As it stands 

Roos 

Byrne  Buchanan Forsyth Shinnie 

Bird

Watson  Sibley 

Jozwiak.   Richards Lawrence 

subs Marshall and 6 from the juniors 

after about 4 games we will be done in 

IF we make no signings I'd personally use Jozwiak as a full back and Shinnie in midfield. Probably even the young left back who played the other day. Would want at least 2 CDMs screening that excuse for a back line. 

I don't expect we will sign anyone before the season opens, so my team would be:

Roos

Byrne      Bird     Forsyth      Buchanan

Shinnie

Watson     Sibley

Jozwiak     Kazim-Richards     Lawrence

Subs:  Marshall   Ebosele   McDonald   Brown   Stretton   Hutchinson

Sadly Rooney has mainly played triallists rather than Derby players in pre-season and, despite our inability to score last season, hasn't looked at a formation that allows more attacking players to play. And there's no chance he'll start Sibley given the lad's only been getting 10 minutes or so in the friendlies. But I would be fairly happy with this team and think it would give us a chance, if we'd spent time preparing properly to get these lads fit and drill them in this formation. 

We're a player short on the bench but these are all the fit players "of professional standing" currently at the club and it would be crazy to bring in someone new from the academy for this one match and then not be able sign someone for the entire season as a result. 

Whichever way these signings pan out we are massively up against it next weekend. Huddersfield have actually played a competitive game today whereas we've either fielded a very inexperienced side today which could be all we have next weekend or alternatively we make signings but they've have limited opportunities to play together in a game. I'd have rather we'd be playing one of the big guns on paper first up as at least then we could brace ourselves for what is probably coming. Worst case scenario here, we lose badly to Huddersfield we'd then be looking at playing a Salford side who've already beaten us in pre-season in a cup game, games after that against the promoted sides Hull and Peterborough. I know none of us probably expect much this season but with games against Gibson's Boro and then Forest to round off August we could all be wishing the season would end pronto by then. 

20 minutes ago, DCFCJim87 said:

I know none of us probably expect much this season but with games against Gibson's Boro and then Forest to round off August we could all be wishing the season would end pronto by then. 

That's not how I feel.

20 minutes ago, DCFCJim87 said:

Huddersfield have actually played a competitive game today

Which they drew and only won on penalties.

21 minutes ago, DCFCJim87 said:

Worst case scenario here, we lose badly to Huddersfield we'd then be looking at playing a Salford side who've already beaten us in pre-season in a cup game, games after that against the promoted sides Hull and Peterborough.

Perfect opportunity to get points on the board and a cup run going.

I'm glad I'm not watching through your eyes.

#COYR

Buchanan will likely miss the game through injury. Forsyth will likely be needed at centre back, depending on who we sign this week, so do we see Shinnie return to a position he once played OR Dylan Williams get a start. I'd assume the former as it doesn't impact the 'professional standing' numbers. 

Edited by Ambitious

13 hours ago, DCFCJim87 said:

Whichever way these signings pan out we are massively up against it next weekend. Huddersfield have actually played a competitive game today whereas we've either fielded a very inexperienced side today which could be all we have next weekend or alternatively we make signings but they've have limited opportunities to play together in a game. I'd have rather we'd be playing one of the big guns on paper first up as at least then we could brace ourselves for what is probably coming. Worst case scenario here, we lose badly to Huddersfield we'd then be looking at playing a Salford side who've already beaten us in pre-season in a cup game, games after that against the promoted sides Hull and Peterborough. I know none of us probably expect much this season but with games against Gibson's Boro and then Forest to round off August we could all be wishing the season would end pronto by then. 

I don't agree at all, I think you're being massively pessimistic here for no real reason

1 hour ago, Ambitious said:

Buchanan will likely miss the game through injury. Forsyth will likely be needed at centre back, depending on who we sign this week, so do we see Shinnie return to a position he once played OR Dylan Williams get a start. I'd assume the former as it doesn't impact the 'professional standing' numbers. 

I suspect we'll still end up having to 'cap' someone anyway, without Buchanan.  We need a LB, 2 CDs, and 2 CMs from Forsyth, Bird, Shinnie and then Jordan Brown, Louie Watson, Ebosele, and Hutchinson.  Assuming Sibley (and CKR) are already in the front 4. Starting Bird + one of Watson/Hutchinson in midfield is crazy lightweight for a championship game.  There's a (dubious) argument for playing Bird at centre half too, and that makes us even worse in midfield.  Starting Ebosele at left back (or on the right, and moving Byrne over) might be the least worst option IMO.  There's still an issue at centre half then though.

Edited by duncanjwitham

With no signings (and Buchanan injured):
Buchanan in for Williams if fit.

Roos
Byrne   Cashin   Forsyth   Williams
Bird   Shinnie
Jozwiak   Lawrence   Hutchinson
Kazim

With just Davies:
Buchanan in for Cashin and Forsyth CB is fit.

Roos
Byrne   Davies   Cashin   Forsyth

With freebies:
Buchanan in for Forsyth if fit.

Roos
Byrne   Jagielka   Davies   Forsyth

Personally, I'd have Lawrence on the left and Sibley AM, but Rooney wants Lawrence central this season. Hutchinson has been better on the LW than Watson so gets to start.

We can either sign players under the professional standing rule or we cannot.

If we can't get Jagielka, Davies, and the other trialists to sign on by the weekend then I can't see us signing them until restrictions are eased. So playing the youth who limit us signing players under the professional standing rule doesn't matter. We'll be waiting for to move to the established player rule either way.

54 minutes ago, kingsy1884 said:

As it stands the likely starting 11 would be.

Roos

Byrne Forsyth Buchanan Williams

Bird Shinnie

Joszwiak Lawrence Watson 

Kazim-Richards

Except Buchanan is injured and not likely to be fit until the Saturday after.

Marshall 

Byrne

Fozzy

Shinnie 

Watson

Lawrence 

Jozwaik

CKR 

that’s 8 if we can add Davies and jagielka in the CB positions and Morrison or Carroll in the midfielder area I think that’s not shabby… if no signings then Cashin Bird and Fetsy come in

14 minutes ago, Topram said:

Marshall 

Byrne

Fozzy

Shinnie 

Watson

Lawrence 

Jozwaik

CKR 

that’s 8 if we can add Davies and jagielka in the CB positions and Morrison or Carroll in the midfielder area I think that’s not shabby… if no signings then Cashin Bird and Fetsy come in

Pretty much agree with you except I would have Roos in goal.

16,500 tickets roughly still available on the website. I'd say with a fairly high level of certainty that we will be someway shy of 20,000. 

The first opening day at home, in front of fans, since 2016. We had 28,749 that day - 27,395 home fans. It looks like we're going to be around 54% of that this time round. A little more than half. 

1 minute ago, Ambitious said:

16,500 tickets roughly still available on the website. I'd say with a fairly high level of certainty that we will be someway shy of 20,000. 

The first opening day at home, in front of fans, since 2016. We had 28,749 that day - 27,395 home fans. It looks like we're going to be around 54% of that this time round. A little more than half. 

Didn't they only go on general sale this morning? Knowing that we won't sell out, I'm guessing people won't feel the need to rush to secure a ticket. I would like to hope that, despite people having Covid concerns, we will get over 20,000.

7 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

down to 15,000 remaining

Edited by tinman