I think Derby can stay up

B4ev6is

Just now, B4ev6is said:

Or he blames efl and rightly so.

Why? Did we go into admission? Yes. Did we break FFP rules? Yes. We have reaped what Mel has sown. You can keep up  your blinkered and blatantly incorrect view that it’s all Gibson’s and the EFL’s fault but you are clearly not understand the facts 

Is it just me who partly got a bit bored with Champ and would find a season in L1 a bit exciting?

Would not want to be stuck there like Sunderland but if the “script” of good fighting season in L1 ending in promotion at first attempt was guaranteed followed by fighting for top 6 (in Champ) the season after I would be more excited than a season of slow recovery in champ next year followed by top 6 the following (same end point as L1 pathway).

1 minute ago, Dean (hick) Saunders said:

Is it just me who partly got a bit bored with Champ and would find a season in L1 a bit exciting?

Would not want to be stuck there like Sunderland but if the “script” of good fighting season in L1 ending in promotion at first attempt was guaranteed followed by fighting for top 6 (in Champ) the season after I would be more excited than a season of slow recovery in champ next year followed by top 6 the following (same end point as L1 pathway).

No guarantees though that's the problem. We all know a rebuild is necessary but it might take years in League one. I don't see many positives in that, much rather be in the championship.

4 hours ago, Rammy03 said:

No guarantees though that's the problem. We all know a rebuild is necessary but it might take years in League one. I don't see many positives in that, much rather be in the championship.

Certainly not too many positives from relegation..... although I suspect playing at 3.00pm on a Saturday will be welcomed by many. Also playing L1 games during the corrupt world cup in Qatar  ?

19 hours ago, Dean (hick) Saunders said:

Be careful what you wish for. I agree it would be quite fun to watch us bulldoze through a season in L1 ending up 1st with 100+ points like Newcastle and West ham did in the Championship over recent years. 

But with L1 seems like it is impossible to do that. As for one reason or another the big clubs which fall down to L1 are usually there due to really bad form, gross mismanagement or horrendous financial predicaments. Of which we tick a good number of boxes.

I can't remember a big team going down and romping back up again 1st time of asking. Did Wolves do it once? Then again I have rarely paid any attention to L1 unless I have an acca on ?.

Edited by kingsy1884

It's obvious to me that you don't buy a club for millions in derbys condition without intending to rebuild the team.

Derby will need a new scouting team.

It will need to bring in strikers who can score a lot of goals.

It will need top assist players in the midfield

The current defence is probably the oldest in the Championship, that doesn't inspire me with confidence for league one.

28 minutes ago, kingsy1884 said:

Be careful what you wish for. I agree it would be quite fun to watch us bulldoze through a season in L1 ending up 1st with 100+ points like Newcastle and West ham did in the Championship over recent years. 

But with L1 seems like it is impossible to do that. As for one reason or another the big clubs which fall down to L1 are usually there due to really bad form, gross mismanagement or horrendous financial predicaments. Of which we tick a good number of boxes.

I can't remember a big team going down and romping back up again 1st time of asking. Did Wolves do it once? Then again I have rarely paid any attention to L1 unless I have an acca on ?.

I think if we do go down, we are going to go down playing well, and having a fantastic home record. It makes me feel slightly optimistic about a season in League One, because instead of teams who normally go down after a season of being beaten almost every week, we would be going down after a season of playing well, and fighting against injustice. I think the morale around the club will be much better than if we went down last season, without any points deduction. With the like of Williams, Thompson, Ebosele already showing they can cut it with the prem players at the top of the league, I think we will do well in league one.

How lucky that we stayed up though, otherwise this thread would be discussing about preparing for life in League 2

31 minutes ago, Oldben said:

It's obvious to me that you don't buy a club for millions in derbys condition without intending to rebuild the team.

Derby will need a new scouting team.

It will need to bring in strikers who can score a lot of goals.

It will need top assist players in the midfield

The current defence is probably the oldest in the Championship, that doesn't inspire me with confidence for league one.

Agree with this however not worried about age of defenders. They’re coping very well in championship.  Bet they could get an extra year at a lower level.

43 minutes ago, ripleyram88 said:

I think if we do go down, we are going to go down playing well, and having a fantastic home record. It makes me feel slightly optimistic about a season in League One, because instead of teams who normally go down after a season of being beaten almost every week, we would be going down after a season of playing well, and fighting against injustice. I think the morale around the club will be much better than if we went down last season, without any points deduction. With the like of Williams, Thompson, Ebosele already showing they can cut it with the prem players at the top of the league, I think we will do well in league one.

How lucky that we stayed up though, otherwise this thread would be discussing about preparing for life in League 2

Agreed the prospect of L2 would have been a whole other story.  We could have been looking at a very real chance of going out of existence.

I think we could be the exception to the rule as we would effectively be a mid table championship team being bumped to L1 on technicalities rather than overall performance. Not sure the gap is all that big though. 

The team has the makings of a v good L1 team add in some experienced pros, top performers in L1/2 and a decent set of loan players we could be in for a great season.

Edited by kingsy1884

1 hour ago, ripleyram88 said:

Agreed. We owe Marlon Pack one ?

I'm fairly optimistic about a season (or two... let's be realistic) in L1. If Hull, Rotherham, Wycombe etc. can go down and be pushing for automatic promotion the season after then I don't see why we shouldn't be able to. We just have to go into it with the right attitude (e.g. not turning up and expecting to roll everyone over week in, week out)... It's going to be a battle and we have to recruit well to add to the good group of young players we have.

Although, saying that, there's still 27 games left and we're not dead yet! ?

Edited by Black ('n' White) Sheep