Ravel Morrison - signed 1 year deal

Sean

5 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

From the Athletic Article:

"When speaking with The Athletic in September 2020, Ian Burchnall, former manager of Swedish side Ostersunds, where Morrison had moved following an unhappy spell at Lazio, said he had no problems with the attacking midfielder when he worked with him in 2019.

“I had a good experience with him — I liked him,” Burchnall said. “He never missed a training session, never arrived late, never went AWOL. He was polite, he was grateful for everything, he was gracious. There was humbleness.

“I talked a lot to Ravel individually. We’d talk about life, his background, his brothers, his nan. He’s unbelievably misunderstood. It’s so flippant and easy to say he has thrown his talent away and wasted everything when, I tell you what, he hasn’t had it easy throughout his life.”

The same could be said for Morrison’s time at Sheffield United during the 2019-20 season. Though not a terrific timekeeper at first, manager Chris Wilder paired him with more established members of the team to ensure he got to training and meetings on time. Morrison would even stay over in the club hotel to ensure he did not have to make the drive from Manchester and risk lateness.

That he did not feature much at all was less to do with application and attitude and more a tactical decision. With Wilder opting to play a flat 3-5-2, Morrison looked like a square peg in a round hole as it was determined his best position was as a No 10 rather than being deployed deeper in midfield.

That assessment of his character has followed him to Derby where, even though he has only been with the group a short while, people have described him as a “lovely lad” and “a breath of fresh air”.

It's not like we can offer him a long contract anyway. So if it's not worked then in January we can replace him, but if it has worked then we'll both have benefitted.

Hark at you using actual quotes from actual managers rather than rumour and tittle tattle as a stick to beat the club with.  

I think he would be the best CAM at the club to unlock a defence from what I’ve seen. Something we’ve been missing for quite some time. If we can sign him as one of the first 4 so can only give a 1 year contract then surely that’s a risk worth taking? 

If he does well then we can extend and we will have a good player on the books which didn’t cost anything 

Worth the risk. Beggars can't be choosers, and let's face it, we've bought high on players doing well at previous clubs so many times to just get stung. One man's trash (or about 25 teams in this case) can be another's treasure.

I have my doubts that he is suddenly going to turn his career around now. 

This is his very last chance. He'll be playing in a very good league. Much better than Mexico or Holland or wherever he's been. This is a great opportunity for him. If Rooney can't get him playing, I don't think anyone will. This is it. 

From what I've seen he looks a good player. I don't know how to describe it, but he's got that thing that many footballers don't. That flair on the ball, that intelligence. From only 2 games I can see it in him.

If he can just sort himself out and we can get him on the pitch, we'll have a top player in this league no doubt about it.

I'm willing to give him a chance. 

• 2 weeks later...