Wayne Rooney

EdinRam

Freedom of Derby  

64 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Whilst we have been a basket case off the pitch Rooney is no fool and there are few clubs better for him to be at at in England 

it would be very interesting to see what he can do if he was unhindered by off field nonsense and I personally think it could be a very productive time to be a Rams supporter.

4 hours ago, RealisticRam said:

Fully agree. 

Rooney should never have got the job, should never have kept after last season. Ultimately, he's profited from a void in ownership that's allowed him to churn any result out he wants and them going unscrutinised.

With Rooney moving forward:

1) If we stay up, he deserves to stay in the job because he will have produced excellent results to have done so.

2) If we go down but with the 21 points back on, would have stayed up then I'd give him the first 10 games or so in L1 and see what he can do. 

3) If he takes us down and even with 21 on we would be bottom 3, sack him. 

Option 2 seems most likely. My issue is 75 games with 27ish percent win rate is awful. I'm not sure how much is down to the circumstances of the club, and how much is Rooney and his lack of experience and ability. 

Dont You Dare The Office GIF by hero0fwar

For what Rooney has done this season not only in terms of the results but also sticking by the club he deserves quite a bit of leeway. He should definitely remain for next season and only sacked if we're really struggling in league 1. I still think tactically there are issues and away from home we do look nailed on a relegation team tbh but the home form has been magnificent. 

12 hours ago, Leeds Ram said:

For what Rooney has done this season not only in terms of the results but also sticking by the club he deserves quite a bit of leeway. He should definitely remain for next season and only sacked if we're really struggling in league 1. I still think tactically there are issues and away from home we do look nailed on a relegation team tbh but the home form has been magnificent. 

At Luton the final pass or ball into the box was the only reason we didn't win comfortably. Tactically it was sound, the lads just couldn't quite carry it out that night.

16 minutes ago, uttoxram75 said:

At Luton the final pass or ball into the box was the only reason we didn't win comfortably. Tactically it was sound, the lads just couldn't quite carry it out that night.

we've only won twice away from home all season that is pretty much relegation form and when I have seen us away either on rams tv or live too often we haven't looked particularly good. I can't say if we looked good or bad against Luton as I didn't watch it. Like I said, I think at home we've been magnificent and Rooney has done a really great job this season but away from home I think remains an issue. 

12 hours ago, Yani P said:

We looked decent v Luton and dominated Cardiff..

I wouldn't say we dominated Cardiff. They looked comfortable in general and let us have possession. 4 of the 5 players who had the most touches of the ball for us against Cardiff came from the backline I believe. I think too often people equate % of possession with domination. A draw would have been fair but as soon as we needed to go forward more they started to cut us open. At the end of the day the away form hasn't come close to our home form. This isn't much of a critique btw I think wayne has done an excellent job this year but away from home we have struggled to pick up points. 

4 minutes ago, Leeds Ram said:

I wouldn't say we dominated Cardiff. They looked comfortable in general and let us have possession. 4 of the 5 players who had the most touches of the ball for us against Cardiff came from the backline I believe. I think too often people equate % of possession with domination. A draw would have been fair but as soon as we needed to go forward more they started to cut us open. At the end of the day the away form hasn't come close to our home form. This isn't much of a critique btw I think wayne has done an excellent job this year but away from home we have struggled to pick up points. 

See above ?

13 hours ago, Yani P said:

We looked decent v Luton and dominated Cardiff..

1 hour ago, angieram said:

Agree with this. I was at both.

Thought we were poor at Luton and can’t complain at the loss. Thought we were much better against Cardiff and should have gone home with 3 points. 

Football eh.

1 hour ago, Leeds Ram said:

I thought we looked in control against Cardiff. We looked like we had an extra man in midfield. We just were not clinical or effective in the box. I didn’t feel Cardiff were that dangerous even when they hit the bar. I would say Derby were dominant and I can’t believe they lost that match. 

30 minutes ago, TheresOnlyWanChope said:

I thought we looked in control against Cardiff. We looked like we had an extra man in midfield. We just were not clinical or effective in the box. I didn’t feel Cardiff were that dangerous even when they hit the bar. I would say Derby were dominant and I can’t believe they lost that match. 

It was a poor game with few chances. Should have got a point. At no time was I thinking we are going to score, like away at Reading for example…we were totally dominant in the second half there….

To be tactically beaten by Mowbray third time in a row doesn't sound too good. What makes it worse is that Mowbray is hardly a tactical genius himself...

Some murmurs about playing from the back in a matchday thread. I do like it how Rooney sticks with it, all the great managers have been more or less stubborn after all.

One thing Mowbray had obviously sussed by HT was that the referee was weak and likely to let them get away with pretty much anything. There were multiple infringements in the build up to both the first two goals, but the officials either didn't rate them as significant enough, or they just couldn't spot them amongst the mayhem. It was classic Warnock or Pulis - clever but very cynical - and it needed either a stronger ref or a stronger defence to counter. 

I was fully behind the team Rooney picked last night and for 45 mins it worked well. At the start of the 2nd half Mowbray brought two 6foot odd strikers on. I wonder if Wilder or Cooper would have reacted by bringing on Stearman and going for 3 centre backs ? As it was Wayne left things alone and we conceded 3 headers. It’s only Wayne’s 2nd season and he is learning on the job.