The UEFA European Championship 2020 Thread

Day

13 minutes ago, uttoxram75 said:

I just assume Southgate will err on the side of safety like every England manager since 1970 and we'll lose. We just never seem to have a manager with the gonads to go for it when it matters.

Keegan tried to go for it. Sadly though, he didn't have much of a clue.... 

56 minutes ago, uttoxram75 said:

I just assume Southgate will err on the side of safety like every England manager since 1970 and we'll lose. We just never seem to have a manager with the gonads to go for it when it matters.

Blame the FA for appointing the managers. They are clueless

Could we play Grealish, Foden and Mount with Kane?

Then either 4 at the back with 2 in front, or 3cbs, 2 wing backs and one in front.

Can also really changes things up with 2 of Rashford, Sancho and Sterling coming on as wingers.

Bit late in the day to be trying new formations, but this is during Covid I guess.

5 hours ago, ariotofmyown said:

Could we play Grealish, Foden and Mount with Kane?

Then either 4 at the back with 2 in front, or 3cbs, 2 wing backs and one in front.

Can also really changes things up with 2 of Rashford, Sancho and Sterling coming on as wingers.

Bit late in the day to be trying new formations, but this is during Covid I guess.

The pundits Xi for Croatia had a 433 with Mount in midfield and grealish/sterling and Rashford /Foden up with kane. 

Mount is probably better a bit deeper tbf. 

What seems a bit late is the development of partnerships with great understanding. Mings /Shaw and Godfrey /White were more brand new combinations and they both got easily carved open. 

Might be that Southgate has to go 3 cbs for that reason - we don't have a 4 that are used to playing together. 

Picked as Southgate sweats over Maguire’s fitness.

We could have….erm….not picked Maguire, but this is England, taking injured players into major tournaments is what we do best.

Hope they will be available after the group stages, to then lose immediately after.

14 hours ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

I thought that ward Prowse, the Southampton lad, played well and hope he gets the nod. 

Played better than Phillips I thought. 

I do not understand the hype around Phillips. What does he do? Every game he has played for England he has been the worst player on the pitch, always plays safe passes backwards, takes too many touches before making those backwards passes. He kills any momentum, which is surprising as aren't Leeds meant to be this fast attacking team? 

43 minutes ago, rynny said:

I do not understand the hype around Phillips. What does he do? Every game he has played for England he has been the worst player on the pitch, always plays safe passes backwards, takes too many touches before making those backwards passes. He kills any momentum, which is surprising as aren't Leeds meant to be this fast attacking team? 

Reasonable backup for Henderson and Rice then

1 hour ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

Jealous.

Did you sing the song so closely associated with the mighty Liverpool and Celtic?

No, I went to use the toilet, you know how exciting football can get sometimes....

the whole tournament was amazing, obviously the Holland game was the best, I do remember complaining bitterly that we had to pay 45 for a ticket though....seems some things haven’t changed. 

3 minutes ago, Premier ram said:

would have Foden in ahead of Grealish

England's main strength is attacking set-pieces. No player will get fouled as much as Grealish, so he has to be in there.

Overall, Grealish outperformed Foden last season. Let's also not forget that was in a weaker side, and Grealish would have had less space on the pitch than Foden.

I don't really understand the approach in the last two friendlies.

Surely getting players on the pitch who are going to play together would be better preparation than playing a bunch of players not in the squad and a bunch of fringe players who you hope to God barely play a minute in the tournament?

Tiredness, fitness management blah blah blah I suspect.