Ravel Morrison - signed 1 year deal

Sean

2 minutes ago, DCFC1388 said:

Yeh it probably should have happened by now but he probably still has 6/7 years left in the game and the penny may have finally dropped.

Im not saying he will turn his career around with us but at the same I am not going to just write him off due to his past failings.

Well, if he signs we will see ?

2 hours ago, Leeds Ram said:

I don't want to sound mean but how has his personal situation changed now from the last 3 clubs he was at in the previous 2 years? There must be a reason why he keeps signing to clubs but can't buy a game and there is nothing to suggest this will be any different. If we can't do any better than a 28 year old whose played around 100 games in 9 years then we'll be really struggling. 

When under an embargo we are going to be struggling to get much better, thats where we are as a club. As someone mentioned its talented but flawed (Morrison), average Champ players (Aluko/Baldock) or very experienced players at the end of their careers (Jagielka/Stearman), not sure what fans are actually expecting.

Someones personal or mental situation can easily have changed in 2 years or even less so who knows what may have happened.

Im not saying this will work out but why write him off before you see him play in a DCFC shirt? We have spent alot of money on in form players who have turned out as bad signings, we have got freebies who fans wrote off but been decent. Old/young, in form/cast off, british/foreign, free/big money - there is no guarantee on any of it

34 minutes ago, DCFC1388 said:

When under an embargo we are going to be struggling to get much better, thats where we are as a club. As someone mentioned its talented but flawed (Morrison), average Champ players (Aluko/Baldock) or very experienced players at the end of their careers (Jagielka/Stearman), not sure what fans are actually expecting.

Someones personal or mental situation can easily have changed in 2 years or even less so who knows what may have happened.

Im not saying this will work out but why write him off before you see him play in a DCFC shirt? We have spent alot of money on in form players who have turned out as bad signings, we have got freebies who fans wrote off but been decent. Old/young, in form/cast off, british/foreign, free/big money - there is no guarantee on any of it

I'm perfectly understanding of our situation as a club. I'm not actually against players in such as Aluko, Baldock and Jagielka necessarily as I think that is where we are at as a club and we have to accept that. I am against getting in players who've had 13 clubs in 10 years, played 98 games in their career and only 32 in the past 4 years. All the evidence suggests Morrison's attitude has been consistently awful for over a decade and that this hasn't changed in recent times. Even when he was on loan at Middleborough in 2019-2020 he only got a couple of appearances and fans didn't like what they saw the little that they did. Ado Den Haag last season he managed a paltry 4 games. In my view it's a complete waste of time and effort signing him and if our scouts can't find a player whose played more than 32 games in the past 4 seasons then god help us. 

Edited by Leeds Ram

1 hour ago, RoyMac5 said:

Seemed to work well with Waghorn!

Honestly that's pretty damn debatable and their is enough examples to the contrary.

I will add the caveat that this is the impression I have based on interviews, how players are playing and the bits around why players have left. You can't really know for sure how good someone is at man management unless you are there day to day.

45 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

He was off the boil most of the season, he was at the beginning. Was he listening in the middle? Then Rooney bollocked him and he pulled himself up a bit but immediately got injured! Looked better in the final match. 

It's a small window but the first few games coming back from injury he was in decent form (thinking the forest game and the couple after) but then went off the boil and stayed that way. 

2 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

I believe the likes of Davies, Kazim, Jagielka and Shinnie will play a big role in Morrison's success at the club.
His failings in the past appear to stem from suffering from ADHD, so the wrong people around him in his personal life especially didn't help. Common ADHD symptoms are impulsiveness and an limitation in being able to pay attention. The four players I listed seem to have a good mix of personalities to help look after him and meet his needs

Are you saying that Middlesbrough, Ado Den Haag, Manchester United, Lazio, and QPR to name but 5 clubs didn't have experienced players and personalities to look after him and meet his needs? What makes us any different exactly? and if his ADHD is so bad that it's completely thwarted his chances in the game to this extent then what has changed precisely that means he'll be a success here? 

2 hours ago, Jimbo Ram said:

I would think a good man manager, like in any workplace, would help see improvements in performance….mmmmm

I think we just named super professional captain, both on and off the pitch, to guide him. And the whole team is led by inpiring talker whose has shown to have heart of gold in how he treats elderly. 

FFS, you couldn't make it up ??

Thought Morrison played well vs Utd today, good and positive on the ball and seemed to work hard off it. Constantly tried to make things happen and play forward. 

If ( I know it’s a big if) he can continue playing like this, he will walk into our side. Definitely more creative than anyone else who we have available 

Just now, hughesy 1984 said:

Thought Morrison played well vs Utd today, good and positive on the ball and seemed to work hard off it. Constantly tried to make things happen and play forward. 

If ( I know it’s a big if) he can continue playing like this, he will walk into our side. Definitely more creative than anyone else who we have available 

Fully agree. You could see his pedigree and he played well. I absolutely can’t defend his career to date but I liked what I saw today