Louie Sibley - joined Oxford

On 04/07/2024 at 18:55, Gisby said:

I have to agree. Knight, Bird & Sibley … I supported them wholeheartedly whilst playing for DCFC and I wish all 3 of them well in their future careers but x2 to Bristol City & x1 to Oxford … really!! That in itself speaks volumes as to what the rest of the PL & EFL managers thought of them. There are times when we collectively need a reality check when we judge just how good ‘one of our own’ is. Sorry if this sounds harsh but its how I see it 😳

Could not of put your message better myself as for Sibley he as been warming his backside again on the bench so another manager that does not want to start him

59 minutes ago, ramboy63 said:

Could not of put your message better myself as for Sibley he as been warming his backside again on the bench so another manager that does not want to start him

A lot of teams do not put new arrivals into the team immediately - considered harsh on the incumbents. They wait until an injury or obvious loss of form, then it's up to the new arrival to make the most of their chance and cement their place.

41 minutes ago, IslandExile said:

A lot of teams do not put new arrivals into the team immediately - considered harsh on the incumbents. They wait until an injury or obvious loss of form, then it's up to the new arrival to make the most of their chance and cement their place.

Yes, they seem to have limited new starters to Cumming (the GK), Vaulks and Placheta so far, despite signing about 12 players. It looks like its Rodriguez that he needs to dislodge because they'd never drop Branagan.

4 hours ago, ramboy63 said:

I refer you back a couple of comments to Ghost of Clough who points out that Sibley only had 25 matches where he has been given a full 90 minutes in the Advanced Midfield position, yet he has provided 14 goals or assists. And managers are prepared to throw that away b y ignoring him?  Look - IT IS EXACTLY WHAT WE ARE MISSING, AND EXACTLY WHAT WE WERE MISSINGEVERY TIME WE REFUSED TO PLAY HIM THERE.

Thanks Dave for the stats, he reminds me so much of John McGovern, very few rated him at Derby where he won 2 titles, followed Clough to Leeds, then onto Forest where he won 1 title and 2 European Cups,not bad for a player the fans did not rate.

I do hope Sibley gets a chance in his prefered role of Advanced Midfield and proves the doubters at Derby wrong, for there are many on this forum relishing that he fails,which is rather sad.

13 hours ago, DavesaRam said:

I refer you back a couple of comments to Ghost of Clough who points out that Sibley only had 25 matches where he has been given a full 90 minutes in the Advanced Midfield position, yet he has provided 14 goals or assists. And managers are prepared to throw that away b y ignoring him?  Look - IT IS EXACTLY WHAT WE ARE MISSING, AND EXACTLY WHAT WE WERE MISSINGEVERY TIME WE REFUSED TO PLAY HIM THERE.

No. We need an upgraded version of Sibley who consistently produces performances, not the occasional one. So many managers discarded him - were they all wrong or is it something you’re not seeing? I know you were his No 1 fan but he just didn’t cut the mustard. We all wish he had but…….Time to let him go.

1 minute ago, On the Ram Page said:

No. We need an upgraded version of Sibley who consistently produces performances, not the occasional one. So many managers discarded him - were they all wrong or is it something you’re not seeing? I know you were his No 1 fan but he just didn’t cut the mustard. We all wish he had but…….Time to let him go.

Don’t agree at all , I thought Louie had really matured as a footballer in the last 12 months , his performances at left back were testament to that , knuckling down into a new role and doing it well

11 minutes ago, Premier ram said:

Don’t agree at all , I thought Louie had really matured as a footballer in the last 12 months , his performances at left back were testament to that , knuckling down into a new role and doing it well

But he left by his own choice having been offered a new contract. He never convinced or was consistent in his presumably preferred role further up the pitch, when he would have one good game but then disappeared thereafter.

13 hours ago, SirBrian said:

Thanks Dave for the stats, he reminds me so much of John McGovern, very few rated him at Derby where he won 2 titles, followed Clough to Leeds, then onto Forest where he won 1 title and 2 European Cups,not bad for a player the fans did not rate.

I do hope Sibley gets a chance in his prefered role of Advanced Midfield and proves the doubters at Derby wrong, for there are many on this forum relishing that he fails,which is rather sad.

Rubbish. McaGovern was like Geraint Williams, Lee Carsley or even John Eustace. Someone who did the donkey work, kept the shape, mopped up and gave it to the players who had more ability. He was not rated because he didn't do the flashy stuff. Totally different to Sibley who does a bit of flashy stuff, scores  few brilliant goals and then makes little to no impact in games. Im not relishing anything, I really wanted him to succeed but he isn't good enough simple as that. He will end up in league 1

25 minutes ago, On the Ram Page said:

But he left by his own choice having been offered a new contract. He never convinced or was consistent in his presumably preferred role further up the pitch, when he would have one good game but then disappeared thereafter.

After his breakthrough season in 19/20, where he had 2 runs of 3 games at CM/AM (resulting in 4 goals and 2 assists), he didn't get back to back starts in that position again until 22/23. Who was the manager during that spell?

In 22/23, he had 3 sets of 2 back to back games (2 goals), with another spell at the end of the season as a one of two 10s (essentially used as a winger).

In 23/24, he had 2 more spells of 2 games at AM. This time he had 1 goal and 1 assist, but pulled off at half time in the second game of both of those.

In summary, the longest spell he had a AM under any manager was just 3 games. That's never enough to allow a young player to develop consistency.

8 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

After his breakthrough season in 19/20, where he had 2 runs of 3 games at CM/AM (resulting in 4 goals and 2 assists), he didn't get back to back starts in that position again until 22/23. Who was the manager during that spell?

In 22/23, he had 3 sets of 2 back to back games (2 goals), with another spell at the end of the season as a one of two 10s (essentially used as a winger).

In 23/24, he had 2 more spells of 2 games at AM. This time he had 1 goal and 1 assist, but pulled off at half time in the second game of both of those.

In summary, the longest spell he had a AM under any manager was just 3 games. That's never enough to allow a young player to develop consistency.

Don’t buy it. He had a few good games and that hat trick day was very special but he is never going to be a Paul Scholes. Champagne moments once in a while but he never gave me that feeling ….. “Woooah Sibs has got the ball, magic is about to happen.” If he was as good as some believe I know I would have felt that. I didn’t. 

That said, I wish he had stayed, useful all round player on his day, but he wanted a change or a bigger paycheque. 

Potential AM god ? I just don’t see it. Oxford are lucky though. Sibs on a free .. good business

1 hour ago, jono said:

Don’t buy it. He had a few good games and that hat trick day was very special but he is never going to be a Paul Scholes. Champagne moments once in a while but he never gave me that feeling ….. “Woooah Sibs has got the ball, magic is about to happen.” If he was as good as some believe I know I would have felt that. I didn’t. 

That said, I wish he had stayed, useful all round player on his day, but he wanted a change or a bigger paycheque. 

Potential AM god ? I just don’t see it. Oxford are lucky though. Sibs on a free .. good business

He is receiving a lot less than he was on here and a lot more than we offered him to stay.

48 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

He is receiving a lot less than he was on here and a lot more than we offered him to stay.

So, he had a legacy contract that paid big money from a past economic environment. Neither club was offering that level in the new reality. He took a job and the best salary he could get even though it was lower than he had previously earned. Yep, that makes sense. Makes you wonder what he was on ? 

The world is changing. We won’t be big salary payers in relative terms but I get the sense that many others are trimming their sails too. Has to happen. There simply isn’t the income in the league/business to pay 20 plus people getting on for a million a year each. Doesn’t add up.

On 21/08/2024 at 08:23, On the Ram Page said:

Let me remind you once more - 14 goals or assists on 25 starts in the AM role, which is better than 1 in 2!!!!

The only inconsistency there is that when he did actually start a match it was in any position but Advance Midfield.

He probably chose to leave because even if he did play AM he would get neck-ache from watching the ball whizz past him down the wings, or hurtle overhead. Perhaps he couldn’t see Warne changing how he used midfield and therefore would still get little opportunity in his best position. So he moved, hoping to “do a Weimann”.

On 20/08/2024 at 19:17, SirBrian said:

McGovern only won 1 league title with derby unless your counting the division 2 title also