Bobby Duncan

Animal is a Ram

46 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

Similar height and build to Marcus Tudgay? Maybe Bobby Duncan came through 15 years too late.

Smaller than Tudgay. Hard to describe him. Definitely a second striker, bit of skill. He would be better abroad where its less physical 

Here’s my two penneth on Bobby, with apologies to all who are refreshing the transfer forum atm and only seeing updates to Bobby Duncan’s thread!

I’ve been pondering since we saw him in that FA Cup game in January that he might be another lad who’s fallen somewhat foul of the Liverpool academy system* and it’s probably why he looked to leave there. He’s obviously got something, there’s no point debating that but in the Chorley game you can tell his positioning was off and was lacking any sort of nous. So he’s behind on his development of where he could/should be, which is probably frustrating when you want to be knocking on the first team. There’s a player there certainly, but it could be another 2 years until he even looks ready for first team football.

*What I mean by this is tht I think Liverpool run there academy similar to forest in that each level of academy players have a prize goose who they develop for the first team and every one else kinda gets cast aside. It’s works, as you usually get a player worth £10 million plus, but you essentially slow down the development of a load more talented footballers who end up struggling to get higher than league 1. But anyway, different debate for another time.

16 minutes ago, TuffLuff said:

There’s a player there certainly, but it could be another 2 years until he even looks ready for first team football.

How can you tell there's a player there? I've seen absolutely nothing, in the few games his been in, to suggest that. Maybe he was playing in a team at Liverpool that created so many chances he couldn't but score a load.

I've been working on a book similar to Duncan, did well at youth level at Liverpool, scored lots of goals and played four games for the first team. That was when Kenny Dalglish was manager there. His story is similar to so many, that to be an English player and become a regular player is so rare, that level is a huge leap. Jon Newby, he left for first team football, firstly at Bury, and was there when Kazim-Richards was starting out, then Huddersfield, York, Kiddersminster, Bury again, Wrexham, Southport, Crewe, Burton, Colwyn Bay and Warrington. He loved his career and all he wanted to do was play football, but for one season he was close to ousting Emile Heskey and Michael Owen. I'm guessing this close season was Bobby Duncan's chance to do that, and he has blown it.

20 minutes ago, oomarkwright said:

I hope he's still got a chance here and knuckles down. He should get regular u23's games this season of all seasons. 

Could be our Micheal Owen. 

Prefer the look of Plange or Cybulski myself.