Derby County Vs Notts County pre season friendly Meadow Lane 1st August 1 pm k.o.

Tyler Durden

25 minutes ago, Ravabeerbelly said:

Cashin was excellent but if he’s 6’1” I’m a Dutchman.

Im saying he’s 5’10” maybe 5’11” 

However it’s largely irrelevant as he didn’t lose an areal battle all game and his reading of the game was first class. 

If he was 6’5” but lost headers and got in the wrong position all game would that be better?

If Albentosa left a pair of boots that should add another couple of inches.  6'1 same as McGrath . Sorted

10 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

I think he has shown parts of his game is very good. He wouldn’t be a Poland international and touted for the top if he wasn’t. 

He needs to show an end product

Wasnt against you pal. You obviously see he needs to do better. He has done very little in a Derby shirt. And its nothing to do with players around him either. 

1 hour ago, LeedsCityRam said:

He's 6' 1" - possibly slightly below average height for Championship CB but not noticeably so. From today's evidence he was brave in aerial battles, decent spring on him, well positioned & got good distance on his headers...all more important than pure height. 

He also looks quite a physical lad & I'd argue strength is as important to deal with the units that play up top in the Championship. His comfort on the ball also suits what looks to be our new style. Whilst we urgently need Jagielka & Davies through the door, I'd really like Cashin to start plenty of games this season. Think he could mature into a good CB at our level especially with one of those two alongside him.

I sat close by and got a great view of his work today. Very assured, authoritative, calm. He is very solid and physically mature, with powerful quads that give him good balance and spring. He has a maturity that belies his age. 

1 hour ago, LeedsCityRam said:

He's 6' 1" - possibly slightly below average height for Championship CB but not noticeably so. From today's evidence he was brave in aerial battles, decent spring on him, well positioned & got good distance on his headers...all more important than pure height. 

He also looks quite a physical lad & I'd argue strength is as important to deal with the units that play up top in the Championship. His comfort on the ball also suits what looks to be our new style. Whilst we urgently need Jagielka & Davies through the door, I'd really like Cashin to start plenty of games this season. Think he could mature into a good CB at our level especially with one of those two alongside him.

Is he 6’1” though? When he celebrated his goal he looked smaller than Ebosele whose 5’8”. 
Its certainly the first thing I noticed about him. Hopefully it doesn’t hold him back as he did look good but against the likes of Mitrovic etc in the championship he’ll need some leap. 

1 hour ago, KBB said:

Puyol was under 6ft too  Michael Johnson wasnt the tallest either.

If you arent 6ft plus you have to read the game very well and have excellent decision making. Knowing when to challenge, when to drop, when to go tight, when to contest a header are all skills that can help you win physical battles.

Exactly this, just screenshotted this and sent to my 11 year old.

He’s an aspiring CB/RB, short for his age but a terrier and rarely beaten for pace etc, working on the points above!

It amazes me that people are critically focusing on Cashin’s height - As far as I saw yesterday, there was only one header he didn’t get near and that was because he was slightly out of position and misjudged it. He has very good heading ability and can get up much higher than than I had envisaged. He’s physically very strong and goes in hard when tackling. but beautifully timed. 
Comments about his height are farcical, when you consider two of Derby’s greatest CB’s were Todd at 5’9’’ and McFarland at 5’11’’ respectably - relatively structurally disadvantaged too !! 

1 minute ago, Keepyuppy said:

It amazes me that people are critically focusing on Cashin’s height - As far as I saw yesterday, there was only one header he didn’t get near and that was because he was slightly out of position and misjudged it. He has very good heading ability and can get up much higher than than I had envisaged. He’s physically very strong and goes in hard when tackling. but beautifully timed. 
Comments about his height are farcical, when you consider two of Derby’s greatest CB’s were Todd at 5’9’’ and McFarland at 5’11’’ respectably - relatively structurally disadvantaged too !! 

...and a more recent fan favourite, Jake Fred Buxton at 5'11"

5 minutes ago, Keepyuppy said:

All true, but it doesn't change the fact that it's a lot harder for a young player to become an established Championship centre back when he's as (relatively) small as Cashin. Not impossible, but definitely harder.

Edited by DarkFruitsRam7

Well from what I saw yesterday, he has more understanding of his role as CB and how to actually defend, than what was on show in our team in the entirety of last season. 
If I was thinking of which players to sign from our ‘trialists’, then unfortunately I’d let Wisdom go elsewhere, because a) we have enough cover at RB, b) He’ll be on the maximum wage within EFL allowances and most importantly, he’s not very good at CB imo 

- it will also allow us to pick up a better option fit the squad from the trialists ?

25 minutes ago, Keepyuppy said:

Well from what I saw yesterday, he has more understanding of his role as CB and how to actually defend, than what was on show in our team in the entirety of last season. 
If I was thinking of which players to sign from our ‘trialists’, then unfortunately I’d let Wisdom go elsewhere, because a) we have enough cover at RB, b) He’ll be on the maximum wage within EFL allowances and most importantly, he’s not very good at CB imo 

- it will also allow us to pick up a better option fit the squad from the trialists ?

Wisdom has to go if we want to progress. I would rather watch Cashin develop and make mistakes rather than watch the guaranteed howlers from Wisdom.

14 minutes ago, Igor Igor Whats the Score? said:

Wisdom has to go if we want to progress. I would rather watch Cashin develop and make mistakes rather than watch the guaranteed howlers from Wisdom.

I like Wiz, but it got to a stage that whenever the ball was passed to him I heard myself saying "oh no" yeah time to move him on 

55 minutes ago, Keepyuppy said:

The two best chances Notts had yesterday were a header misjudged by and a cross misjudged by, Forsyth. 

He's okay as a fill in but despite his height, he's not the best defender in the air. 

He actually attacks the ball better in advanced positions. 

Better wide left than in the middle. 

Cashin seemed to judge the flight much quicker and has spring heels. 

2 minutes ago, Coconut said:

Why? Passing isn't one of his weaknesses 

Wisdom takes forever on the ball, and he usually makes the safe backwards pass. There was a time when he first joined us that we used to joke about him only ever passing to Keogh. He's not changed a lot since then in this regard.

4 minutes ago, Srg said:

Wisdom takes forever on the ball, and he usually makes the safe backwards pass. There was a time when he first joined us that we used to joke about him only ever passing to Keogh. He's not changed a lot since then in this regard.

He takes his time, yes, but he plays plenty of forward passes when there's actually one on.

Much prefer that to a player who tries to force the ball forward at the earliest opportunity when there isn't even a pass on, or there's such a  low percentage chance of making the pass that they give it straight to the opposition three times a match.

Edited by Coconut

5 minutes ago, Coconut said:

Why? Passing isn't one of his weaknesses 

As Srg says he took a lifetime on the ball, that's if he managed to control it at all, always gave pressing attackers time to close him down which generally led to him flapping and having to rush a pass sideways or backwards or just hoof it to the opposition inviting more pressure on ourselves

2 minutes ago, BriggRam said:

As Srg says he took a lifetime on the ball, that's if he managed to control it at all, always gave pressing attackers time to close him down which generally led to him flapping and having to rush a pass sideways or backwards or just hoof it to the opposition inviting more pressure on ourselves

If that's the image you've built up in your head then sure, whatever, I won't try to change it.

Edited by Coconut