Derby County versus Real Betis, 28 July, Pre-Season Friendly

angieram

Lawrence can seemingly do no wrong. I can’t see what he brings to the team. Happy with his work rate but his decision making and execution are awful. He’s just blocking the development of anyone else in that position. To compound it, as has been said elsewhere, the captaincy has made him knots the first name on the team sheet. 

I’m also swaying towards Rooney not being the right man for the job. The weekend antics have a lot to do with it. Not necessarily the one incident but the talk of his general behaviour. Doesn’t help living in Leeds where Bielsa is purely focused on football and absolutely nothing else. Obviously daft to compare the two but we need someone with more focus and respect. Rooney has respect for his football achievements but nothing for his managerial ones thus far. 

8 hours ago, sage said:

Haven't watched the game but I heard we beat the 6th best team in Spain 1 -0.

Just quickly flipped through the thread and it seems we must have lost 5 or 6 nil.

It was a good game of football. Technically skilled opponents who in the first half kept us mostly in our half and without much of the ball. That said we defended well with Jagielka looking very composed and reading positions very well. Two lovely pinged crossfield balls one Morrison and one Lawrence I think, picked out Byrne and gave us hope. Baldock mobile and clever but ultimately toothless - 1/2 a yard off it, lacking strength and a killers finish .. offside but through on goal, hit it straight at the keeper. Two brilliant saves from Roos and the woodwork kept us in the game. Aluko .. a worker but so slow in the first 2 yards it’s painful but a fast tank when he’s finally underway. Fullbacks overlapping was nice to see. Much improved 2nd half. Front foot. Bird higher up the pitch, Davis slotted in well with Jags, Sibley and Joz lively but Louie Watson ..wow !  live wire .. Will o the wisp  but despite light weight had great ball retention and even better the willing intelligent runs off the ball. Delightful pass for Birds goal .. right weight, right place. Shinnie was Shinnie. Tidy and an irritating gnashing terrier - they didn’t like him one bit. CKR made a big difference. He isn’t as polished and deft as Martin but a lot stronger and very able. Somehow he seems a better player live than on TV. No ones fool and brings a togetherness to the front line. If he could finish better he’d be a god at this level.

If we had tried to out score them we would have lost that game …but we didn’t which might just say something positive for Rooney’s game plan. 

9 hours ago, Inverurie Ram said:

ROONEY!.........ROONEY!

...........I like the clubbing lights at the end.........brilliant!

I'd also like to apologise to my family on National TV, but unfortunately National TV are not interested in me...........yet!

?Yes; As I watched I couldn’t help imagining that Gibbo had set up some disco ?? lights for the interview just to make WR feel at home. Gibbo wouldn’t be affected of course due to having his eyes closed. ?

Anyone else notice their No 8 ? Was a real handful in the first half, pressing tackling passing in dangerous areas. Class and I can’t help feeling they went off the boil when he was subbed ? Who was he ? 

2 minutes ago, jono said:

Anyone else notice their No 8 ? Was a real handful in the first half, pressing tackling passing in dangerous areas. Class and I can’t help feeling they went off the boil when he was subbed ? Who was he ? 

Nabil Fekir.... France international and sure he was on the verge of signing for Liverpool a couple years ago

My first “in the flesh” sighting last night of Derby County since we beat Blackburn 3-0 all those months ago. My thoughts:

1. Jagielka is class. In great shape. Plays with a smile on his face. 
2. Roos has improved hugely. Also bulked up. Made 2 great saves and distributed well.

3. Baldock is very average. A poor man’s Marriott. 

4. Lawrence: also bulked up. Anonymous last night and gave the ball away twice. Has the added responsibility of captaincy actually overburdened him?

5. Carroll looked useful and worth keeping. Morrison has great vision and passing but drifts out of the game especially on the left. Aluko looks ok but stifles Byrne a tad.

6. Derby looked so much better 2nd half when Bird, Watson, CKR & Jozwiak entered the field. Bird and Watson have vision to unpick defences which we lacked totally last season. CKR has obvious cutting edge but needs somebody alongside. 

7. Williams - wow! Where has he come from? Looks like he’s got potential to blossom. 

The trialists give us options and added depth but, Jagielka apart, they’re a motley crew of cast offs who perhaps might not live up to some of their hyperbole. I think Bird will really shine this year if played in the right way. Watson also could become first pick. 

But, we will struggle for goals again, unless Stretton gets a chance and suddenly catches fire. 

Overall team potential on last night’s showing: mid-table, having to work very hard to eke out 1-0s and 1-1s. We need more flare so lots of pressure on Lawrence & Jozwiak to produce more. 

Rooney, again, stressed at the end of the match that we're still not in a position to sign these players. For whatever reason. It could be a very different side that plays Huddersfield to the one that we had last night. Forsyth and Jordan Brown could really do with 90 minutes together - or whoever our contracted CB partnership could be. 

12 hours ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

I'd like to imagine that there is a Real Betis forum in Spanish somewhere on the Internet and they are currently having an absolute meltdown about being beaten in pre-season by a second tier team with about 8 senior players on the books that are being managed by a clown.

Of course there is:

mushobetis1907

Ayer, 20:45:59

Otra derrota contra contra un equipo con jugadores a prueba. De vergüenza (Translation: Another defeat against a side with players on trial. Shame on us! )

Not much about how we played though. More complaining about how bad they were.

Edited by handyill

8 minutes ago, Ellafella said:

My first “in the flesh” sighting last night of Derby County since we beat Blackburn 3-0 all those months ago. My thoughts:

2. Roos has improved hugely. Also bulked up. Made 2 great saves and distributed well.

4. Lawrence: also bulked up. Anonymous last night and gave the ball away twice. Has the added responsibility of captaincy actually overburdened him?

5. Carroll looked useful and worth keeping. Morrison has great vision and passing but drifts out of the game especially on the left. Aluko looks ok but stifles Byrne a tad.

6. Derby looked so much better 2nd half when Bird, Watson, CKR & Jozwiak entered the field. Bird and Watson have vision to unpick defences which we lacked totally last season. CKR has obvious cutting edge but needs somebody alongside. 

7. Williams - wow! Where has he come from? Looks like he’s got potential to blossom. 

The trialists give us options and added depth but, Jagielka apart, they’re a motley crew of cast offs who perhaps might not live up to some of their hyperbole. I think Bird will really shine this year if played in the right way. Watson also could become first pick. 

But, we will struggle for goals again, unless Stretton gets a chance and suddenly catches fire. 

Overall team potential on last night’s showing: mid-table, having to work very hard to eke out 1-0s and 1-1s. We need more flare so lots of pressure on Lawrence & Jozwiak to produce more. 

Thanks. Can you expand on what you saw in Williams. Most know nothing about him. What position? What type of player? Etc. 

5 minutes ago, David said:

Having a baby, I assumed it would be his missus carrying it, but maybe not 

Dutch folk are always a bit avant garde and ahead of the curve @David. Given his new improved man-bun I suspect he might be trying to get a move to Dirty Leeds.

4 minutes ago, Ellafella said:

I'd agree with all of that except I would have swapped your comment 5 about in that I thought Carroll drifted in and out of the game whereas Morrison always looked to be involved. Agree about his vision, though.

Stretton more of a Baldock type striker than a CKR hold up style, so will be interesting to see him in that role when he's fully fit. I'm hoping he will fit that bill and means we don't need Baldock, as I would rather use that precious signing slot for Morrison. After the defenders, who are the priority, of course.

5 minutes ago, angieram said:

I'd agree with all of that except I would have swapped your comment 5 about in that I thought Carroll drifted in and out of the game whereas Morrison always looked to be involved. Agree about his vision, though.

See this is where I disagree with both of you. Carroll really moved the ball quickly, one touch and mostly forward. He was always available for a pass and even sometimes carried the ball forward, not really seen at all since Bielik. Definitely a starter for me if we can sign him.

3 minutes ago, Andrew3000 said:

Thanks. Can you expand on what you saw in Williams. Most know nothing about him. What position? What type of player? Etc. 

He’s not fully formed yet. He’s young and still looks like a boy. He was released by Wolves and has only been with us a short-time @Andrew3000. I think he’s left footed. I’m not sure even what position he plays and actually that may be his issue - he has the word “versatile” already appended and that was my problem at football - I played defence, midfield and more rarely up front so too easy to be chopped and changed. That said:

1. Like Will Hughes he looks very comfortable psychologically stepping up and a comfort and ease on the ball that conveys an attitude that he is in no way “phased” by the likes of playing alongside established players. 

2. He has a grace and swiftness and delicate touch and a good eye.

3. He has a good speed of thought and quick decision-making - an intelligent football brain.

Apparently he scores goals despite playing defence. On this brief showing, I’d say he’s more of a creative midfielder by design but just needs to establish a position and work with it. Left midfield or a number 10? 

I hope that gives you a flavour but I’d say it’s more about him having an X factor and a little surprising that Wolves didn’t see it. 

1 hour ago, jono said:

It was a good game of football. Technically skilled opponents who in the first half kept us mostly in our half and without much of the ball. That said we defended well with Jagielka looking very composed and reading positions very well. Two lovely pinged crossfield balls one Morrison and one Lawrence I think, picked out Byrne and gave us hope. Baldock mobile and clever but ultimately toothless - 1/2 a yard off it, lacking strength and a killers finish .. offside but through on goal, hit it straight at the keeper. Two brilliant saves from Roos and the woodwork kept us in the game. Aluko .. a worker but so slow in the first 2 yards it’s painful but a fast tank when he’s finally underway. Fullbacks overlapping was nice to see. Much improved 2nd half. Front foot. Bird higher up the pitch, Davis slotted in well with Jags, Sibley and Joz lively but Louie Watson ..wow !  live wire .. Will o the wisp  but despite light weight had great ball retention and even better the willing intelligent runs off the ball. Delightful pass for Birds goal .. right weight, right place. Shinnie was Shinnie. Tidy and an irritating gnashing terrier - they didn’t like him one bit. CKR made a big difference. He isn’t as polished and deft as Martin but a lot stronger and very able. Somehow he seems a better player live than on TV. No ones fool and brings a togetherness to the front line. If he could finish better he’d be a god at this level.

If we had tried to out score them we would have lost that game …but we didn’t which might just say something positive for Rooney’s game plan. 

Great summary @jono - we were at the same game.

41 minutes ago, Ellafella said:

Not sure you can read too much in to friendlies, win or lose.