Lee Buchanan - Gone to Werder Bremen

Sean

7 minutes ago, angieram said:

Okay, I like Lee Buchanan and think he's a useful footballer. I have no problem with him wanting to better himself at a bigger club.

However, he has been with Derby County since 2010. That's 12 years of us training him, feeding him, educating him and helping him generally to develop to where he is in now in the game. We protected him from the limelight after Joinersgate, when he was injured for several months. 

He has cost us a lot of money, not just in wages.

He is still a young man and might have a very bright future ahead of him, not least due to the investment received from Derby County.

For his agents not to recognise this and to use a legal technicality to try and wriggle out of the industry wide compensation clause for academy investment is very disappointing,  in my opinion. 

Well put. I'd forgotten about the Joinersgate rumours. That makes him look particularly ungrateful. 

48 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

We weren’t liquidated either just a new owner which happens all the time in football 

Oh yeah, new owner buys with a £35m write off. It happens all the time in football.

In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.

He's got lots of potential, but not a huge loss for us right now. Good in the air and often looked dangerous going forward, but switched off too often in defence and let players get in behind him. Would get caught ball-watching too often when defending crosses, and they'll be plenty of those in League One next year! 

As many have said already, he couldn't even nail down a regular starting slot with us, so not gonna be grieving him departing and any money received right now is a bonus. That £400k could easily cover the wages for a decent player bought in on a free. 

3 minutes ago, Crewton said:

It happened at Forest only 5 years ago. And 5 years before that.

You know that to be utter garbage don’t you. Forest have not been in administration in the last 20 years to my knowledge. If an owner sells at an undervalue to his shareholding that is completely different to imposing an administrative deduction on tax authorities and suppliers. 

9 minutes ago, i-Ram said:

You know that to be utter garbage don’t you. Forest have not been in administration in the last 20 years to my knowledge. If an owner sells at an undervalue to his shareholding that is completely different to imposing an administrative deduction on tax authorities and suppliers. 

You said

17 minutes ago, Crewton said:

Oh yeah, new owner buys with a £35m write off. It happens all the time in football.

I merely pointed out that that statement wasn't true. I didn't use any context.

You, I'm sure, also know that write-offs of loans can be set against profits to reduce tax due by the seller. You also don't know that the amount 'written off' by HMRC and unsecured creditors is in the order of £35M, because the figure hasn't been made public. In his regular podcast the other day, I'm told that @The Baronreckoned that Clowes paid something between £60-65M, which (if the stadium was £22M and Football creditors £8M) means he may have paid as much as £30-35M to HMRC and unsecured creditors. On that basis, wouldn't it be wiser to wait for some confirmation before going off on one?

I understand people getting frustrated over this, but you have to understand that there is absolutely no loyalty in football. Players only have a responsibility to themselves to earn as much as they can. If they have to exploit loopholes and screw over their current club, they will without the slightest hesitation. I don't particularly like this, but it's the truth. Remember it next time some player is kissing the badge or mouthing pointless hollow platitudes about the club in an interview. They don't care about the club and they don't care about you.

5 minutes ago, Anon said:

I understand people getting frustrated over this, but you have to understand that there is absolutely no loyalty in football. Players only have a responsibility to themselves to earn as much as they can. 

I'm not sure this is true of all footballers. Obviously they have a short career and need to look out for their interests, but that doesn't mean loyalty to a club or teammates or fans isn't some sort of factor, some of the time. I've certainly felt loyality to employers and colleagues and I'm not a professional footballer! 

And even if it is true of some footballers, maybe they should expect some criticism if it makes them do something like this. 

I think I'm pretty realistic about these things, and have no problem with players running down contracts or choosing to leave for a better deal somewhere else when their contract is done. 

This though feels like exploiting a loophole in a way which unfairly penalises the club. It is to all intents and purposes the same club that employed Buchanan last year, and has nurtured him and paid for his development as a youngster. 

26 minutes ago, Crewton said:

You said

I merely pointed out that that statement wasn't true. I didn't use any context.

You, I'm sure, also know that write-offs of loans can be set against profits to reduce tax due by the seller. You also don't know that the amount 'written off' by HMRC and unsecured creditors is in the order of £35M, because the figure hasn't been made public. In his regular podcast the other day, I'm told that @The Baronreckoned that Clowes paid something between £60-65M, which (if the stadium was £22M and Football creditors £8M) means he may have paid as much as £30-35M to HMRC and unsecured creditors. On that basis, wouldn't it be wiser to wait for some confirmation before going off on one?

Frankly, no. I reserve the right to post as much drivel as anyone else on this thread.

13 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

TUPE only applies if contracts are transfered from 'THE DERBY COUNTY FOOTBALL CLUB LIMITED' to another company. This is not the case.

The ownership of 'The Club' is transferring, so TUPE does not apply.

Think you are wrong but there we go (not on here to continue this back and forth). 

Look at Kieran Maguire's twitter about the new company and his comments about the company only buying the assets from admins and not the liabilities

2 minutes ago, GrimsbyRam said:

Think you are wrong but there we go (not on here to continue this back and forth). 

Look at Kieran Maguire's twitter about the new company and his comments about the company only buying the assets from admins and not the liabilities

does not counts for football assets, otherwise we wouldn't have to carry on paying Arsenal for Bielek.

55 minutes ago, Anon said:

I understand people getting frustrated over this, but you have to understand that there is absolutely no loyalty in football. Players only have a responsibility to themselves to earn as much as they can. If they have to exploit loopholes and screw over their current club, they will without the slightest hesitation. I don't particularly like this, but it's the truth. Remember it next time some player is kissing the badge or mouthing pointless hollow platitudes about the club in an interview. They don't care about the club and they don't care about you.

Curtis Davies wants a word

I am ok with Buchanan moving on for a fee. 

The efl have stated that they back Derby, in terms of getting a fee.

The only issue will be what the fee is.

Id like to see several million, but I think that's unlikely.

According to Alan Nixon, the English side are expected to generate around £400,000 for his services, a way smaller fee than that £15m valuation.

I've heard that the fee might be 400k, that seems unfair because Derby are never signing a good enough replacement for Buchanan for 400k.

3 minutes ago, Rammy03 said:

Curtis Davies wants a word

I do appreciate what Davies has offered, but do you really believe he'd be showing the same loyalty if he weren't winding down his playing career? Davies is still here because it suits him, he doesn't need to be moving his family, and he may be offered a route into coaching/management by the club. If Davies were the same age as Buchanan, I'd wager he'd be making similar decisions to him.

33 minutes ago, Oldben said:

I am ok with Buchanan moving on for a fee. 

The efl have stated that they back Derby, in terms of getting a fee.

The only issue will be what the fee is.

Id like to see several million, but I think that's unlikely.

According to Alan Nixon, the English side are expected to generate around £400,000 for his services, a way smaller fee than that £15m valuation.

I've heard that the fee might be 400k, that seems unfair because Derby are never signing a good enough replacement for Buchanan for 400k.

No he didn't 

Lee Buchanan has left the Sheep for £400k to Werder Bremen.
Funnily enough they rejectewd £1.5m bid from Forest last summer.
Buchanan found a clause in his contract that included a release fee of £400k.
Great business Direby!
Contract Lawyers to go on Ze List?