Wayne Rooney

EdinRam

Freedom of Derby  

64 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

5 hours ago, Leicester Ram said:

If the club survives I think Rooney has the potential to be the most influential Derby manager of my lifetime (I should mention I'm only 24 before you start twatting the keyboard). Even if this is his last season with us, the siege mentality he's created could have a lasting effect on the club.

I'm particularly thinking about the relationship between the club and the fans when I say this. I'll leave the tactical stuff to our resident football geniuses.

I hate Leeds and their fans as much as the next Ram but the relationship they have with their teams is almost second to none. They went to hell and back but on their way down the divisions they gained a siege mentality. They have a bravado/arrogance to their fanbase that can seem distasteful to the outside but is incredibly galvanising for the players/staff. They also don't boo them.

Pride Park is different this season, the fans still showing up are generating the best atmosphere I've been a part of and there's 10,000 less of us. If we keep that, a club the size of ours will be successful without having to chuck too much money around.

If we're getting results now with washed up free agents, academy players and 39 year old CB's, imagine what it's going to be like when we have a decent team again. The supporters getting an extra 10/20% out of the players will only get us so far and affect the table so much now but if we'd had more of that in those season's with promotion potential (13/14, 14/15, 15/16, 17/18, 18/19) maybe we wouldn't be in this mess.

I don't take what Rooney's doing this year for granted, under the leadership of a lesser man the atmosphere could be utterly toxic the way it has been in recent tough periods. No offence to a great servant to the club but imagine if Darren Wassall was in charge of this team! Rooney's got this hopeless team in a hopeless situation playing with more guts than anyone else, if he wasn't doing that we'd be gaining nothing from our fall. 

Maybe Rooney isn't a tactical mastermind but he's used what he has got to keep everyone's heads up; despite everything going on we feel like a "big club".

I'm an optimist but I'm hoping we'll look back at the Rooney years as the period in which our support went from quite good to up there with the best in the country. That's something that will attract players, get us results we don't deserve and make the experience of watching Derby simply more fun, even if we're poo.

Agree, watching the rams this season has been more enjoyable than the last few seasons, all down to the atmosphere and the teams we are not down yet mentality which is all down to rooney.

2 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

The praise Wayne Rooney is receiving is similar to that of Nigel Clough in the early years.

Steadying a ship, making us harder to beat, uniting everyone together.

We won’t know what the future holds. Nigel Clough built an excellent squad but he couldn’t coach them as well as McClaren. Could Rooney build a similar squad given the finances? Could he coach them as well as McClaren?

I’m open to the line of ‘time will tell’ but he needs to a huge wage cut to be in line with that of a League One manager. He doesn’t deserve more just because his name is Rooney.

I also have to question the praise for Rooney for sticking it out. It’s laughable.

I’m sure any first-time manager would gladly stick it out earning over £50k a week and being unsackable. If his name was Wayne Smith and he was a former PE teacher you’d say he’d hit the jackpot. But because his name is Wayne Rooney and he’s a former England and Man Utd superstar he is being looked at like he is doing us a favor. It’s ludicrous. 

Would love to know how you know what rooney is being paid, have you seen his payslip?

37 minutes ago, Kathcairns said:

Agree, watching the rams this season has been more enjoyable than the last few seasons, all down to the atmosphere and the teams we are not down yet mentality which is all down to rooney.

Just been on 5-live saying what a brilliant job Rooney is doing at DCFC under the almost impossible circumstances he is facing. ?

6 hours ago, Leicester Ram said:

If the club survives I think Rooney has the potential to be the most influential Derby manager of my lifetime (I should mention I'm only 24 before you start twatting the keyboard). Even if this is his last season with us, the siege mentality he's created could have a lasting effect on the club.

I'm particularly thinking about the relationship between the club and the fans when I say this. I'll leave the tactical stuff to our resident football geniuses.

I hate Leeds and their fans as much as the next Ram but the relationship they have with their teams is almost second to none. They went to hell and back but on their way down the divisions they gained a siege mentality. They have a bravado/arrogance to their fanbase that can seem distasteful to the outside but is incredibly galvanising for the players/staff. They also don't boo them.

Pride Park is different this season, the fans still showing up are generating the best atmosphere I've been a part of and there's 10,000 less of us. If we keep that, a club the size of ours will be successful without having to chuck too much money around.

If we're getting results now with washed up free agents, academy players and 39 year old CB's, imagine what it's going to be like when we have a decent team again. The supporters getting an extra 10/20% out of the players will only get us so far and affect the table so much now but if we'd had more of that in those season's with promotion potential (13/14, 14/15, 15/16, 17/18, 18/19) maybe we wouldn't be in this mess.

I don't take what Rooney's doing this year for granted, under the leadership of a lesser man the atmosphere could be utterly toxic the way it has been in recent tough periods. No offence to a great servant to the club but imagine if Darren Wassall was in charge of this team! Rooney's got this hopeless team in a hopeless situation playing with more guts than anyone else, if he wasn't doing that we'd be gaining nothing from our fall. 

Maybe Rooney isn't a tactical mastermind but he's used what he has got to keep everyone's heads up; despite everything going on we feel like a "big club".

I'm an optimist but I'm hoping we'll look back at the Rooney years as the period in which our support went from quite good to up there with the best in the country. That's something that will attract players, get us results we don't deserve and make the experience of watching Derby simply more fun, even if we're poo.

That made me laugh ???

Not sure where to post this but here as good as any having listened to Premier League managers like Klopp, Tuchel, etc this week. But sums up so well what Wayne putting up with compared to the Championship pararchute payment yo-yo teams also. wasnt at all keen on him being manager but wouldnt choose anyone else for us now 

6F52438A-CEE6-4AF1-84A4-EFBB4E281432.jpeg

1 hour ago, CBRammette said:

Not sure where to post this but here as good as any having listened to Premier League managers like Klopp, Tuchel, etc this week. But sums up so well what Wayne putting up with compared to the Championship pararchute payment yo-yo teams also. wasnt at all keen on him being manager but wouldnt choose anyone else for us now 

6F52438A-CEE6-4AF1-84A4-EFBB4E281432.jpeg

I am useless on the computer but could someone forward this to the bitter and twisted on the Bristol City forum.

6 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

The praise Wayne Rooney is receiving is similar to that of Nigel Clough in the early years.

Steadying a ship, making us harder to beat, uniting everyone together.

We won’t know what the future holds. Nigel Clough built an excellent squad but he couldn’t coach them as well as McClaren. Could Rooney build a similar squad given the finances? Could he coach them as well as McClaren?

I’m open to the line of ‘time will tell’ but he needs to a huge wage cut to be in line with that of a League One manager. He doesn’t deserve more just because his name is Rooney.

I also have to question the praise for Rooney for sticking it out. It’s laughable.

I’m sure any first-time manager would gladly stick it out earning over £50k a week and being unsackable. If his name was Wayne Smith and he was a former PE teacher you’d say he’d hit the jackpot. But because his name is Wayne Rooney and he’s a former England and Man Utd superstar he is being looked at like he is doing us a favor. It’s ludicrous. 

Being the fount of all knowledge, can you please inform the rest of us how you know how much our manager earns?

4 hours ago, Kathcairns said:

Would love to know how you know what rooney is being paid, have you seen his payslip?

Rooneys salary has been stated in the national press.

It's possible to say the quoted salary isn't the real salary, but then Derby or Rooney could sue the press for libel, for having published a salary that's not true.

I doubt Rooney would want to look bad by being linked to a high salary, if it wasn't true.

Rooney is recorded as having over 50 million in personal wealth, so I'm not sure his salary is the key factor for him managing Derby.

In fact I'm not sure what is motivating Derby him to stay at Derby, given that some fans want to criticise his performances and he could probably have an easier life at another club.

I'm a fan who supports Rooney because of his commitment to the club, and because in my opinion he's achieved a lot with his hands tied in terms of who he can bring in to improve the team.

I'm thinking that with a quality team, things could be a lot different.

The argument about a high salary making any job tolerable simply isn't true for most people. Rooney may of course have the mental strength to deal with stress regardless, but his past record of blotting his copybook suggests that that isn't likely. There has to be other factors that make a stressful job tolerable - money alone isn't enough IMHO. 

I'd suggest that if he is serious about a career in football management he has to be seen as not being a quitter, particularly in his first job. Hence he is doing the right thing and working hard to manage within the constraints he has. Good attitude to take in my opinion, in this day and age of over entitled, over paid managers in football.

24 minutes ago, Crewton said:

The argument about a high salary making any job tolerable simply isn't true for most people. Rooney may of course have the mental strength to deal with stress regardless, but his past record of blotting his copybook suggests that that isn't likely. There has to be other factors that make a stressful job tolerable - money alone isn't enough IMHO. 

Worth noting that he's apparently worth over £120 million, so I'd also wager that his current salary is hardly his prime motivation. Odd that the usual suspects are so keen to use that as another stick with which to beat him.

1 hour ago, Oldben said:

It's possible to say the quoted salary isn't the real salary, but then Derby or Rooney could sue the press for libel, for having published a salary that's not true.

I doubt Rooney would want to look bad by being linked to a high salary, if it wasn't true.

Rooney is recorded as having over 50 million in personal wealth, so I'm not sure his salary is the key factor for him managing Derby.

In fact I'm not sure what is motivating Derby him to stay at Derby, given that some fans want to criticise his performances and he could probably have an easier life at another club.

I'm a fan who supports Rooney because of his commitment to the club, and because in my opinion he's achieved a lot with his hands tied in terms of who he can bring in to improve the team.

Think rooneys had enough of court cases with colleens still not sorted. Regards his wages i never believe  paper talk, but agree with you about the great job he is doing, just hope we can keep hol of him.

7 hours ago, Kathcairns said:

I've also enjoyed the atmosphere and the back to the wall mentality of both the team and the crowds...it's been excellent and partially attributable to Rooney,no doubt and it's carrying us through this period.

However,I'm not confusing that with the fact that we haven't seen great football being played all season,it's been pretty hard to watch for the majority of it especially in terms of attacking play.

Im hoping that the deal goes through soon so that Wayne gets his chance to get some more players in and then we can judge him without excuse.

Edited by kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong

2 hours ago, Oldben said:

Ive never seen his salary stated, what is it?

10 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

How much do you reckon Lampard was on, do the accounts exist/tell us? Or Cocu?

Cocu was reported in The Mail to be on circa what Rooney is currently earning. Allegedly.

Lampard would have been on nowhere near that figure as allegedly Morris was going to offer him an increased wage of £2.5 million p/a if he didn't go to Chelsea which is about 50k per week.