Preparations for League 1

YouRams

30 minutes ago, Crewton said:

We started that game really well, got a goal ahead, then Baldock had to go off and I think for the next hour we missed his mobility. 

I think we've actually missed Baldock and Buchanan more than we probably thought would be the case, because their replacements are struggling for form. 

Yes Fozzy has been awful and Baldock whilst not scoring as many as we'd hope/like does a decent job.

11 minutes ago, Oldben said:

Baldock shipped put of this club as fast as possible once a new owner arrives, I'd even offer to pack his bags for him.

He signed for us when lots of players wouldn't. He's scored goals and been a decent front man. Unfortunately his injury-prone nature has stopped him playing/scoring more for us. I don't think we'll renew his deal.

23 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

He signed for us when lots of players wouldn't. He's scored goals and been a decent front man. Unfortunately his injury-prone nature has stopped him playing/scoring more for us. I don't think we'll renew his deal.

I'm not a huge fan of his but I wouldn't question the effort he puts in or his movement.  Like others, his goal scoring ratio is poor overall but I don't think that's entirely his fault.  That said, he does offer something different and in our current state, I'd hang on to him.  He'd probably be even more effective in L1 in the event we went down and hung onto him. But like you I suspect he'll go.

1 hour ago, Oldben said:

Baldock shipped put of this club as fast as possible once a new owner arrives, I'd even offer to pack his bags for him.

Beggars can’t be choosers. We are having to put up with injury prone players like Baldock because of our situation. Can’t expect stop start players to be too effective, especially for a championship team at the bottom. 

On 06/12/2021 at 09:57, RoyMac5 said:

Yes Fozzy has been awful and Baldock whilst not scoring as many as we'd hope/like does a decent job.

I don’t think Fozzy has been awful he’s been ok in my opinion. Baldock is an interesting one as he clearly doesn’t seem fit but the last time he was actually any good was in league one, so I wouldn’t be surprised if he was still around next season especially if he is cheap to keep.

On 04/12/2021 at 11:29, YouRams said:

Not a doom and gloom thread, not a Rooney bashing thread, but a realist thread. Should we now be preparing for League 1 and stop the “we’ll fight till the end talk”? 

The task was neigh on impossible with the -21 points, even adding them back on we’d still be heading into a relegation battle, so for me we should start the preparations now. Any saleable asset that will save our club and reduce the hmrc debt we should be looking to move on for a fee in Jan, if this means resting them and “playing the kids” to avoid injuries then so be it, and if that makes us a lot less competitive that’s on the EFL’s head not ours. We should be giving as many minutes as possible to the ones that will be staying for the rebuild. 

Quit horsing about!  (The task was neigh on impossible with the -21 points)

I just hope we have started scouting the players who will be out of contract and can do a job in the third division.

As we know we’re pretty much doomed, we can start talks in January.

I’d imagine someone like Daryl Horgan who looked outstanding for Wycombe would leap at a chance to play for Derby, and we could steal a march on the other teams by getting pre-contract deals in place before other teams who can’t plan fully due to not knowing their fate.

13 hours ago, Yani P said:

Because he would pull a hammy carrying them?

I want to see a deal done for Cole Stockton, league ones top scorers.

If we are going to be in League one, a striker who is capable of 20 goals a season, will fire us to promotion.

He's at Morcambe and given their current league position, I really think that Coles a buy, it would require a high wage and I'm fine with that.

Zero chance our current strikers are doing that.

18 minutes ago, Oldben said:

If we are going to be in League one, a striker who is capable of 20 goals a season, will fire us to promotion.

He's at Morcambe and given their current league position, I really think that Coles a buy, it would require a high wage and I'm fine with that.

We may not been in the position to be able to sign players like that. I'm sure their will be championship interest in him as well and we probably wont be spending the big bucks again

1 hour ago, Oldben said:

Unless he’s on a free, I can’t see us having a chance.  We have to unearth our own gem - more of a sign a youngish player deemed a “failure” and hope they recapture some of their old form…

9 hours ago, maydrakin said:

I just hope we have started scouting the players who will be out of contract and can do a job in the third division.

As we know we’re pretty much doomed, we can start talks in January.

I’d imagine someone like Daryl Horgan who looked outstanding for Wycombe would leap at a chance to play for Derby, and we could steal a march on the other teams by getting pre-contract deals in place before other teams who can’t plan fully due to not knowing their fate.

Depends. Given Derby will almost certainly be in league 1 next season, perhaps he fancies his chances of helping Wycombe go back up and either playing Championship football with them and/or using the opportunity as a springboard to another Championship club with better short/medium term prospects than either Derby or Wycombe.