Notice to appoint administrators

DerbySmog

The thing I don't get is if we were so close to the wire why didn't we sell at all in the summer ? It feels like we've had repeated assurances that the finances at the club were fine but we needed to adjust because of FFP and yet..... It certainly feels like MM is cutting and running with no takeover immenint. The only other scenario I can think of is this all to force the EFL's hand in some way but it seems unlikely.

To think of all the garbage owners and crap times it's the self professed fan that sinks into administration. The thing that I find galling alongside the sheer amount of non playing staff who are going to get shafted by this is I think there is a serious chance the academy gets torn up.

Not only are we likely to lose some of the most talented young players we've had to come through the academy, the academy itself is likely going to be seen as a way of reducing costs. If that happens then we probably don't recover for a seriously long time.

The best hope I've got right now is we get taken over quick enough that that structure stays in place and we can retain some of "senior" lads that came through that system. If that happens, even if we lose most of the the senior playing staff that didn't come through the academy I think there will be a foundation from which we can recover even in league 1.

Hey All,

I heard this news earlier. I don't know much about the history of how you got to this stage but I know that it's due to mismanagement and really poor conduct by owners. I also heard Rooney earlier say he heard about the Administration when watching TV. 

I was gutted to hear this latest update. I like Derby - although that's not really the point at the minute...

I think the point that I wanted to make is that every single football fan really needs to take notice here. It could be there club next. It doesn't matter if they're your biggest rivals, you hate the club, etc.. it's more than that. I'm sick of seeing rich owners come in, playing at being a chairman, making poor decisions or taking risks and then putting the whole club in jeopardy. I'm also sick of the rest of the footballing world just ignore it and almost watch on with mild interest to see what happens. We're all football fans first and foremost and clubs like yours and others have been around well over a hundred years and form a huge part of the community. 

It's the fans that really suffer here. Not to mention the staff, those in back office roles, canteen staff, cleaners, car park attendants, maintainance people, etc... 

Anyway, I hope that there is some better news for you soon although I realise things look bleak. I know you're going to try to negotiate on the points deduction, either way hopefully there's some clarity and closure on that so you at least know where you stand and can focus on football. 

Great result today as well (at least that's one positive!) 

1 minute ago, BobbyTheReadingFan said:

Hey All,

I heard this news earlier. I don't know much about the history of how you got to this stage but I know that it's due to mismanagement and really poor conduct by owners. I also heard Rooney earlier say he heard about the Administration when watching TV. 

I was gutted to hear this latest update. I like Derby - although that's not really the point at the minute...

I think the point that I wanted to make is that every single football fan really needs to take notice here. It could be there club next. It doesn't matter if they're your biggest rivals, you hate the club, etc.. it's more than that. I'm sick of seeing rich owners come in, playing at being a chairman, making poor decisions or taking risks and then putting the whole club in jeopardy. I'm also sick of the rest of the footballing world just ignore it and almost watch on with mild interest to see what happens. We're all football fans first and foremost and clubs like yours and others have been around well over a hundred years and form a huge part of the community. 

It's the fans that really suffer here. Not to mention the staff, those in back office roles, canteen staff, cleaners, car park attendants, maintainance people, etc... 

Anyway, I hope that there is some better news for you soon although I realise things look bleak. I know you're going to try to negotiate on the points deduction, either way hopefully there's some clarity and closure on that so you at least know where you stand and can focus on football. 

Great result today as well (at least that's one positive!) 

Living in Hampshire, Reading is often mentioned as one of the regional teams. 

You've had your share of iffy owners I think - was it some Thai consortium that were hoping to develop the land around the madewski? 

Anyway, thanks for good wishes and hope your club comes through also. ?

9 hours ago, Sparkle said:

Whilst all of this has had MM in charge and oversight of the finances so it sits with him, I acknowledge that Covid has tipped us into Administration the role of the EFL has to be noted as simply disgraceful, simply unhelpful and a dereliction of whatever their duty was supposed to be.

and on a personal note I will never be handing any money over to Middlesbrough football club again to watch my Rams and do hope that not a single Rams fan ever does go to that clubs grounds and spend money - 

Derby very rarely take a decent following to the Riverside so I don't think it will effect them too much. 

8 hours ago, S8TY said:

Gibson is a **** and no i wouldnt be .....should mind his own ******* business 

Yeah by trying to make sure owners don't run the clubs into the ground and the EFL act to protect clubs. What a **** as you put it. Ironically Derby could do with a chairman like him now. Compare Derby's last 35 years to Boro's (that's how long he has been there) 

35 minutes ago, brady1993 said:

The thing I don't get is if we were so close to the wire why didn't we sell at all in the summer ? It feels like we've had repeated assurances that the finances at the club were fine but we needed to adjust because of FFP and yet..... It certainly feels like MM is cutting and running with no takeover immenint. The only other scenario I can think of is this all to force the EFL's hand in some way but it seems unlikely.

To think of all the garbage owners and crap times it's the self professed fan that sinks into administration. The thing that I find galling alongside the sheer amount of non playing staff who are going to get shafted by this is I think there is a serious chance the academy gets torn up.

Not only are we likely to lose some of the most talented young players we've had to come through the academy, the academy itself is likely going to be seen as a way of reducing costs. If that happens then we probably don't recover for a seriously long time.

The best hope I've got right now is we get taken over quick enough that that structure stays in place and we can retain some of "senior" lads that came through that system. If that happens, even if we lose most of the the senior playing staff that didn't come through the academy I think there will be a foundation from which we can recover even in league 1.

Yes. Turns down £2m for Buchanan and goes into administration less than 3 weeks later.

20 minutes ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

Living in Hampshire, Reading is often mentioned as one of the regional teams. 

You've had your share of iffy owners I think - was it some Thai consortium that were hoping to develop the land around the madewski? 

Anyway, thanks for good wishes and hope your club comes through also. ?

Yes you're right, we've had several really bad owners. 

Sir John Madejski owns a few different places around town, plus an academy (as in a school). He was the best owner we've ever had (in my lifetime). He sold the club on about 12 years ago and since then it's just been really unsettled. He's still on the board thankfully but has no real power as far as I understand. 

We had Anton Zingaravich, a Russian guy who basically vanished and left us with lots of debt. The Thais (who made that God awful song that everyone rips us to shreds over now). 

Another big issue was we had a very nasty Director of Football. As you probably know this is a really key position in the club and several players at the time alluded to negative issues about him, and in the end he had to leave but did cause quite a lot of damage.

The area around the ground is being slowly developed, apartments, some housing, train station, etc, and a few other places. Hopefully in time it will be less of a soulless industrial estate and more of a place where there is actually something there like pubs/restaurants, parks, etc. We're aware it's a terrible place for a ground but we're stuck with it! ?

None of our owners talk to the fans really, our supporter association gets platitudes whenever they ask the club questions. This includes such as "we understand the fan's frustrations", etc... but nothing of real significance. 

Thanks for the good wishes, hopefully we all find some stability soon!

apologies if this has been covered already. as i understand it the EFL and Derby were in the process of agreeing a 9 point deduction. 

as it appears we are going to go into administration. who would be responsible for agreeing this punishment now. i imagine before it would have been up to Mel to agree. is that still the case, or would it fall to the administrator? 

11 hours ago, DCFCJim87 said:

Where does Keogh sit in the list of creditors? My understanding is other football clubs come first, would he be next? 

In my dream scenario, Keogh gets taken for a ride, strung along, told to be patient, his case would be dealt with in due course and then finally, months, years, decades later told there's nothing left for him and that he needs to take it up with the government who also take him for a ride for months, years, decades

1 hour ago, sage said:

Yes. Turns down £2m for Buchanan and goes into administration less than 3 weeks later.

Just makes no sense. Even if we were confident of getting a takeover over the line, a judicious sale to give us more breathing room is just the smart thing to do given how apparently close we were to the edge.

57 minutes ago, Bazal77 said:

apologies if this has been covered already. as i understand it the EFL and Derby were in the process of agreeing a 9 point deduction. 

as it appears we are going to go into administration. who would be responsible for agreeing this punishment now. i imagine before it would have been up to Mel to agree. is that still the case, or would it fall to the administrator? 

If no buyer is found to take us over then it’ll be up to the administrators to work it out with the EFL

20 minutes ago, kevinhectoring said:

because then he was in good discussions with buyers and he underestimated the ability of the EFL to drag things out to spoil a sale

I understand that but surely even in that case you'd give yourself some wiggle room? Especially considering the on going nonsense with the EFL and we've already had several takeovers fallen through. 

It just seems needlessly reckless.

12 hours ago, DerbySmog said:

Yeah by trying to make sure owners don't run the clubs into the ground and the EFL act to protect clubs. What a **** as you put it. Ironically Derby could do with a chairman like him now. Compare Derby's last 35 years to Boro's (that's how long he has been there) 

is that what Gibson's doing then?? Trying to safeguard Derby County??? trying to make sure we're ok !! pmsl......There's plenty of clubs bending the rules slightly we aren't the only ones...I would not have your hero Gibson anywhere near DCFC we've had enough shysters running the club.....he's been very vocal about us......don't think he's the knight in shining armour you portray him to be Ben