Luke Plange

RoyMac5

31 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

Perhaps someone can say more about this? I was only half-listening to Radio Derby post-match, but my impression was that there's been some sort of meeting (presumably with the EFL) midweek where we sought permission to add Plange to the first team squad and that had been agreed. Don't know what the implications are for the overall squad size and for January.

Just found this, Carl. From Steve Nicolson before the match: 

"Plange had been ineligible to play for the first team previously but productive discussions between the club and the EFL have resulted in an agreement that he can now be involved."

5 hours ago, Sparkle said:

He is played out of position to fit others in because that’s all we have which is a shame. If he will be with us next season then it’s a different conversation on where he needs to play and for me central midfield is his starting position.

It's a bit of a stretch playing Knight RW, but asking him to do LW didn't work at all. Why not just play Ebosele left and Knight right? Or even just play our only natural left winger at the club Jozwiak, instead of keeping him on the bench.

8 minutes ago, Chris_Martin said:

It's a bit of a stretch playing Knight RW, but asking him to do LW didn't work at all. Why not just play Ebosele left and Knight right? Or even just play our only natural left winger at the club Jozwiak, instead of keeping him on the bench.

Thought Jozwiak was right sided..... sure that's where he plays for Poland. Lawrence is the one that we've played more on the left but again I thought his best season (at Ipswich) came from playing on the right or central.... could be wrong on that though as i wasn't paying much attention of him then

5 hours ago, bcnram said:

Watching a reasonable amount of League 1, I have to say that you are wide of the mark. Festy will not have so much space and will have to think about his game a little more, and Plange will flourish whether he is in the Championship or League 1.

1, why would Festy have less space just because it's league 1?

2, Festy needs to think about his game more anyway but why would he have to more in league 1 than Championship? If anything, league 1 is less technical so he would be able to just rely on his pace and power more than he does now.

3, How can you possibly say Plange will flourish in Championship or League 1 after watching 45 mins of his career against a poor Bristol City side? 

2 minutes ago, Rich84 said:

Thought Jozwiak was right sided..... sure that's where he plays for Poland. Lawrence is the one that we've played more on the left but again I thought his best season (at Ipswich) came from playing on the right or central.... could be wrong on that though as i wasn't paying much attention of him then

Jozwiak said he prefers and plays best on the left, that's where he played for Lech Poznan most of the time. He plays as RWB for Poland though. 

Lawrence is not a natural winger though, seems best suited to a no.10. Best season at Ipswich he played in a front 2.

10 hours ago, angieram said:

Just found this, Carl. From Steve Nicolson before the match: 

"Plange had been ineligible to play for the first team previously but productive discussions between the club and the EFL have resulted in an agreement that he can now be involved."

Was Liam Thompson in the same situation until recently? I remember Rooney saying he wanted to play him sooner but couldn’t.

20 minutes ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

Was Liam Thompson in the same situation until recently? I remember Rooney saying he wanted to play him sooner but couldn’t.

I think Thompson was okay once we agreed the squad of 25 as he was already our player. But Luke was a new signing at the beginning of this season with a clause written into his contract that he could only play for under 23s because of the nature of the embargo at the time.

It may have been clumsy wording, or it could just have been how we interpreted it. Either way, sounds like we are sorted for now.

12 hours ago, angieram said:

I wondered about this. Something must have changed for him to play, surely? Was down in Bristol so didn't hear the radio.

Yes. The result of negotiations with EFL. We were able for once to make EFL see sense. WR advised that EFL were unfairly blocking a young player’s progress. 

Luke Plange - Living On The Ceiling

Luke Plange.....He keeps on running round and round

Well, that's alright with me
Up and down, I'm up the wall
I'm up the bloody tree

That's alright with me
Yeah, that's alright with me
Well, it feels alright to me
Yeah, it looks alright to me

And he's so tall, he's so tall
You raise me and then you let me fall
And I'm so small, I'm so small
Wrap me 'round your finger, see me fall
Here we go.........Luke Plange.......Luke Plange.........

I was impressed with his all round play today, looks to have a bit of pace and also good physicality for a young lad, he wasn’t phased playing against their more experienced centre backs. Would like to see us persist with him and Stretton along with CKR, maybe time to say “thank you for your efforts” and let Baldock go. Save the wages or use them to bring in another freebie to bolster the squad. 

2 hours ago, Rev said:

Did everyone see the attention Curtis Davies paid him when he was subbed?

Arm around the shoulder, words in the ear and then Curtis clapped him all the way off the pitch.  

Luke should feel 10 ft tall tonight, great start and he's in good hands with teammates like that.

Yep. Curtis has always been brilliant with the younger players. Without wanting to knock Wazza who is doing his level best in impossible circumstances, I'm still mystified by the decision to make Lawrence the skipper but I suppose the likes of Curtis, Jags, Shinniesta and Knight all lead by example anyway.

Back on Curtis, he looks nailed on to make a very good coach somewhere down the line, hopefully with us. He's the very definition of a model professional and a credit to himself and the club.

29 minutes ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

Yep. Curtis has always been brilliant with the younger players. Without wanting to knock Wazza who is doing his level best in impossible circumstances, I'm still mystified by the decision to make Lawrence the skipper but I suppose the likes of Curtis, Jags, Shinniesta and Knight all lead by example anyway.

Back on Curtis, he looks nailed on to make a very good coach somewhere down the line, hopefully with us. He's the very definition of a model professional and a credit to himself and the club.

I was mystified and annoyed by Lawrence being made captain, but this is the most committed and team orientated since he arrived at the club. 

I no longer refer to him as 'Poundland Ronaldo'. He has been elevated to 'Wilkos Ronaldo' 

Edited by sage

12 minutes ago, sage said:

I was mystified and annoyed by Lawrence being made captain, but this is the most committed and team orientated since he arrived at the club. 

I no longer refer to him as 'Poundland Ronaldo'. He has been elevated to 'Wilkos Ronaldo' 

Ouch!

It is though and I'm not knocking Tom and never really have. I think the lad has bags of talent but lacks application and I do wonder whether it's the captaincy or the end of his contract that has seen him more focussed recently. I really hope it's the former.

That said, today, by recent standards, he was largely ineffective, yet his one meaningful contribution directly lead to the winner from young Plange. One poster recently suggested we'll be 'better off without him' but other than from a financial perspective, that stance seems off the mark to me.