Sterling                         Kane                 Grealish 

I know we're a bit weak at CB, but I didn't think it was that severe 

1 hour ago, Anag Ram said:

For me:

Johnstone (Pickford is a liability)

Walker            Mears                Stones         Chilwell

Mount                       Rice                     Foden

Sterling                         Kane                 Grealish 

Pickford will get the nod because of the fashion for keepers who can pass it out. Johnstone hoofed a few straight out of play under no pressure on Sunday, whereas pickford was getting accolades for pinging a few accurate 50 yarders last week.

keeping shots out is secondary it would seem.

28 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

I know we're a bit weak at CB, but I didn't think it was that severe 

Haha, shows where my head was. 

I'd almost be tempted to play Coady as the better organiser but he's not so effective in a four. 

I think we should play our best players and let the opposition worry about defence. 

Teams would hate to play against that front six. 

7 hours ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

Pickford will get the nod because of the fashion for keepers who can pass it out. Johnstone hoofed a few straight out of play under no pressure on Sunday, whereas pickford was getting accolades for pinging a few accurate 50 yarders last week.

keeping shots out is secondary it would seem.

STOP BLOODY MOANING

Euro 2020: Fans at Wembley games required to show proof of vaccination or negative test before entry - BBC Sport

Fans attending England's Euro 2020 group games at Wembley Stadium will be required to show proof of vaccination or a negative test before entry.

Uefa says UK-based ticket holders aged 11 or over can show proof of full vaccination, with both doses received at least 14 days before the match.

Those not fully vaccinated must show proof of a negative lateral flow test taken within the previous 48 hours.

18 minutes ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

I urge everyone to give this a read. You can question his tactics but not his man management or his integrity.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.theplayerstribune.com/posts/dear-england-01f798yfraha/amp

Mawkish, lachrymose drivel. Lacking any form of critical analysis or even.... 

.....a bloody good moan! ?

It’s got to be:

Pickford

James Stones Walker Chilwell

Rice  Bellingham 

Grealish Mount Foden

Kane 

Quarter finals at best for us, I think.

The problem we have is that we have been too experimental. We have given out caps too freely. We’ve not really zoned in on who we are and what we are good at. We’ve not focused on building partnerships and a sense of identity and structure.

It says it all when four days out from our first game of the tournament, everyone has a different starting eleven. 

I look at our squad and I can pick eleven good individuals, but I struggle to pick what feels like a cohesive and well balanced team because there are so many question marks.

We do have talent but I do think this tournament is too much too soon, especially with the injuries to Henderson and Maguire. Their experience more than anything will be a big miss.

I feel it’s going to be a frustrating few weeks. I get the sense we are going to be far too reliant on Kane, Grealish and Mount to conjure up a moment of magic or get us out of trouble.

2 hours ago, Jourdan said:

I get the sense we are going to be far too reliant on Kane, Grealish and Mount to conjure up a moment of magic or get us out of trouble.

So what you’re saying is “we’re relying on good players to create goals to enable us to win games.”

I’m pretty sure that’s how most teams operate. Even city wouldn’t be much good without their world class players creating and scoring opportunities.

Most teams are lucky if they’ve got one game changer, we’ve got half a squad full of players who could create that goal out of nowhere. 

7 hours ago, Jourdan said:

The problem we have is that we have been too experimental. We have given out caps too freely. We’ve not really zoned in on who we are and what we are good at. We’ve not focused on building partnerships and a sense of identity and structure.

I've been thinking exactly this.

Had the euros happened last year like they were supposed to, I would have been more confident because we had an identity  and more of a recognised  starting eleven. And let's not forget we were actually playing well. We beat Spain and Croatia after the world cup and demolished the likes of the Czech Republic and Montenegro 5-0 and 7-0 respectively. 

Since then we've brought many more players into the squad and played so many different teams and formations to the point where nobody knows what's happening. Now we're scraping past teams like Romania. We looked very poor in the recent Nations League, finishing 3rd behind Denmark.

We have more questions than answers. 

5 hours ago, TigerTedd said:

Most teams are lucky if they’ve got one game changer, we’ve got half a squad full of players who could create that goal out of nowhere

But you've got to play these players in a team and formation which allows them to do it. We can't play 5 at the back with two defensive midfielders.

1 hour ago, Rammy03 said:

But you've got to play these players in a team and formation which allows them to do it. We can't play 5 at the back with two defensive midfielders.

Yep! Will Southgate have the guts to go for it? Could be his only really chance...

It was worrying when Southgate was asked about originally picking 4 right-backs - he replied that they were amongst the best 26 English qualified players available to him. I've hated this attitude in previous England Managers - winning tournaments means having the best team with the correct blend, not the best players squeezed into any position just because they're the "best" players - think back to the number of times both Gerrard and Lampard were both selected when it was obvious that they got in each others way.

It's a cowardly attitude that has more to do with pandering to the big clubs and the journos (who will attack the manager if he doesn't select one of their current darlings) rather than trying to give ourselves the very best chance of winning games...

I was originally pretty hopeful of our chances (can potentially cause any team problems but have an iffy defence) but taking unfit players is crazy. In addition, Southgate has completely wasted the last two friendlies by chucking in players that he knew wouldn't be in the squad (have a free cap as compensation for missing out) and by tinkering with the formation so that players are constantly having to adjust to new/changed positions. Really can't see us getting out of the group stages...

16 minutes ago, Gaspode said:

Really can't see us getting out of the group stages...

I don't know if you're joking or not.

But come on, even though as England fans we like to he pessimistic, we are getting out of the group. Remember that only 8 teams will get knocked out. Eight. 4 out of the 6 teams who finish third will make it through.

It is almost impossible for England to not make it to the last 16 in this tournament.

1 hour ago, RoyMac5 said:

Yep! Will Southgate have the guts to go for it? Could be his only really chance...

I hope so. Our best players are attack minded. Let's just play to our strengths rather than playing more defenders to compensate our lack of serious quality at the back. Doing that will almost certainly kill our chances. 

We should be able to outscore any team on our day. That's the way we've got to play.

I can't complain if England go out of the tournament having really gone for it but just getting picked off at the back. You can imagine the outrage if we go out having played 5 at the back with two defensive midfielders.

3 hours ago, Rammy03 said:

I've been thinking exactly this.

Had the euros happened last year like they were supposed to, I would have been more confident because we had an identity  and more of a recognised  starting eleven. And let's not forget we were actually playing well. We beat Spain and Croatia after the world cup and demolished the likes of the Czech Republic and Montenegro 5-0 and 7-0 respectively. 

Since then we've brought many more players into the squad and played so many different teams and formations to the point where nobody knows what's happening. Now we're scraping past teams like Romania. We looked very poor in the recent Nations League, finishing 3rd behind Denmark.

We have more questions than answers. 

All valid points.

However, I'd argue the players we've got at our disposal now are much better than we had a year ago.

• Grealish has by all accounts been outstanding this season and has managed to force his way into international contention.
  • Foden has had his breakthrough season and is now recognised as a world-class talent.
  • Bellingham has obviously developed massively due to his age, but also due to going from the Championship to the Champions League.
  • Mount has stepped up his game to become one of the best in the Premier League.
  • Chillwell and Shaw are both regarded as being in a better place than they were a year ago.
Edited by DarkFruitsRam7