Ravel Morrison - signed 1 year deal

Sean

12 minutes ago, geordieram 38 said:

he played 98 games at 28 with no major injurys. What have you seen in Rooney's man management in the last year that makes you think he can do what Ferguson,Allardyce,Wilder,Warnock,inzaghi etc etc couldn't . This club can not afford to be massaging Rooney's ego at the moment, we need tried and tested players who know how to fight to stay in this league. 

Agree.

21 minutes ago, geordieram 38 said:

he played 98 games at 28 with no major injurys. What have you seen in Rooney's man management in the last year that makes you think he can do what Ferguson,Allardyce,Wilder,Warnock,inzaghi etc etc couldn't . This club can not afford to be massaging Rooney's ego at the moment, we need tried and tested players who know how to fight to stay in this league. 

Its not all down to the manager? Its down to the player and his own attitude. If at 28 he has finally found himself in a good place off the pitch he may be able to concentrate on his game on the pitch. None of us know about his personal situation but its clear to see that it is that which has held him back, not past managers or his ability.

10 minutes ago, DCFC1388 said:

Its not all down to the manager? Its down to the player and his own attitude. If at 28 he has finally found himself in a good place off the pitch he may be able to concentrate on his game on the pitch. None of us know about his personal situation but its clear to see that it is that which has held him back, not past managers or his ability.

He hasn’t been a success anywhere or stayed anywhere, never held down a first team place on a regular basis, never scored on a regular basis. Don’t you think if it was going to happen it would have happened by now ? Just a thought ?

10 minutes ago, DCFC1388 said:

I don't want to sound mean but how has his personal situation changed now from the last 3 clubs he was at in the previous 2 years? There must be a reason why he keeps signing to clubs but can't buy a game and there is nothing to suggest this will be any different. If we can't do any better than a 28 year old whose played around 100 games in 9 years then we'll be really struggling. 

45 minutes ago, geordieram 38 said:

I presume you aren't aware we can only offer 1 year contracts of up to £11k pw to free agents or loans without fees.

Which tried and tested players will we get on that premise.  

Sign him up. We are going to have a lot of misery this season on the pitch, and probably financially off it. I like the idea of having Ravel where to have the potential each Sunday to read the front page of The Sun. Based on the doomsayers on here it seems possible stories could be:

Drug crazed footballer in secret tryst with team mascot.

Footballing thug nutmegs old lady.

Footballer caught doing 80 mph in a Children’s playground.

Lazy footballer fails to turn up to work 8 times in one week.

Colleen fears for her marriage, after learning of unusual coupling.

Hmmm this one is a tricky situation to see through. To an extent I do think this is the kind of gamble that's perhaps worth taking in our current situation around transfers especially as financially it likely won't cost much (given the restriction we have around contracts we can offer). Given our situation any players we pick up will generally fall into 3 categories; talented but flawed, proven but mediocre or someone who is unproven/unearthed from a place others aren't looking. The last category is the trickiest to do as it relies on robust scouting and the second category obviously can lead to a squad lacking enough talent. The first however can give you immense returns if you catch a player at the right time and with the right management. 

Morrison's talent is indisputable, it's just a question of whether we can something out of him where a lot of other clubs have failed and it's very likely he needs find the right club with the right manager all at the right time in his life. The thing I can't decide is if Rooney is the right person. On the one hand Rooney does have something going for him that none of Morrison's previous managers do in that they already have something of a relationship. Rooney knows him, likely know his personal situation and could well have a decent idea of what would be needed to help him. He also knows the talent that is there and might be willing to give Morrison an amount of slack to find his feet and I can see a situation where it just clicks into place. 

However Rooney could be the really wrong person to get something out of Morrison. Rooney's man management has left something to be desired during his tenure here, his treatment of Sibley is of particular relevance with his comments around Sibley effectively amount to him not doing enough. He has also made comments of Morrison in the past to the effect of him not working hard enough and therefore could be coming into the situation with pre-concieved notions of what the problem is and what needs to be "fixed". It could well be the case that Rooney might lack the required nuance to get somebody like Morrison back on track and quickly get frustrated with him.

I also have a worry that we might gamble substantial time (on and off the pitch) and resources in a doomed attempt to get Morrison firing to the detriment of academy players coming through in similar positions. Especially as he will likely be blocking an area where our arguably most talented young players play.

1 hour ago, geordieram 38 said:

If only we could find some experienced players, available on a free for 1 year or on loan for 6 months. You know like a Jagielka, Stearman, Aluko or Baldock

I believe the likes of Davies, Kazim, Jagielka and Shinnie will play a big role in Morrison's success at the club.
His failings in the past appear to stem from suffering from ADHD, so the wrong people around him in his personal life especially didn't help. Common ADHD symptoms are impulsiveness and an limitation in being able to pay attention. The four players I listed seem to have a good mix of personalities to help look after him and meet his needs

45 minutes ago, i-Ram said:

Sign him up. We are going to have a lot of misery this season on the pitch, and probably financially off it. I like the idea of having Ravel where to have the potential each Sunday to read the front page of The Sun. Based on the doomsayers on here it seems possible stories could be:

Drug crazed footballer in secret tryst with team mascot.

Footballing thug nutmegs old lady.

Footballer caught doing 80 mph in a Children’s playground.

Lazy footballer fails to turn up to work 8 times in one week.

Colleen fears for her marriage, after learning of unusual coupling.

I am not even taking his off the field troubles in to account at all…just basing my scepticism on his dreadful playing record…

34 minutes ago, brady1993 said:

However Rooney could be the really wrong person to get something out of Morrison. Rooney's man management has left something to be desired during his tenure here, his treatment of Sibley is of particular relevance with his comments around Sibley effectively amount to him not doing enough.

Seemed to work well with Waghorn!

14 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

I believe the likes of Davies, Kazim, Jagielka and Shinnie will play a big role in Morrison's success at the club.
His failings in the past appear to stem from suffering from ADHD, so the wrong people around him in his personal life especially didn't help. Common ADHD symptoms are impulsiveness and an limitation in being able to pay attention. The four players I listed seem to have a good mix of personalities to help look after him and meet his needs

Didn’t any of his previous clubs have such players? Straws and clutching come to mind…

1 minute ago, RoyMac5 said:

Seemed to work well with Waghorn!

Agree, Macca, Wazza has been inspirational in terms of his man management, especially with the youngsters. I am sure Waggers will repay the Maestro this season by banging in the goals for us..don’t you think ???

39 minutes ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

For a match roy,the rest of the season he was completely off the boil.

He was off the boil most of the season, he was at the beginning. Was he listening in the middle? Then Rooney bollocked him and he pulled himself up a bit but immediately got injured! Looked better in the final match. 

2 hours ago, Jimbo Ram said:

He hasn’t been a success anywhere or stayed anywhere, never held down a first team place on a regular basis, never scored on a regular basis. Don’t you think if it was going to happen it would have happened by now ? Just a thought ?

Yeh it probably should have happened by now but he probably still has 6/7 years left in the game and the penny may have finally dropped.

Im not saying he will turn his career around with us but at the same I am not going to just write him off due to his past failings.