Missing Supporters

Eatonram

I might have worded it better but I’m not going to apologise for the general point of my post even though it upset a few folk. 

The crowds during those seasons where we hoped to be challenging we’re entitled and it was more quiet and there was more groaning and whinging and less patience. 

These last few games at PP have been what it should be like. Support, loud support through thick and thin. No expectations other than the players give it their all. If you think it’s because of the situation rather than shedding some of the ‘here for the good times’ lot then that’s absolutely fine. I happen to think we’ve shed some entitled fans who don’t wanna be there for an unsuccessful team. I won’t apologise for that. 

Im not saying anyone who isn’t going at the moment is part of the good times brigade which some seem to have assumed.

15 minutes ago, Ewe Ram said:

This thread is depressing. It started off as a congratulations to the attending fans and the great atmosphere which is helping the team no end, but descended into the usual ‘I’m a better fan than you’ rubbish. 
Truthfully I wasn’t sure whether to bother this season as the incessant moaning around me gets me down, which is not the reason we go to football. But I’m really glad I have bothered as those who have made previous matches miserable aren’t there so far and I don’t miss them. 
Take that as you will, it’s the plain fact. 

Don't know where you sit, Ewe Ram, but I sit in West Stand Upper. I had only been there a season and a bit before lockdown after moving from North Stand to get a better view of the game.

We were surrounded by regulars, mostly much older than us (I am in my sixties!) In general, they didn't bother clapping the players out, didn't clap good moves, but started the groans at every misplaced pass straight from the whistle. Lots of chuntering, very little positive support. We were already getting fed up of where we were sitting, despite the view! 

We have returned to our same seats though, and at the two league matches so far, none of my previpus immediate neighbours have attended - and their seats appear not to have been sold. (Presumably as previous season ticket holders their seats are reserved until late in the day.) We sat in splendid isolation yesterday with three clear rows immediately in front of us and one behind. There were people further in, and further out to the corners. At a glance, these people are a much younger demographic than previously.

The difference in noise, encouragement, clapping and some singing is stark. It's brilliant and long may it continue.

I understand that there are good reasons why these regular fans aren't attending, I also understand their support may be of a quieter variety but the negativity is optional and I don't miss it one bit! 

I can only speak for what I see in the bit of the ground I occupy, but if that is reflected elsewhere in the ground then I do think some of the people staying away (for whatever reason) were creating a negative atmosphere, or at very least not contributing in a positive way, whether they were aware of it or not.

I moved to the North Stand not only because it’s cheaper but because I am bringing my 5 year old Grandson for his first season at PP. I have taken advantage of the free season ticket for his age group.

But I feel for him because as long as he goes which hopefully will be a lifetime he can never be regarded as a true fan by G-STAR as he has missed the first two games and worst of all he’s not going to Forest either.

28 minutes ago, IlsonDerby said:

I might have worded it better but I’m not going to apologise for the general point of my post even though it upset a few folk. 

The crowds during those seasons where we hoped to be challenging we’re entitled and it was more quiet and there was more groaning and whinging and less patience. 

These last few games at PP have been what it should be like. Support, loud support through thick and thin. No expectations other than the players give it their all. If you think it’s because of the situation rather than shedding some of the ‘here for the good times’ lot then that’s absolutely fine. I happen to think we’ve shed some entitled fans who don’t wanna be there for an unsuccessful team. I won’t apologise for that. 

Im not saying anyone who isn’t going at the moment is part of the good times brigade which some seem to have assumed.

Are there any entitled fans?, There's a multitude of differing supporter, From the young to the old, From the cheerfull to the grumpy, From the loyal to the casual, From the lone attendee to the group, From the infirm to the able bodied, And i'll wager there was more than 1 supporter there yesterday that MOANED, It's a human trait, It's in their character, They can't help themselves, I've found over the years that the "moaners" are those that don't understand the game, That want to play to up to those around them, That when at work always complain about the most obscure things.

Back in the day at the BBG(Popside both Columbo and Vulcan Street, Ossie End, C Stand Paddock) I can't remember any moaners, Not excluding the A B and C stand who in the main are todays West Standers(I think)We were stood close together all for one and one for all, We'd encourage or howl with rage our dissatisfaction at the players.

Today it's a different world, Sit down, Don't swear, Do not abuse either players or officials or other supporters, So Ilson I think you're right there are those that think they're entitled, With fortune they can moan about the moaners on message boards.

Edited by Unlucky Alf

9 hours ago, Leeds Ram said:

First of all,  more fans appeared today than against Huddersfield. More away fans, more fans in the north stand, more in the east and west stand but i couldn't see from the south stand where I was. Logic tells me more fans entered the stadium quite honestly as fewer empty spaces appeared throughout the ground. It was still sparse like 19-21,000 I would guess but higher than against Huddersfield. 

On the ticket situation the club have not helped themselves. I've said a few times Hull was a nightmare and it got worse on wednesday thanks to their incompetent dealings. No idea who is running the operation if anyone but they need to be fired immediately for my money, it's an absolute joke. Ditto with home tickets for Boro, it's just absolutely farcical policies that are costing the club tens of thousands of pounds every match. 

On the atmosphere it is great at the moment. Our backs are against the wall and we're supporting the club but it's nonsense to suggest it's the diehards who are generating an atmosphere and the 'fickle' fans not turning up responsible for previous problems. If they were turning up it'd be an even bigger fortress quite honestly and even louder. People aren't turning up for a variety of reasons and I don't blame them.

I hate how the club is being run; it feels like they only give a damn about the money we're spending, prising the ticket money out of our hands as the club is being run like the titanic as it's sinking but we're all pretending it's still afloat as the captain says he's trying to right the ship. In this case absolutely 0 information is being given about the health of the ship nor the lifeboat situation, there has been a meeting about the viability of a rescue but we can't possibly know its contents. As an adult I've never been more disenchanted and angry at the management of the club. It's an absolute disgrace and the club honestly doesn't deserve our hard earned money and the sooner mel gets his money, packs up and leaves the damn sight better off we'll be. 

But supporting a club is going with the rough as well as the smooth. It's about paying ticket money even when we're poor and in extremely bad circumstances. I still go because I love Derby. I hate the way the club is being run, I don't like Rooney nor Rosenior and I think our footballing plan could easily see us relegated. But I've got to keep going because it's Derby...  

Posters should scratch some of the more irate sections of this post as I was very drunk last night when posting this. But the theme of a shockingly poor ticketing operation and an owner whose management of the club combined with a lack of communication to the fans stands. It's really not good enough and it needs to change quickly. I've gone to 3 of the first 4 matches, won't be there next weekend as it's my gf's graduation but I honestly can't say I'm that bothered about missing it. I love the club but it's being managed in a way that's totally off putting. 

Regretting starting this thread. It seems to have caused a bit of friction which wasn’t the intention. I certainly feel that the atmosphere at the first two games has been great. I am just hoping that an extra 10000 through the gate would magnify that further. Is there a chance that the adversity could some how bring the fans together? It seems to have brought the playing staff together. Great passionate and loud support I think is what we all want and everyone accepts that it is not possible for many to attend all games. Let’s stick together, get behind Rooney, even get behind Mel until he can find a new owner. This could be a far better and more enjoyable season that we may have expected COYR. 

2 hours ago, OUTSIDER said:

Speaking from outside the UK... flights so far are awful in times and day to fly in and out. Cheaper options are via Manchester and at present its 1 to 2 days lay over with extra costs on hotels. 

So i assume many from Ireland are finding it difficult to justify a trip that was 50euro in out same day flight to EMA to for example 250 euro for forest game

Prior to the Rona I could do 5-6 games to what 1 is costing. I'm hopeful that this gets better as travel opens up more. 

For me the Covid testing is another consideration, here for 4 days and I will have 3 tests costing £90.  That with the third rest being free!

15 minutes ago, angieram said:

Don't know where you sit, Ewe Ram, but I sit in West Stand Upper. I had only been there a season and a bit before lockdown after moving from North Stand to get a better view of the game.

We were surrounded by regulars, mostly much older than us (I am in my sixties!) In general, they didn't bother clapping the players out, didn't clap good moves, but started the groans at every misplaced pass straight from the whistle. Lots of chuntering, very little positive support. We were already getting fed up of where we were sitting, despite the view! 

We have returned to our same seats though, and at the two league matches so far, none of my previpus immediate neighbours have attended - and their seats appear not to have been sold. (Presumably as previous season ticket holders their seats are reserved until late in the day.) We sat in splendid isolation yesterday with three clear rows immediately in front of us and one behind. There were people further in, and further out to the corners. At a glance, these people are a much younger demographic than previously.

The difference in noise, encouragement, clapping and some singing is stark. It's brilliant and long may it continue.

I understand that there are good reasons why these regular fans aren't attending, I also understand their support may be of a quieter variety but the negativity is optional and I don't miss it one bit! 

I can only speak for what I see in the bit of the ground I occupy, but if that is reflected elsewhere in the ground then I do think some of the people staying away (for whatever reason) were creating a negative atmosphere, or at very least not contributing in a positive way, whether they were aware of it or not.

Yep I don’t go often so the change is more marked for me maybe but SS led the noise and the whole ground joined in on several occasions 

19 minutes ago, 24Charlie said:

I moved to the North Stand not only because it’s cheaper but because I am bringing my 5 year old Grandson for his first season at PP. I have taken advantage of the free season ticket for his age group.

But I feel for him because as long as he goes which hopefully will be a lifetime he can never be regarded as a true fan by G-STAR as he has missed the first two games and worst of all he’s not going to Forest either.

Yawn ? Boring

6 minutes ago, Spanish said:

Yep I don’t go often so the change is more marked for me maybe but SS led the noise and the whole ground joined in on several occasions 

Always used to (perhaps long time back) be the case. ? Maybe the situation the club is in, the way the players and staff are committed on and off field, the fact that after a tough year and more, many might have reappraised how they value things, have all lead to a stronger atmosphere among the fans? Plus hope. #COYR

2 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Always used to (perhaps long time back) be the case. ? Maybe the situation the club is in, the way the players and staff are committed on and off field, the fact that after a tough year and more, many might have reappraised how they value things, have all lead to a stronger atmosphere among the fans? Plus hope. #COYR

Expectations are lowered, it was a poor game of football, I still clapped them off the field and there is a bit of backs against the wall mentality.  I know you are a supporter of WR.  I wonder whether we would have got Jags if he wasn’t here

4 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

As well as the sheer joy at being back watching football live. TV is never the same. Felt quite overwhelmed when first got to our seats at Peterborough so cant imagine how it will feel to finally get to Pride Park

48 minutes ago, Spanish said:

Expectations are lowered, it was a poor game of football, I still clapped them off the field and there is a bit of backs against the wall mentality.  I know you are a supporter of WR.  I wonder whether we would have got Jags if he wasn’t here

Jags is there. 

It wasn't a poor game of football at all. That's the sort of comment that you get when Sky show a game and it's not the 'big boys'! It was a hard fought game that the ref never really got hold of. There was tension and excitement and anger and happiness. Plus skill and determination.

2 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Jags is there. 

It wasn't a poor game of football at all. That's the sort of comment that you get when Sky show a game and it's not the 'big boys'! It was a hard fought game that the ref never really got hold of. There was tension and excitement and anger and happiness. Plus skill and determination.

Yep I enjoyed it. End to end game if two halves etc

2 hours ago, 24Charlie said:

Lock him under the stairs for a few days bloody half fan.

3 hours ago, Unlucky Alf said:

Are there any entitled fans?, There's a multitude of differing supporter, From the young to the old, From the cheerfull to the grumpy, From the loyal to the casual, From the lone attendee to the group, From the infirm to the able bodied, And i'll wager there was more than 1 supporter there yesterday that MOANED, It's a human trait, It's in their character, They can't help themselves, I've found over the years that the "moaners" are those that don't understand the game, That want to play to up to those around them, That when at work always complain about the most obscure things.

Back in the day at the BBG(Popside both Columbo and Vulcan Street, Ossie End, C Stand Paddock) I can't remember any moaners, Not excluding the A B and C stand who in the main are todays West Standers(I think)We were stood close together all for one and one for all, We'd encourage or howl with rage our dissatisfaction at the players.

Today it's a different world, Sit down, Don't swear, Do not abuse either players or officials or other supporters, So Ilson I think you're right there are those that think they're entitled, With fortune they can moan about the moaners on message boards.

I don’t expect all fans to be stood up singing and cheering the whole game. That’s not For them and they can choose how to enjoy the match. My issue and point is that we seem to have lost a hell of a lot of the ‘groan at the first sign of a sideways pass’ brigade which does negatively impact the team. When you play a pass and a few thousand fans all collectively groan at you it’s not useful. 

It isn’t about the ‘I’m a better fan than you’ it’s about the ‘we seem to have lost a lot of fans but the atmosphere is better’. Is it down to some groaners staying away? I think this definitely impacts it in my opinion. Obviously other factors are the siege mentality that’s been developed over the past year due to EFL etc. 

I’d love for the ground to be full to the rafters but not at the expense of the supportive atmosphere we’ve seen this season. If we can be full and have the atmosphere with no groaning and whinging during the 90 minutes we want them to be busting a gut for us then amazing this is what we all want. If not I’d rather lower attendances like yesterday.