Summer 2021 Transfer Window - Suggestion Thread

Kernow

1 hour ago, TexasRam said:

Assombalonga is a proven championship level centre forward, exactly what we need. I’d take him in a heartbeat. Boro and WBA have now released players, I wonder when we will see the retained list. It’s going to be an interesting summer 

Last year ours was released June 3rd

1 hour ago, TexasRam said:

Assombalonga is a proven championship level centre forward, exactly what we need. I’d take him in a heartbeat. Boro and WBA have now released players, I wonder when we will see the retained list. It’s going to be an interesting summer 

I don’t know how many appearances were as a sub but, didn’t he score just 5 goals in 31 games last season and 16 over 66 games for the last two season combined? If so, hardly prolific.

7 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

I don’t know how many appearances were as a sub but, didn’t he score just 5 goals in 31 games last season and 16 over 66 games for the last two season combined? If so, hardly prolific.

1 in 4, similar if not slightly better than CKR and he has more years left. He’s not my 1st choice and I’d rather have a younger up and coming more prolific forward, but I’m guessing beggars can’t be choosers and if he’s free and available. 

Edited by TexasRam

42 minutes ago, DCFC1388 said:

I think that is what pretty much all clubs hope to do, but the chances are you either go for someone young from a Prem academy or you go for someone who has done it at lower levels but you're unsure will make the step up, both of which are gambles. We did the latter with Marriott and he has done well in very small spells but hardly set the league alight and will probably result in use losing money if we sell him this summer.

Who would you go for that fits the criteria you mentioned?

I think we have to take a gamble given that we can no longer compete financially with the other clubs in the league? 

Granted it didnt quite work out with marriott (although there is still a chance he could return and do well), but id still like to see us try and look for a gem rather than end up with another aging player on high wages who no one wants to sign.

Im not sure on the exact player but preferably someone under 25. 

29 minutes ago, TexasRam said:

1 in 4, similar if not slightly better than CKR and he has more years left. He’s not my 1st choice and I’d rather have a younger up and coming more prolific forward, but I’m guessing beggars can’t be choosers and if he’s free and available. 

Slightly worse than CKR last season (1 in 6.2 for BA last season compared with 1 in 4.6 for CKZ). Also, Whilst he may be younger than CKR I’m not sure I’d describe him as up and coming (he’s 28 now) and isn’t more prolific.

CKR isn’t the medium/long term solution but I’m not sure BA is either. Also, I’d imagine he’s on quite a high wage.

2 hours ago, TexasRam said:

Boro and WBA have now released players, I wonder when we will see the retained list. It’s going to be an interesting summer 

Clubs across the country seem to be releasing more 1st team squad players than usual. 

It might be a sign that they are attempting to lower wage bills. 

There could well be a glut of players on the market that will have to lower their wages expectations. 

22 minutes ago, CWC1983 said:

Clubs across the country seem to be releasing more 1st team squad players than usual. 

There could well be a glut of players on the market that will have to lower their wages expectations. 

Agree completely.  

It may take a long list of targets and probably mean missing out on quite a few as their agents seek the best possible deals, but the gravy train for players wages from most clubs in the Championship is at an end.  

He was in and around Villa's first team squad but Davis who we looked at before would be one I'd revisit.  Pace and power and should score goals in the Championship.  No guarantee but to answer an earlier question then the likes of Davis would be more preferable than Assombalonga for me although he has scored more.

Cheers 

Gangway D from the terrace  

Edited by GangwayD

56 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

Slightly worse than CKR last season (1 in 6.2 for BA last season compared with 1 in 4.6 for CKZ). Also, Whilst he may be younger than CKR I’m not sure I’d describe him as up and coming (he’s 28 now) and isn’t more prolific.

CKR isn’t the medium/long term solution but I’m not sure BA is either. Also, I’d imagine he’s on quite a high wage.

Sorry I didn’t mean he was up and coming, I’d rather have a young up and coming striker instead.  However Over the 2 years his record is better than CKR 

54 minutes ago, CWC1983 said:

Let’s hope so, some current Championship wages are completely out of sync with the revenue generated. 

3 hours ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

Colin wanted him to stay I thought bud, but on a significant wage cut? Honestly don't know about Assombalonga's character to be fair, just think he could be useful. For clarity, I didn't suggest we should take these guys only that I think they are decent in the context of the Championship and could do a job. I really don't see any of them ending up at Derby though.

Assombalonga could well be a good signing but it just feels like the typical kind of signing we've made in recent years and subsequently regretted, although it being a free transfer wouldn't be as bad. I just really want us to sign players who are going to improve, not players who are 29 and 28 with no sell on value.

I don't think for a minute many,if any, clubs find themselves in the situation we are in,we were in it before Covid took a grip

Other clubs can still afford decent wages.They are shopping at Waitrose or M&S, we are shopping at Aldi/Lidl looking at Yellow stickered bargain players who are coming up to their best before or use by dates

2 hours ago, CWC1983 said:

What kind of players though? They'll have been released for a reason. Many of them won't even get clubs for obvious reasons never mind have to worry about lowering their wage demands. 

4 hours ago, DCFC1388 said:

With how our season went last year and the lack of goals, I dont think we could really turn our nose up at a proven scorer at this level like Assombalonga. Now i'm not saying we will get him or even be in for him but to say you wouldnt want him baffles me.

I dont understand the whole I dont want players because of their past mistakes or their character, if they improve us what does it matter? Like i've said before, players make mistakes. I watched the Alex Ferguson documentary the other day, he speaks about Cantona when he signed him, class player but was a bad character, he still signed him and he was the catalyst for United being the 90s powerhouse that they became.

I can't resist...

Cantona a bad character??? The very opposite.

30 minutes ago, AutoWindscreens said:

I can't resist...

Cantona a bad character??? The very opposite.

He definitely had a reputation as a bit of a bad sort when he was playing in France. He had a habit of getting into fights with managers, team mates and club officials, and often let the red mist get to him. One story I find particularly amusing involved him getting a one month's ban for angrily throwing a ball at an official during a game. At the end of the disciplinary commission, he went up to every member of the panel individually, and called each one an "idiot". The ban was increased to two months.