players - add the right keeper, two strikers and a wide man to this squad and we could produce play off form.

How would everyone feel if we got relegated by a point, and Rooney had lost three games in December by playing a complete team of youngsters? 

If we're going to prepare for League 1, it should not begin until February.