Melvyn Morris fan club

On 02/05/2021 at 17:45, MrPlinkett said:

What do we protest against ?

I don't disagree Mel has made a right horlicks of things in his time at Derby but what do we protest about ? his lack of spending ? no because if anything that's one of the issues,  it's not mels fault the EFL p&s rules aren't fit for purpose and hes just not allowed to spend what maybe I  the past other owners have to achieve success. 

"What do we want?"

"Good decision-making and a coherent vision for the club leading to long term sustainability and success both on and off on the pitch!"

"When do we want it?"

"NOW!"

10 minutes ago, oldtimeram said:

The question is, would Mel want to be in his own fan club?

I doubt it. Presumably he would want to have done better. Or does he?!

I guess that it depends upon whether he is a member of the worst-self-critic club (succeeding through a drive to continually improve); or if he's a member of the I'm-perfect club (succeeding through impervious self-belief).

Edited by Ken Tram

The fish rots from the head.

I've skim read some of the comments on here about Morris being let down by his senior management team but that's down to poor judgement on his behalf and the accountability stops with him again.

All of the waffling about fiduciary mismanagement just seems like sour grapes and a smokescreen to deflect attention from the root cause and the fact that he lost the unfair dismissal claim just serves to further embarrass and humiliate the guy. 

And all of the plaudits of the club being owned by a local fan please, I'd rather have a Forest fan as the next owner if that was the outcome we've realised over the course of his ownership. 

1 hour ago, Ken Tram said:

This post is a bit sycophantic, and I'm sorry if I wind up lots of good people who are so upset and angry, but I have to admit that I am happy to be in the fan club!

That doesn't mean that I do but wish that things had gone differently.

Firstly, no one knows where we would be if someone else had been in charge! I know that's not a ringing endorsement, but we do tend to forget that things could have been worse.

Many detractors say, "If only Mel had taken different decisions," but this is the same as saying, "If only we had a local fans, with loads of money, who had made some different decisions." But, I'm not sure that there is a local fan with loads of money who would have made different decisions.

We have a football structure, where people can buy football clubs. That's the issue! If you don't like what a man has done with the best of intentions - then don't moan at him - direct your ire towards getting rid of the ownership structure.

But, is there an alternative. Germany do something that I don't fully understand. When I asked if 30,000 fans could find £2,000 each, to raise £60 million; lots of flaws were found; not least the fact that the club doesn't balance it's books; and would continually need more money. And how would this great ownership democracy work? An individual would be appointed to take charge. And they would do things that the mukti-owners would not like. So it might not be any different. Maybe fans could be on the board, but what if they made unpopular decisions.

In terms of Mel, my message is: thanks for doing your best. It is brilliant that you had the balls to have a go. Don't worry about perceived mistakes. No-one's perfect. Like you, we're all hurting, but Derby'll be alright. By definition, the club cannot always be moving upwards under every tenure, otherwise we would have been European Champions for the past 100 years! And if this was the time for us to be in a downward slope, then you probably prevented things being worse. And I've enjoyed quite a few seasons where we have won more than we have lost, and the positive feeling on a Monday morning. Don't forget the positive chants that used to call out your name.

I don’t quite follow your logic with this statement:

Many detractors say, "If only Mel had taken different decisions," but this is the same as saying, "If only we had a local fans, with loads of money, who had made some different decisions." But, I'm not sure that there is a local fan with loads of money who would have made different decisions.

Aren’t the detractors just saying they wish he’d shown something similar to the sound financial decision making he must adopt in his business dealings given what a successful business man he is? I say “similar” because I know running a football club isn’t the same as running a business but he appears to have allowed the club descend to a perilous position (even before Covid). Being a local fan is a nice bonus but certainly not essential.

I’m grateful to Mel for his passion for the club and desire to get us into the premier league but he would seem to have made mistakes and for this has rightly been criticised (or moaned at as you say) but, you can’t just say “oh well he tried his best and had the best of intentions so it’s all OK”. You’re right, we all make mistakes but we have to be accountable for them.

The big caveat to the above is that none of us really know what’s gone on (hence your use of the word “perceived I guess).

5 hours ago, i-Ram said:

Got a pretty handy midfielder on loan for six months from Bristol too.

?And I would never have developed an irrational hatred for someone I'll never meet if it wasn't for young mel..I can forgive most his mistakes,not that one though

If you can’t run a football club you profess to love successfully the chances of running a business for somebody else successfully are remote in my my book but think what you like, your opinion of my intelligence levels or anything else come to that are of no interest to me.

Try somebody else to troll.

6 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

You wouldn't have someone who has made a reported £500m for himself running a business on your behalf?

Youre either very very clever or very very stupid.

Morris was Chairman and an angel investor in King wasn’t he? Not sure he was driving that vehicle, like he has been at Derby.

7 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

You wouldn't have someone who has made a reported £500m for himself running a business on your behalf?

Youre either very very clever or very very stupid.

If you were looking purely at how he has run Derby County you would be mad to have him run any of your businesses. However looking at everything prior to this you would be mad if you didn't want him running one of your businesses. If it was some kind of tech/web based company he is probably one of the first people you'd go to.

2 minutes ago, i-Ram said:

Morris was Chairman and an angel investor in King wasn’t he? Not sure he was driving that vehicle, like he has been at Derby.

He made £100 million prior to that with his dating site though did he not? 

5 minutes ago, i-Ram said:

He had a dating company before that and that did quite well too. If I’d paid for a date with the love of my life and I ended up with a right minger he could easily wind the company up. Not so easy with a football club.

2 minutes ago, i-Ram said:

Dating business. As @GenBrsays he probably should have stuck at what he was good at.

Im sure he wishes he had done.

Dont think anyone buys a football club with the intention of making money and it going tits up.

I can guarantee that alot of the people who, in hindsight, are slating him for throwing his money into the club will be calling for whoever the next owner is to do exactly the same.

3 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Im sure he wishes he had done.

Dont think anyone buys a football club with the intention of making money and it going tits up.

I can guarantee that alot of the people who, in hindsight, are slating him for throwing his money into the club will be calling for whoever the next owner is to do exactly the same.

Yep.

And when that owner (like say, the Yanks) says no can do look for cheaper options, then we fans will live with it!