Once a Ram... Not Always a Ram?

JfR

Been seeing Morgan Whittaker getting a lot of stick from some fans now that it's confirmed that Swansea are going to be staying in this league next season. I'm not going to discuss whether this is warranted or not, but it got me wondering: We always say "Once a Ram, Always a Ram", but what former players or other club associates would you say this doesn't apply to? Former Rams that have turned traitor against the club, otherwise burned their bridges, or who would return to Pride Park to more jeers than cheers.

Kenny Burns is the first to spring to mind, for myself. His allegiance is firmly rooted to those down the other end of Brian Clough Way, and with his digs at us over recent years, he's made no secret of it. Personally, I have no genuine animosity towards him, and I think it's all good fun, but is he a Ram? Most certainly not, in my eyes, and I'm sure he'd say the same.

What do you think?

9 minutes ago, JfR said:

Been seeing Morgan Whittaker getting a lot of stick from some fans now that it's confirmed that Swansea are going to be staying in this league next season. I'm not going to discuss whether this is warranted or not, but it got me wondering: We always say "Once a Ram, Always a Ram", but what former players or other club associates would you say this doesn't apply to? Former Rams that have turned traitor against the club, otherwise burned their bridges, or who would return to Pride Park to more jeers than cheers.

Kenny Burns is the first to spring to mind, for myself. His allegiance is firmly rooted to those down the other end of Brian Clough Way, and with his digs at us over recent years, he's made no secret of it. Personally, I have no genuine animosity towards him, and I think it's all good fun, but is he a Ram? Most certainly not, in my eyes, and I'm sure he'd say the same.

What do you think?

Quasimodo springs to mind. The snake of course. Not many players that I can think of...

2 minutes ago, Rammy03 said:

The reason why Morgan Whittaker is getting stick is because he did the fingers in ears celebration after scoring against us. Why did he do it? What's the need? Don't get me wrong I'm not overly bothered about it but it just comes across as a lack of class and respect for a club that gave him an opportunity. 

Oh, I know the reason why, I'm just saying that I'm not intending to get involved in the "is that really worth getting angry about?" argument. I think the post-match interview after that game didn't help, either.

15 minutes ago, Rammy03 said:

The reason why Morgan Whittaker is getting stick is because he did the fingers in ears celebration after scoring against us. Why did he do it? What's the need? Don't get me wrong I'm not overly bothered about it but it just comes across as a lack of class and respect for a club that gave him an opportunity. 

Agree he shouldn’t have done it but as a young player breaking into our first team he got dogs abuse for being ineffective, lightweight etc so moving to a team higher up the league and scoring against us it was bound to happen. 

23 minutes ago, Rammy03 said:

Probably directed more to Rooney who has mismanaged all of our youngsters tbf, not 'the club'.

I don't blame Whittaker at all, he was publicly humiliated and reduced to tears, so naturally he'll react.

Edited by Coconut

If you’re going to give stick to fans on the pitch expect it back on social media that is modern day life, apparently deleted his account because he’s another snowflake that can give it but not take it, see you next season for a bit of proper good old fashioned vocal abuse. Poor mans Mason Bennett. 

“Once a ram, always a ram” feels like a recent slogan of the social media generation. Also a bit of a way to live off glories of those gone on to do better (mount, tomori etc). Though the lampard crop especially seemed to have a good team spirit and stepping stone for young players that means there’s a bit of genuine affinity there. But some players leave on good terms, some on bad, some of indifferent. Always has been the way and always will be.

The Whittaker stuff is embarrassing though. A young lad who got chopped and changed a lot (with a lot of flak along the way), gets sold, scores first league goal for new club and celebrates with not especially controversial fingers to ears celebration. Derby fans lose their mind. Probably mainly as at the time it could have been fatal to our status, but a goal made out of our own incompetence. Petty and embarrassing. I’d have gloated more if I was him frankly.  

Edited by Red_ram

1 hour ago, Rammy03 said:

It's a shut up to the Derby fans who were slating him. Fair enough celebration in my opinion. 

Kenny Burns is playing up for effect. I have spoken to him in the past (1990’s) in Derby where he was living at the time and he was a funny guy... Pretty sure he’s going for the pantomime villain approach.

I might add, not particularly disparaging about the rams.

Edited by Dean (hick) Saunders

It depends entirely on the player. I do like to keep an eye on what most of our former players are doing. I would certainly wish them well if I particularly admired them when they played for us. The indifferent and even some of the bad ones I retain an interest in because their subsequent performances add some context to their time at Derby. I'm mostly very sympathetic to those who just lack talent, since that's a trait I can easily identify with. The few that I don't like are the ones who I consider to be lazy or feckless, a waste of money and a detriment to the club whilst they were here. Rob Earnshaw is a good example. An arrogant little poo heel who felt he should walk into the team and couldn't be bothered to earn the shirt. Spat his dummy when that didn't happen and worst of all went on to be half decent for Forest.

2 hours ago, Rammy03 said:

He’s a kid, he scored a goal he got excited 
Iv not got a problem with it 

2 hours ago, Rammy03 said:

He did it because he already had a lot of abuse and a lot of crap from grown adults who professed to be Derby fans on social media. Quite frankly - putting his fingers in his ears is a very mild reaction from him and I admire his restraint. He isn't made of stone - just because the club gave him an opportunity doesn't mean he is obligated to just ignore the idiots in our fanbase.

Edited by GenBr

8 minutes ago, GenBr said:

He did it because he already had a lot of abuse and a lot of crap from grown adults who professed to be Derby fans on social media. Quite frankly - putting his fingers in his ears is a very mild reaction from him and I admire his restraint. He isn't made of stone - just because the club gave him an opportunity doesn't mean he is obligated to just ignore the idiots in our fanbase.

Some of the stuff on Twitter today is obscene.  I just don’t get it.