Wayne Rooney

EdinRam

Freedom of Derby  

64 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

44 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

How many managers are there in charge of clubs in the football pyramid then on top of that how many managers out of work.

So not one of those vast numbers just in the English League alone would be able to do a better job that Rooney. 

Not sure what was remotely ridiculous about that statement, answers on a postcard please. 

20 hours ago, IslandExile said:

Do I think Rooney is a tactical genius?

No, but he's learning and has improved over last year.

Do I think he's getting the best out of the players available?

Mostly yes. Sibley and Jozwiak are possible exceptions but there may be other reasons for that. All players appear very motivated despite the club's position.

Has Rooney had long enough to prove his credentials?

It's not the time so much as the circumstances. These are exceptional times and it's nigh on impossible to judge.

Could another manager do better with the club in its current plight?

Maybe. We will never know. Without a goalscorer and with a 21 point deduction, it's hard to see anyone doing "well enough" (also note what's happened to many people's oft touted candidates: Hughton, Cook and Jokanovic).

So what's so good about Rooney?

The way he has conducted himself throughout this whole sorry process. By all accounts his approach to the players and staff has been empathetic, considerate and thoughtful. He has surprised me with - for the want of a better word - his "class". He thoroughly deserves our support.

Let's judge his football management when (if) the club is ever stabilized. Once he has truly been able to assemble his squad and started playing his preferred tactics rather than those dictated to him by squad availability and the quest for survival.

Come on Derby. Come on Rooney ?

What he said. 

47 minutes ago, kevinhectoring said:

Just read the comments from Wayne about Curtis (36 years old) and Jags (39) playing higher up the pitch. Just don’t get it. It has goal ‘from counter attack’ and ‘ forward running in behind’ written all over it.  Like Liverpool playing a high line without Virgil vD. Clean sheets is what we need if we are to perform this miracle and we can deliver them if we give our star defenders a chance 

WR has read the Stanley Mathews book of coaching, As SM didn't retire until he was 50 years old, WR expects our young centre backs of 36 and 39 years of age to develope into attacking defenders.

Hypothetically, who do you think Rooney will take with him to Everton now that his preferred CK bid has evaporated and he might yet be tempted to Goodison.

Bird, Beilik, Buchanan, Festy but with a loan back and Knight?

He’s never fancied Sibley but who else of the kids would he be looking at.

13 minutes ago, 24Charlie said:

Hypothetically, who do you think Rooney will take with him to Everton now that his preferred CK bid has evaporated and he might yet be tempted to Goodison.

Bird, Beilik, Buchanan, Festy but with a loan back and Knight?

He’s never fancied Sibley but who else of the kids would he be looking at.

No-one really knows if CK was Rooney's preferred bidder : he said himself "he's the only one I've met and know about". If he really has been in regular contact with the Administrators, he would surely have picked up that they can't afford to favour anyone other than the one most likely to return maximum funds to the Creditors.

I also doubt that Everton will take such a major risk on an untried manager. Besides, does he even have the requisite coaching qualifications for the PL? 

2 minutes ago, Crewton said:

No-one really knows if CK was Rooney's preferred bidder : he said himself "he's the only one I've met and know about". If he really has been in regular contact with the Administrators, he would surely have picked up that they can't afford to favour anyone other than the one most likely to return maximum funds to the Creditors.

I also doubt that Everton will take such a major risk on an untried manager. Besides, does he even have the requisite coaching qualifications for the PL? 

I said hypothetically. 

1 hour ago, Coconut's Beard said:

1st time in a long time he's reacted to what's going on on the pitch and made alterations / corrections that positively affected the flow of the game.

It's a good sign of progress, and long may it continue 

Yes this is where he’s struggled. 

A few people have recently pointed out, the harder things are the better he does. There’s definitely some truth in this.

For me it’s because he’s tried enforce his plan on a squad that isn’t built for it due to the situation we are in. A lot of managers in this division have to be adaptable, because they cannot fund their vision.

With the problems we’ve faced recently he’s been forced to put round pegs in round hole and playing to the strengths of the player available.

The dropping of Morrison and some of the tactics that went with his selection was a good stepping stone. And in the last few games, he’s had to adapt and done a decent job of it.

If we we’re a Prem/parachute money Champ team, then he could have been more rigid in his vision, but when you’re potless, like half the teams in this division, you have to be adaptable and play to the strengths of/utilise your limited resources.

Edited by Ramarena

2 hours ago, Coconut's Beard said:

1st time in a long time he's reacted to what's going on on the pitch and made alterations / corrections that positively affected the flow of the game.

It's a good sign of progress, and long may it continue 

Grudging praise personified ? 

Don't worry, we'll still be relegated, and then you tell us all how any other manager could have done better. 

4 minutes ago, Crewton said:

Grudging praise personified ? 

Don't worry, we'll still be relegated, and then you tell us all how any other manager could have done better. 

We will never know. There are some managers doing quite well at other clubs, the chappie down the road for one, guy at Blackburn doing ok too ??