Ravel Morrison - overrated?

TheHomunculusLives

Thanks for all the replies to my thread, I enjoyed reading them.

I think the comments are fair - for a free transfer on a wage of 4.5K a week, he's an excellent signing, and we could easily be paying significant sums in transfer fees and wages for a player who is no better.

Perhaps I was expecting too much, but based on his reputation, I was expecting a player who would show signs of natural ability that really stood out at Championship level: someone who clearly would be in a top half Premiership side were it not for their well documented personal issues in recent years. Currently, I don't think I'm seeing that potential, but I there's still plenty of time for me to be proved wrong.

I’m not sure I subscribe to this “he needs to get up to get up to speed” line. He’s not been out the game for any length of time, he’s not been without a club or been injured. 

There are several players such as Stretton, Watson, Esobele, Hutchinson….even Stearman and Baldock who have played less football that Ravel in the last 6 months that will all struggle to gain any sympathy should they not hit the ground running and playing well 6 full games in…..

Yes he’s technically excellent and comfortable in possession however what he’s done so far he should be able to do with his eyes closed. Picking the ball up deep linking up play where there is little or no pressure on the ball is child’s play really. I would expect and demand far more from him in respect of goals / assists / chances created than we have seen so far and if I were to draw a direct comparison between him and Lawrence you have to say Lawrence has been far more productive but gets far less leeway and far more criticism. 

Im not saying for one minute that he’s over rated. Far from it. But it would expect that he offers far more than he has at the sharp end and I would hope that any of the young players who we’ll undoubtedly use as the season progresses get an equally fair amount of time before being judged. 

On 13/09/2021 at 15:47, Rammeister said:

He seems able to pass to another one of our players - which is a big plus. I see a tendency to pass sideways, but that could be due to lack of movement ahead of him by forwards. 

I think he will get stronger- just needs to not allow other teams to press his buttons like on Friday.

free on really cheap wages, he would be a bargin anyway but he offers something and will get better as the season goes on.

• 2 weeks later...
11 minutes ago, Rev said:

Is he settling back into his normal trajectory of diminishing returns the more he plays?

I think you need to stick with him, probably why he’s had so many clubs. All the hype and managers are too quick to change.  Look at Lawrence’s recent performances, hardly pulled tress up, but they keep him on because of his potential.  I thought he was non existent the first half, but nearly scored twice in the second.

To call somebody overrated you have to have a benchmark against which to judge. From what I've seen he is a fairly average Championship midfielder, with a few good touches now and again. If he was any better than that, even with his 'issues', I imagine he would have played a lot more games than he has and at a higher level. 

So, from what I've seen, he is just about at the level I expected him to be. He doesn't look out of place, but neither does he look like a superstar.  He's good enough for us at the moment.

We have to remember he's played more games for us this season than the prevoius 2 or 3 in total. His match fitness and therefore influence will fluctuate, he'll be better in games we have more ball possession. 

Keep the faith in his natural ability, he's got something the others don't, pure natural talent.

but natural talent is wasted without disipline. 

for me it is clear at his age he won't ever get the discipline required to be a talented footballer at this level or above.

but saying that he is the best we can hope for in our position, we will have to get used to raw unfufilled talents that need nurturing going forward because thats the market we will be shopping in.

I’ve done it myself in the past but how about we draw a line under calling out individuals this season.

It’s clear to see we have a small squad who will not be able to give 8’s and 9’s out of 10 every week but will leave everything on the pitch in virtually hopeless circumstances.

Time to get behind every player wearing the ram on their chest regardless of current form or personal opinions.

COYR.

6 minutes ago, rad1919 said:

I’ve done it myself in the past but how about we draw a line under calling out individuals this season.

It’s clear to see we have a small squad who will not be able to give 8’s and 9’s out of 10 every week but will leave everything on the pitch in virtually hopeless circumstances.

Time to get behind every player wearing the ram on their chest regardless of current form or personal opinions.

COYR.

Who's called him out?

1 minute ago, Rev said:

Who's called him out?

I’m referring to negative comments in general about all players across all threads.

I think we could all name the usual targets but I think we all need to rise above it under these bizarre circumstances.

Even though the club is on the brink the connection between fans, players and management has never been stronger and long may it continue!

52 minutes ago, alram said:

but natural talent is wasted without disipline. 

for me it is clear at his age he won't ever get the discipline required to be a talented footballer at this level or above.

but saying that he is the best we can hope for in our position, we will have to get used to raw unfufilled talents that need nurturing going forward because thats the market we will be shopping in.

Natural talent is wasted when you don’t have a striking department.