Derby finally accept 21 point deduction.

taggy180

Just now, Dan_Ram said:

Is there much of an argument that, had we been made aware of our amortisation policy ‘non-compliance’ earlier, we could have adjusted transfer spending so as not to exceed acceptable losses? I would assume if that logic was valid then it would form part of Nick de Marco’s mitigation argument?

The EFL said our accounts were ok but the revisited them when other clubs complained plus we were originally cleared of an6 charges  

Absolute disgrace. 

3 hours ago, FlyBritishMidland said:

Trouble is, they’re no longer members of the EFL so can’t be punished by them.  The clubs breach FFP in the year they get promoted then submit accounts already being in the PL and the EFL are powerless.   If we’d have gone up in 15/16 we’d have been fine too.  It’s a problem when you have having two organisations ruining  the game.

Fixed it for you …

(and as I haven’t read through any intervening posts, I apologise if the gag has already been done!!)

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/update-on-prospective-Derby-county-owners-and-timeline-of-points-deduction-emerges/

Derby await points deduction decision

Simon Stone

BBC Sport

It's been a torrid period for Derby but the Championship club are finally due to get some clarity over the points deduction they will face for both going into administration and financial rule breaches on accounts yet to be made public.

The overall decision could be made public either today or tomorrow, with the likelihood being that the Rams will lose anything up to 21 points, which could leave them on minus three points, 18 from safety and with virtually no chance of avoiding relegation. 

It is understood virtually all credible parties currently interested in buying the club are doing so on the basis Derby will be in League One next season.

The club has only spent four seasons in the third tier of the English game in its entire history.

Edited by Curtains
Added quote

50 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Or maybe the regulator should have done their job properly at the time, rather than 3 years later when there is no chance of doing anything about the overspend?

As an avid reader of the accounts, I was fully aware of the change of policy and my concern was that inflated residual values were being used (I did not understand the method being used).

If I as a Derby County fan had concerns, why was the regulator not having the same concerns and investigating the method being used?

Had they done so, our overspend may have been limited to one year and we would be looking at a 4 point deduction only.

Dont take this as an insult, because everyone is entitled to their own opinion but it seems as though you are unable to see any wrongdoing by the EFL because it aids your view that MM and Pearce are to blame for literally everything. 

9F8561B7-A576-4E0D-9B07-270B74BFE4B2.gif

As our appeal was adjourned to deal with the FFP punishment, many posters initially speculated that we would get the 9 points reduced in return for not appealing the admin 12 points. Then Percy and Nixon said we were still going to get the 9 points, meaning 21 points. Then speculation was that the EFL was trying to force us into accepting the 9 points by threatening to delay the process beyond Jan.

Maybe, just maybe the adjournment was called as the same people would be working on both issues. Perhaps the appeal can take place after the FFP points have been awarded. 

I appreciate that that doesn't fit in with the pantomime villain persona of the EFL but in 'normal organisations' this would be the most likely explanation.     

13 minutes ago, IslandExile said:

Stop. Pause. And think about that for a moment. That's incredible, eh?

And emphasizes why this is such a big deal.

I knew that fact. And yes it is a big deal. But has been pretty inevitable since we went into admin and maybe even since we were placed under hard embargo right up to transfer deadline day.

Edited by PistoldPete

17 minutes ago, sage said:

As our appeal was adjourned to deal with the FFP punishment, many posters initially speculated that we would get the 9 points reduced in return for not appealing the admin 12 points. Then Percy and Nixon said we were still going to get the 9 points, meaning 21 points. Then speculation was that the EFL was trying to force us into accepting the 9 points by threatening to delay the process beyond Jan.

Maybe, just maybe the adjournment was called as the same people would be working on both issues. Perhaps the appeal can take place after the FFP points have been awarded. 

I appreciate that that doesn't fit in with the pantomime villain persona of the EFL but in 'normal organisations' this would be the most likely explanation.     

I don’t think so mate .

Anyway let’s have no more words on the matter as the EFL are definitely the pantomime villains 

4 hours ago, i-Ram said:

So to summarise, using the Rams amortisation policy, compared to the policy being used by all the other teams in the league, our policy gave us a £21.5m financial reporting advantage over other clubs for the 3 years up to year/season ending June 2018?   Not much of an advantage then.

Cracking Up Lol GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

And by your metrics, a £21.5 million disadvantage in the final years of the respective players' contracts. ERV and straight line amortisation policies have two salient similarities; they start and end with the same sums, so net depreciation figures for the two methods are identical. Our methodology was accepted by the EFL for the three years in question and independently audited and approved by Derby's auditors, the IDC and the The Institute of Chartered Accountants in England and Wales (ICAEW). That's three independent and fully qualified bodies versus the the appeal board which was appointed by the EFL and contained not one accounting professional and whose decision remains unratified, yet cannot be appealed. 

Against this background, the club has spent most of the last two years under embargo and now finds itself shorn of senior squad members, unable to develop youth acquisitions and facing the additional punishment of a points deduction approaching 3 times that of Reading who made operating losses of £43.5million in the 2019/20 season, with accumulated losses totalling £138million. Their last overall wage bill was £37.6m with wages running at 211 per cent of revenue compared with 226 per cent the previous year. More frustrating still is the fact that Reading are able to appeal their 9 point sanction via an independent panel. 

With all this in mind, can you explain why you take issue with folk suggesting there is something of a witch-hunt in process because for the life of me, it's hard to see anything even-handed about the EFL's behaviour at any point throughout the process. Folk are not expecting any kind of special dispensation after all, only a fair trial which I'd venture is far from unreasonable.

48 minutes ago, IslandExile said:

Stop. Pause. And think about that for a moment. That's incredible, eh?

And emphasizes why this is such a big deal.

It is a big deal. It’s huge (for us ) but if that is our fair and reasonable punishment then so be it.

What is vomit inducing is the over riding sense that the EFL want more and with no rational justification.  They want to see clubs that transgress, humiliated and destroyed .. the dilatory messing about about over multi season deductions is loathsome , not sporting or proportionate in any sense. It is fundamentally wrong.  The messages coming from the EFL raises them to the status of all powerful deities … They are not. They are a petty, badly organised outfit, rife with pressure groups and individual self interest. 

Whatever we as DCFC or Mel have done .. there is no way in a just world that we have deserved the witch hunt they have launched and perpetuated for 2 years. The appalling, thoroughly unsportsmanlike leverage they seem to relish in applying is anathema to any lover of the game  

47 minutes ago, sage said:

I don’t post much, if at all, in this thread because I don’t feel I’m knowledgeable enough to add anything meaningful however I have always thought ‘postponed\adjourned’ meant the appeal was shelved to allow other disputed misdemeanours & penalties to be concluded pending it being resurrected following the former being agreed by both parties.