Once a Ram... Not Always a Ram?

JfR

12 hours ago, GenBr said:

He did it because he already had a lot of abuse and a lot of crap from grown adults who professed to be Derby fans on social media. Quite frankly - putting his fingers in his ears is a very mild reaction from him and I admire his restraint. He isn't made of stone - just because the club gave him an opportunity doesn't mean he is obligated to just ignore the idiots in our fanbase.

He could choose to ignore the idiots in our fan base and respect the vast majority of sensible fans. Or choose to react to idiots and risk disrespecting the vast majority. Can’t say I have strong feelings either way  for players who leave the club. With the exception of Will Hughes who I hope will have a great career. I will happily applaud a x ram on his return to the club but will never give one stick as it tends to fire them up and bite us on the arse

11 hours ago, Josh said:

John McGovern is a big one. Really pissed me off when he sold his Derby memorabilia but left his forest stuff, he burnt his bridges with Derby 

Why did that upset you?? He obviously sold the stuff that was worth buying and kept the crud he couldn’t offload 

Wasn't it reported that Whittaker was on the end of racist abuse online from Derby fan(s) after the goal celebration? I don't think any level of goal celebration is deserving of that. Or any abuse in fact.

I have no issue with a former player celebrating a goal against us, it would annoy me if we had a player who scored against a former club and didn't celebrate.

1 minute ago, YouRams said:

Celebrating possibly sending his boyhood club down, who have given him the platform to play professional football, deserves a bag full of abuse.

Nonsense , players should celebrate scoring against who ever. 
Franny Lee scoring for us V Man City was great. 
Fine to give a bit of abuse at the time but once the game is over forget it 

16 hours ago, JfR said:

Kenny Burns is the first to spring to mind, for myself. His allegiance is firmly rooted to those down the other end of Brian Clough Way, and with his digs at us over recent years, he's made no secret of it. Personally, I have no genuine animosity towards him, and I think it's all good fun, but is he a Ram? Most certainly not, in my eyes, and I'm sure he'd say the same.

Agree with this. I find it quite funny. Anyone who gets genuinely pissed off by his wind ups needs to get over themselves.

5 minutes ago, Foreveram said:

On the flip side I remember Charlie George sticking two fingers up to the pop side when scoring for Arsenal after getting dogs abuse and then signing for us and becoming a hero. Who said football fans are fickle.

Totally, all those that came from down the road - pull on a Derby shirt and all is forgiven. Hinton, Hennessey, Shilton, Commons, Tyson, the returning Gemmill, Robertson. And from the Fox fiddling direction Nish, Savage, King, Lawrence, Ormondroyd and many, many others. 

These are people earning their living (a well paid one, I grant you). They have zero loyalty to their employers now because that is the way the game has been set up - not their fault. Even if they did, abusing them or their family on social media is just beyond what this game is about - from every aspect.

2 minutes ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

Agree with this. I find it quite funny. Anyone who gets genuinely pissed off by his wind ups needs to get over themselves.

Burns never was a Ram and you'd be mad to expect him to be. His career with them included European Cup wins, with us he was at the butt end of his career clagging away for us at the wrong end of the old second division.

Second point, as raised earler, it's pantomime. You are literally getting wound up over Widow Twanky playing the audience and the joke's on you if you are one of them.

41 minutes ago, YouRams said:

Celebrating possibly sending his boyhood club down, who have given him the platform to play professional football, deserves a bag full of abuse.

He is a footballer, he is paid to score goals, he should be able to celebrate when he does (and is sticking his fingers in his ears really that much of a celebration?), regardless of the opposition, no one "deserves a bag full of abuse". I mean seriously, we weren't even involved in the match yesterday so what difference does it make to us? And Morgan was an unused substitute? 

It is just pathetic and people need to grow up. 

Show a player respect when he's with us and they'll show respect back.

Unfortunately there are a noisy minority (both on social media and at matches) who want to pick a fight.

Tom Ince at Stoke - looked petrified when he came onto the pitch first match against us but the majority clapping him soon drowned out the few haters and he clapped us back.

Can't understand people who abuse our own players myself, especially those who've come through the ranks with us. 

Edited by angieram

It's unfortunate with Morgan Whittaker. He left for a better opportunity and who can blame him for that because it just wasn't working out here for various reasons. He certainly received a load of unnecessary grief from the cesspit of social media but most folk on here and other forums totally understood his reasons for leaving and wished him well.

However, a specific goal celebration for scoring against a team is always going to be interpreted as a dig at all fans of that club though, whether they were supportive of your decision to leave or not. No issue with him celebrating at all, I don't expect him to walk solemnly back the the centre spot shrugging off his team mates but I just felt that the 'chuff you' gesture was a bit unnecessary and he could have shown a bit more of the class that I'd expected of him due to his good off field stuff at Derby. I still broadly wish him the best but leave out the mardy stuff eh ?

I think the fans are quite fair. All we ask is for the players to give it their all. The reason Knight and Sibley got the love is because they did that. They got stuck in and backed it up with goals.

We didn't see any of this from Whittaker. He never really looked like he was giving it everything. And he was given chance after chance to show something but in my opinion he didn't. So it's understandable that the fans get frustrated.

He then goes to Swansea, scores a fluke goal against us and proceeds to stick his fingers in his ears and use that very image as his Twitter profile. He's now deleted his Twitter after getting stick from Derby fans.

It's all fun and games at the end of the day. If you're going to give it, you've got to take it. 

41 minutes ago, Rammy03 said:

I think the fans are quite fair. All we ask is for the players to give it their all. The reason Knight and Sibley got the love is because they did that. They got stuck in and backed it up with goals.

We didn't see any of this from Whittaker. He never really looked like he was giving it everything. And he was given chance after chance to show something but in my opinion he didn't. So it's understandable that the fans get frustrated.

Fans were on Whittaker's back from his first home game because they saw a skinny, lanky kid and thought that he would be someone to run and chase down, and because he wasn't and they thought he was being lazy he was given a hard time. 

You say he was given chance after chance, he started 2 league games and had 23 sub appearances, hardly given a chance at all.