The UEFA European Championship 2020 Thread

Day

1 hour ago, maxjam said:

Exactly

How many times in your lifetime do nights come around like last night?

As Derby/England fans we've had enough lows not to enjoy the highs every once in a while - especially given the last 18 months or so.

We may or may not get all the way to the final, we may or may not win it, but lets at least enjoy the good times on the way  There will be time to moan soon enough ? 

The England version of Leeds away?

12 hours ago, uttoxram75 said:

I'm not convinced we have a team capable of playing with intent.

Our defence is ok, not brilliant at playing out from the back, but ok at defending.

Pickford is a decent keeper, good shot stopper and decent on 1 on 1's.

We have very little midfield artistry, no Gazza, but we have two fairly average lads who do a great job in thwarting the oppositions attacks in Rice and Phillips - personally I wouldn't have picked either of them but it seems to work. Germany only created two good chances today playing through the midfield.

Sterling is a constant menace to any defence, they are scared of his pace and directness, yes he runs into blind alleys occasionally but it usually takes 4 defenders to stop him - he only has to do it right once to create or score a goal as proven this evening.

So, in summary, I don't believe we can go gung ho from the start against well organised, physical teams. 

Southgate believes he can work his way through this competition and it looks like the players are starting to believe him.

What team would you start with to play with style, intent and urgency?

If Southgate gets it wrong with selection he’ll more than make up for it by getting the players’ heads in the right place. Banana skins are everywhere and the right mentality is critical. Still think Italy are overrated but they could easily beat Belgium without debruyne. That would be a good result for England 

11 hours ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

I’ve seen there are ten pages of discussion about the England game.

To be honest, I don’t care. We’ve just knocked Germany out of a major tournament. I’m 21, in my last summer of freedom, and I’m going to enjoy every single bloody minute.

Greatest country in the world.

Three lions babbbyyy.

P.S. Is @Van der MoodHoover still moaning?

2 hours ago, maxjam said:

Exactly

How many times in your lifetime do nights come around like last night?

As Derby/England fans we've had enough lows not to enjoy the highs every once in a while - especially given the last 18 months or so.

We may or may not get all the way to the final, we may or may not win it, but lets at least enjoy the good times on the way  There will be time to moan soon enough ? 

Man, that's what football is about. 

You forget when it's shoved at you with a billion adverts and presented like a Hollywood movie. 

So much better than Lineker and Jenas etc rattling on and scripted interviews with questions like "you must be pleased with that win?"

Some people will never get it. Magic days and nights shared between fans and players are all too rare. 

4 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

523 again in the next game.

Ukraine are week defensively down the flanks, so we will set up to get our wide players as far forward as possible.
Trippier look to have pulled a muscle so will be rested as a precaution. One of Rice and Phillips will also be rested to avoid being banned for the semi.

Pickford
James   Walker   Stones   Maguire   Shaw
Henderson   Rice
Sterling   Kane   Grealish

I think yellow cards are wiped out after the quarters, so a yellow card in the quarters makes no difference. 

1 hour ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

We weren't very good...... 

... But Germany were woeful. 

I was chatting with a mate and we agreed that it was the first German team either of us could remember which had 3 or 4 players I'd never heard of. 

Their great teams were almost all household names as individuals. 

That said, we did okay, we're basically a 523 when the opposition has the ball and we look tough to break down. 

Both our goals were decent moves. Surprising perhaps, given we hadn't really had much of a sniff up to that point. 

We're not going to change much from now and we should fancy it v Ukraine. If we meet Denmark in the semi finals that's more difficult as they're not bad. 

We might win the thing - lots of factors in our favour. But a final against belgium/spain/italy won't be a gimme. Even at Wembley. 

Hard to grasp what some folk really expect. The gap between the top teams and the supposed also-rans is not huge these days and results this tournament have shown that even the likes of France can't afford to underperform. FWIW, I thought we scored two really well-worked team goals and for all the talk that Germany are poor, they took a very good Portuguese side apart.

As with club football, I'll dare to dream and simply relish nights like Tuesday. If I need a dose of cloying realism, I'll reflect on the pandemic or events at Derby but right now I'll revel in a bit of English pride and quietly pray there's still more to come. Life really is too short for all the handwringing some others seem to favour.

1 hour ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Let's just say the final would be 50:50 and it was 70:30 for each of the QF and SF.

Lose QF = 30%
Win QF, win SF = 49%
Win QF, lose SF = 21%

50% chance of losing the final
51% chance of losing the QF or SF

Ah, I get you now. I interpreted it to mean we're more likely to lose one of those games in isolation.

Now the dust has settled after the German game, anyone else feeling slightly nervous for tomorrow? We’ve been here before haven’t we ?. It’ll be different this time won’t it? Won’t it?