Derby County vs Middlesbrough

RadioactiveWaste

Just now, 86 Hair Islands said:

More importantly though, I'd stick with the style of play

In fairness I think the style of play has been more or less the intent this season, just the tactical tweaks and personnel tweaks enabled it to actually work.

2 minutes ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

but I wasn't so sure about Sam Baldock. Suffice to say I thought he was excellent last night. Seems an intelligent lad too and I'm hopeful he could prove something of a steal if his debut goal has breathed a little confidence back into him.

I think one thing we should all accept right now and be patient with is he isn't going to be clinical, probably far from it. If he plays all season he will likely get between 5-10. I'm not saying that to be disparaging but more to say judge him on how the attacking unit functions with him in it rather than purely his output.

2 minutes ago, brady1993 said:

In fairness I think the style of play has been more or less the intent this season, just the tactical tweaks and personnel tweaks enabled it to actually work.

I predicted a 2-0 win for us last night, but if you saw the style and manner of that performance coming, you're a better man than me. We could have buried them last night and perhaps should have.

I think fitting Tom back in the 11 creates a major problem. We certainly wont have all the space Hull gave us, that was a bit of an oddity. Keep the ball on the ground and in control and our star players will continue to look very different

14 minutes ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

I predicted a 2-0 win for us last night, but if you saw the style and manner of that performance coming, you're a better man than me. We could have buried them last night and perhaps should have.

I wasn't expecting it to necessarily click last night but I think there have been small signs of something developing. 30 mins against Peterborough, a decent chunk against Salford along with some of the pre-season stuff. However we've been floundering because the right personnel weren't in place, I mean we've been trying to play out from the back with Stearman and Davies...

Hopefully Lawrence doesn't come straight back in, we played well last night and if he comes back in I can't see us playing as well. The Lawrence we had under Rowett and Lampard seems to be long gone, if he can play like he used to he'd be an asset but everytime I watch him play he does 5 bad things for every decent bit of play and loses the ball too much. 

With him being Captain I think if he's fit Sibley drops to the bench unfortunately. 

Edited by Marriot Ram99

I think there's a motivational issue here with Lawrence. If Rooney drops Sibley and Lawrence waltzes back in, what messages does that send out? That no matter how well Sibley plays, he will always be seen as secondary to Lawrence? That Lawrence has a place in the team by right and is exempt from having to earn it? Last night's team selection worked extremely well. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

I would play an unchanged side and maybe bring on Lawrence after an hour, depending on how the game is going, to give him an opportunity to impress. Isn't it great to have competition for places again?

Have my ticket booked. First day back after holiday. Asked the good lady and she said good, I need you out of the way so I can sort the washing out.

So, all going well until I tried to book the train. For some reason it seems it will take me two and three quarter hours each way - tight before the game and miles after it.

So modern pricing for a return of timings from the age of steam.

Progress eh?

I assume Lawrence will slot back in if fit as he is captain. I guess it's possible that if he is not 100% he might come off the bench which would make sense? I agree with some comments that neither Sibley nor Lawrence should be an automatic first name on the teamsheet based on current form but I guess we will see tweaking of the team based on fitness and minor knocks as well as managing the youngsters.

4 minutes ago, Anag Ram said:

Have my ticket booked. First day back after holiday. Asked the good lady and she said good, I need you out of the way so I can sort the washing out.

So, all going well until I tried to book the train. For some reason it seems it will take me two and three quarter hours each way - tight before the game and miles after it.

So modern pricing for a return of timings from the age of steam.

Progress eh?

Are you on the milk train?

1 hour ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

I'm a Tom Lawrence fan, I confess, but I think we really need to establish a meritocracy here and stick with it. Unless fitness or injuries force our hand, I can't see any reason to change the side at all. The Tom Lawrence we saw when he returned for the last 9 games or so last season would obviously get a start, but there's no harm in letting him earn his slot back. He's not quite operating at that level yet, so let's not fix what isn't broken and give last night's side a chance to show their performance was no fluke.

More importantly though, I'd stick with the style of play. Can we please NOT revert to simply trying not to lose games? We look a different side when we look to get forward at pace and I'd rather see us losing games trying to play football the right way than the alternative. 

As last thought on the newbies...I've touted Jags and Morrison enough already, much to the chagrin of some on here, but I wasn't so sure about Sam Baldock. Suffice to say I thought he was excellent last night. Seems an intelligent lad too and I'm hopeful he could prove something of a steal if his debut goal has breathed a little confidence back into him. Have to say, all three look good given their lack of football and you'd have to think there's a deal more to come yet too once they've got some games into their legs.

COYR

Your so right about the style of play ! Leaving out our old boys at the back , there are a lot of very young lads in the this team, full of the energy and drive that you have at that age. Let them go out and play to their strengths ! 

6 hours ago, Mucker1884 said:

Is this the official Matchday thread, or just a bit of a chinwag?

#title needs sorting

I don’t know for sure. But we have a new messiah in @RadioactiveWaste.. there has been a socond coming, yea verily.

i’m chin wagging and backing him for a hat trick … stranger things have happened but 3rd appearances of deities is even in my odd world, are a rare thing. Then, there’s Something about Mel /  Gibson 

Have you seen the movie credits ?

The expendables 

Lethal Weapon 

Mad Max (and Bird on a wire !)

The resurrection 

and “signs”

Printed my ticket, renewed ST … CANT WAIT ! 

7 hours ago, dabber said:

I think fitting Tom back in the 11 creates a major problem. We certainly wont have all the space Hull gave us, that was a bit of an oddity. Keep the ball on the ground and in control and our star players will continue to look very different

Lawrence is a luxury item. Put him in a team that is functioning well and he might win you the match. We on the other hand have a team that rarely functions well. There is a lack of fluidity, we move the ball slowly, sideways etc, we are often poor off the ball all over the pitch.   We have suffered it since February. Until Hull

What changed, to transform us against Hull ? Morrison, arguably. Jagielka? Probably there are many factors. Including Lawrence's absence? Time will tell but Rooney has some thinking to do