Question of Sport

1of4

What are the BBC trying to do with the best sports quiz on the TV.

Did the program's producers ask a group of none sports minded people to come up with ideas for the show?

What was with the Paddy McGuinness chat show that was inserted in the middle of the programme, while the two teams tried to come up with the answer to a question. And where was the questions in the trampoline section of the show.

9 hours ago, 1of4 said:

Did the program's producers ask a group of none sports minded people to come up with ideas for the show?

What was with the Paddy McGuinness chat show that was inserted in the middle of the programme, while the two teams tried to come up with the answer to a question. And where was the questions in the trampoline section of the show.

I lasted 10 minutes before turning over. 

It was terrible.

I think that I've a decent knowledge of sports people but on 1st glance I didn't know who 3 of the panelists were and I've yet to see Sam Quek do anything on TV or radio that I like. 

Ugo Monye is an excellent rugby analyst and commentator but the whole show looked stiff and awkward. 

It was surprisingly poor. 
Maybe it was being aimed at other people (than the likes of me). Who knows..

That map game was hilariously bad, seem you should need to get location (city) right to get the points, but even if you got it massively wrong you got the points anyway? (I was half watching by this point so may have missed something/lost the plot).

14 hours ago, 1of4 said:

And where was the questions in the trampoline section of the show.

Not seen Question of Sport for years but has it really come to this? Sam is nice though so might tune in. Does she do the trampoline bit? Asking for a friend.

Edited by TimRam

4 hours ago, CWC1983 said:

I lasted 10 minutes before turning over. 

It was terrible.

I think that I've a decent knowledge of sports people but on 1st glance I didn't know who 3 of the panelists were and I've yet to see Sam Quek do anything on TV or radio that I like. 

Ugo Monye is an excellent rugby analyst and commentator but the whole show looked stiff and awkward. 

It will have been designed by a group of PC youngsters with little knowledge of its audience.

Black guy? Check. Woman? Check. Mentally challenged presenter? Check.

Right, we have to attract and be fair to people who don’t like sport, too, so let’s ditch those tricky sporting questions.

Probably the same people who employ Stephen Mulhern to cackle at people launching themselves into baths of blancmange on a Saturday night. 

14 hours ago, 1of4 said:

I feared the worst when I heard that McGuiness was  taking over - 4th division presenter of what used to be a premiership joy to watch.

And as for the format / content - I despair.

Remember the Home and Away round in the Beaumount and Hughes days? When the contestant was from a more minor sport and went Home, it obviously was a hard question for the general viewer, but incredibly easy for the person answering. Something like: who has been world champion for the last 10 years in your own sport.

If a footballer/cricketer etc went Home, there question was usually much tougher cos everyone knows them sports.

Sort it out Coleman! 

Obviously they think the format of a James Corden-type presenting with drawn out questions which are just opportunities for jokes, really daft physical challenges, a comedian like Jimmy/Alan Carr and little sporting questions works better... with Flintoff/Redknapp providing a tiny bit of sports knowledge. 

Unfortunately they haven't copied the whole laddish, boys acting up and having bants which is the key to that format, and have chosen PC overdrive and thus have no 'edge'. Murder by committee I'm afraid. 

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, G STAR RAM said:

Ouch, just watching it for the first time, painfully bad.

Not watched it since the disastrous first episode. I was considering giving it another try, in the hope it may have improved. But after seeing your glowing review of this weeks programme. I think I'll carry on giving it a miss.

On 04/09/2021 at 18:56, Tamworthram said:

Question of Sport dumbed down a long time ago IMO.

Sarah Cox, Vernon Kay, Paddy McGuiness.   This is what happened when TV became obsessed with Bolton 20 years ago for some strange reason, then they moved onto Newcastle.  A combination of the two has left us with Alex Jones, Alison Hammond, Titchmarsh and a load of random sporting dullards with 2 brain cells as the acceptable norm as TV presenters .  That's why Philip Schofields never off the telly and Norton gets 5 million a year or whatever, there the only option. The only one who seems to do an OK job from the sporting world as a crossover is Jenas but he has little competition and I think watching him do anything over serious might be a different ball game. 

6 hours ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

Sarah Cox, Vernon Kay, Paddy McGuiness.   This is what happened when TV became obsessed with Bolton 20 years ago for some strange reason, then they moved onto Newcastle.  A combination of the two has left us with Alex Jones, Alison Hammond, Titchmarsh and a load of random sporting dullards with 2 brain cells as the acceptable norm as TV presenters .  That's why Philip Schofields never off the telly and Norton gets 5 million a year or whatever, there the only option. The only one who seems to do an OK job from the sporting world as a crossover is Jenas but he has little competition and I think watching him do anything over serious might be a different ball game. 

Just as a point of accuracy - Alan Titchmarsh doesn’t come from either Bolton or Newcastle. He comes from Ilkley. And is very well thought of in the town and very supportive of it, even though he doesn’t live here any more. 

Your other points are well made. 

On 04/09/2021 at 16:37, Chester40 said:

Obviously they think the format of a James Corden-type presenting with drawn out questions which are just opportunities for jokes, really daft physical challenges, a comedian like Jimmy/Alan Carr and little sporting questions works better... with Flintoff/Redknapp providing a tiny bit of sports knowledge. 

Unfortunately they haven't copied the whole laddish, boys acting up and having bants which is the key to that format, and have chosen PC overdrive and thus have no 'edge'. Murder by committee I'm afraid. 

This is the truth of the matter. We can blame the people who watched A League of Their Own enough to take it through 16 series. The BBC are only trying to copy that abomination and have managed to make something even worse.