Derby County Vs Notts County pre season friendly Meadow Lane 1st August 1 pm k.o.

Tyler Durden

1 minute ago, Carl Sagan said:

I'm pretty sure it is. It's a catch-22 for Cashin. We won't want to play him in an official game because if we do, we won't be able to sign one of the triallists. But if we sign the triallists we won't want to play him in an official game! Hence my comment it's an odd selection today.

Of course thrilled for him that he acquitted himself well. I do like our tradition of Irish connections, currently with him, Festy and Jason Knight flying the tricolour at Derby. 

Not sure it quite works like that, looking at Brum when they had a similar embargo a few years back. Pretty sure we could sign 4 trialists and start the season with them. If we then promote Cashin (or any others) from the youth squads it just means we're above quota for the next transfer window (ie we'd have to move two players on before we could bring one in). 

If Cashin was promoted to the first team squad end of last season they'd probably say different but right now he's a youth player and will start the season as it, whether he starts the Huddersfield game or not. 

1 minute ago, Carl Sagan said:

I'm pretty sure it is. It's a catch-22 for Cashin. We won't want to play him in an official game because if we do, we won't be able to sign one of the triallists. But if we sign the triallists we won't want to play him in an official game! Hence my comment it's an odd selection today.

Of course thrilled for him that he acquitted himself well. I do like our tradition of Irish connections, currently with him, Festy and Jason Knight flying the tricolour at Derby. 

We can’t work like that mate .

We can’t rely on trialists may or maybe not situations. 

I know it’s disappointing but that where we are at .

Full time 0-2 & a really encouraging display.

Yes, Notts County are National League, yes they're earlier on in their pre-season & yes, they should have scored at least once in that 10 min spell after half time. Today though was more about seeing how the young lads could step up in the event of being needed next Saturday & thought Ebosele and Cashin made a really strong case for starting v Huddersfield come what may. Festy caused carnage running at their left side & was very good defensively but probably more excited about Cashin. We are particularly weak at CB given the current nonsense but his performance was so assured & authoritative, its cheered me up no end.

Enjoyed watching us play overall as well. Lots of pop passes around midfield & there were long spells when Notts couldn't get close to us. Not naive enough to think we'll be as comfortable playing like that against your average Championship cloggers but the only way these lads are going to improve is by being exposed to those situations. Trialists signed or not, I want to see plenty of Cashin, Williams, Hutchinson, Thompson, Stretton & of course Festy this season.

Last word for Craig Forsyth - two games in a row at CB, two clean sheets & been very accomplished in both games. He's got a massive role this season & has started well.

18 minutes ago, Eatonram said:

Is this correct? If we play one of the kids because we can’t sign players this means we are then actually not allowed to sign a player because the kid has now become of professional standing? You couldn’t make it up. 

If it is true then surely we just wait until the end of the summer transfer window. Play someone who already counts towards the limit, sign whoever we are allowed to and the play cashin after that.

At work so had to keep an eye on this thread for updates.

Sounds like the young lads all did well and it’s good for them to get game time if we’re going to be using them. Still not sure why they haven’t played more so far, but hopefully there’s some semblance of a plan……maybe.

Despite the youngsters doing well we will need experienced players so fingers crossed we can get some in and registered for the first game. Notts County was a decent work out, but poo gets real next weekend!

Those saying calm down, a win is a win, winning mentality is important. You can only beat what is infront of you, and after losing at salford we have improved and beaten a very good real betis side, followed up by a good away win with many youngsters starting the game. It seems like damned if you do, damned if you don't with some fans. Loads of positives to take from the last 2 games, going to be a long season ahead of course, but we have to have faith or we have nothing. UTR

Just now, chewbacca said:

Those saying calm down, a win is a win, winning mentality is important. You can only beat what is infront of you, and after losing at salford we have improved and beaten a very good real betis side, followed up by a good away win with many youngsters starting the game. It seems like damned if you do, damned if you don't with some fans. Loads of positives to take from the last 2 games, going to be a long season ahead of course, but we have to have faith or we have nothing. UTR

Yeah, I was only saying calm down in the sense that the futures of some promising young players were being plotted based on today. 

Cashin looks a player for sure and Ebosele is a great raw talent. 

A second successive win should cheer the team up but like Betis, they should have scored a couple. 

Jozwiak and Lawrence again offered nothing. 

We passed with more pace and threat first half. 

24 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

Just out of curiosity, what would you consider being a ‘good squad’ compared to the rest of the Championship? One capable of finishing in the top half? Top 16?

I don’t want to dampen the mood, but we really struggled towards the end of last season and our squad is weaker now going into the season.

I hope the youngsters can step up but importantly I hope the supporters in general curb expectations and show support. It would be demoralising to hear boos should we endure a tough start to the season which is probably to be expected.

Apart from Clarke going I do not see a great drop from last season if we get the triallists that Wayne wants. Mid table will be a big improvement and represent a good squad with several young players on the way through. So many players underperforming last season. Reasonable performances from most of the triallists would mean a big improvement.

Wins breed confidence and we’ve not had much of that recently. Can only beat what’s in front of you, what today proved is we have some great young lads with big futures ahead of them, but with the right attitude to put their bodies on the the line for shirt.

No one is getting carried away, but people on here are worried we’re going to roll over and capitulate every game and be cut adrift. Still think our squad is better than Wycombe’s was last season, with some graft and fight we have a chance to survive.  I feel more confident we can compete this season after watching that but I have zero expectations. Just want us to avoid being relegated and if they fight for the shirt every week that’s enough for me, while the mess above needs to be sorted out! 

1 minute ago, Rampage said:

Apart from Clarke going I do not see a great drop from last season if we get the triallists that Wayne wants. Mid table will be a big improvement and represent a good squad with several young players on the way through. So many players underperforming last season. Reasonable performances from most of the triallists would mean a big improvement.

It’s actually a very fair point 

of the ones who left 

Clark is the only one that consistently performed … he was very much part of a pretty pathetic back line .. which still somehow looked even worse when he wasn’t present 

Marriotts contribution was literally nothing 

waghorn was pretty dire most of the year … bar that final game 

Edmondson , mengi ,meh some good and bad.

if u get bielik in and fit that negates most of not what we’ve lost and some 

I’m still horribly concerned and want answers or actual action from the club and Mel come Wednesday but u never know we may fudge it 

30 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

Just out of curiosity, what would you consider being a ‘good squad’ compared to the rest of the Championship? One capable of finishing in the top half? Top 16?

I don’t want to dampen the mood, but we really struggled towards the end of last season and our squad is weaker now going into the season.

I hope the youngsters can step up but importantly I hope the supporters in general curb expectations and show support. It would be demoralising to hear boos should we endure a tough start to the season which is probably to be expected.

With the triallists included there are a lot of steady players. If they gel we will do better that last season. Several managers in our league could do well with our squad plus the triallists plus a couple of loans