Melvyn Morris fan club

1 hour ago, angieram said:

Yani, I removed about two dozen last night and at least the same again today. 

There remain lots of posts that are critical of the manager, not necessarily containing personal abuse.

As @GboroRam says, it helps if you report something that you see that contravenes the rules. We can't read every post on here, try as we might.  And we have lives too! 

I see this has become a house of LIES too. 

59 minutes ago, IslandExile said:

Agreed.

But, just for my benefit, please remind me when was Roy McFarland's spell on the board?

And, if we take them literally at their word, isn't Mac's role to advise the board on football matters?

Well to my knowledge, Roy McFarland is or was only ever a non-executive director - so how much input would he have on day to day matters at the club?

As for McClaren, well, his role is a bit shrouded in mystery, isn’t it? Does anyone know his remit, how much input he has, and his level of responsibility?

In any case, the move had very much the scent of too little, too late.

1 hour ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

What cult? Could you perhaps cite a few posts where people are shouting you down and denying you the right of reply, as there are none on this thread? 

I didn't say anyone was shouting me down ?

In fact it's the total opposite the silence is deafening which was my point 

1 minute ago, Ramos said:

Hahaha id bolded the end bit of your quote where that joke was aimed at  (or at least I tried to!) 

Sorry, I still don't understand what you're trying to say. Who do you think is lying?

16 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

I didn't say anyone was shouting me down ?

In fact it's the total opposite the silence is deafening which was my point 

So you dare not voice an opinion because nobody is saying anything?!? You do realise that makes no sense at all, especially when you bring genocidal regimes into the mix...

Anyway, I'm massively relieved that you are not in imminent danger of being shot in the head by you own offspring and dumped in a mass grave. Phew! ?

2 minutes ago, angieram said:

Sorry, I still don't understand what you're trying to say. Who do you think is lying?

You said ‘we have lives’ I was just making a jovial jib that that was made up! 

3 hours ago, GboroRam said:

Protesting what though? 

Mel's ownership? He's desperate to sell and on two occasions got involved in a sale deal with individuals who didn't deliver, and people are questioning the third. I don't know what more he could do. 

The manager? Fair enough in my opinion, but last game of the season is perhaps not a good time to start it. 

The team? You want them to be better players? 

It's a tragedy all round. All we can do is try to be positive and hope for the best. But we go into the last game needing crap teams to be more or equally crap as we are. 

I am certainly not advocating a protest, but to answer your question 'Protesting what though?'

How about pursuing financial policies that have put the very existence of the club at risk, would be a place to start? 

Regardless of Mel's intentions and the amount of money he put in the fact of the matter is that he might well leave us as a League One club.

As the owner the buck stops with him. Even if we somehow stay up the fact relegation was a genuine possibility is completely unacceptable. 

Botched takeovers, unpaid wages, high turnover of managers (although that's somewhat unfair but perception =reality), multiple playoff failures and irresponsible spending will be his legacy. 

Edited by JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta

I have no gripe with Mel, obviously things haven't gone to plan and this last 2 seasons it has fallen apart. Who is to say any other owner would have faired any better in his tenure. We've certainly had a few good seasons with him at the helm and a lot of upheaval ,skulduggery , managers along the way.

I have no reason to believe Mel had didn't havethe best intrest of the club and for the most of his tenure poured significant personnel funds to pursue success .We can all criticse ,bad signings bad managers in hindsight but most on hear were raving Rooneys arrival as a player ,Rooney as Manager.And I  Can't remember many moaning about any of the numerous players being bought during the last 5 years.Were a fickle lot but Mel is a ram ,he did his best didn't work out but I take my hat off to him for having a go.

I respect any person investing as much money into the club as Mel Morris. He is a good man, a family man and he has always given it his best. My main concern has always been the lack of leadership behinds the scenes to run the club with stability. No matter how much you invest or the integrity of the individual, you have to make sure the club doesn't run into financial problems and as much as it is sad to say, Mel has driven the club into a difficult financial hole.  There's nothing personal about that. It's the fact of the matter. 

If he had a better team of people around him running the club, I don't think we'd have been in this much of a mess. He is a very successful investor, it hasn't been a successful tenure as the chairman. Regardless of managerial appointments, player recruitment, the books must be balanced. And the club clearly are having problems. Even without COVID the club would still be in alot of trouble. I don't care if you're a local or foreign, manage the finances of the club well. Has he does this? No.

Edited by SouthStandDan

18 hours ago, bimmerman said:

Been a fun ride though hasn't it..

The newcastle stuff,the pe teacher,the wassall bit,the pearson/powell/mclaren bit,the snake,the lampard bounce,the barcelona midfielder as manager,and ROOOOONEY 

Plus we loaned a real madrid player,a couple of liverpool/man I/chelsea players

Got a pretty handy midfielder on loan for six months from Bristol too.

It hasn’t all been a waste of money and effort for Mel either. When he has his feet up in the La-Z-boy over the forthcoming years, he can look at his mantelpiece with the two framed pictures of him together with the scarf draped Butterfield and Johnson and think how lucky he was to spend some fleeting moments with them in the glaze of the flashbulbs. 

I really liked his vision for the club, what he tried to do at times and he did often listen to the supporters. He did do a lot of good, including the academy, which will be remembered by some. However, he has been looking to sell for a while now, which is apparent, so a lot of his decision makings have been to raise the profile of the club to get a sale -- not to sustainably improve the football club. 

He hasn't given us his full attention this year and in January he was more worried about spending more money on the club than he was about the ramifications of not spending that money. We can see that a full window of loan players was far from sufficient as we go down as not only the lowest scoring team in the division, but one of the lowest scoring teams in Championship history. 

The decisions he has made, personally, have led us to this point. This is all in hindsight, of course, and I respect that, but my opinion is that he's very much checked out this season which has led to instability off the field which has impacted performances and the mood on the field. The argument of having a fan or fans own the club is usually centered about not being left in a position we are currently in. If I didn't know any better I would swear it's because he's just lost interest in his toy and now wants rid to anyone with the cash flow to buy it - regardless of the ramifications further on down the line. 

The legacy of Mel Morris' ownership of the club doesn't just stop at the point he sells the club, in my opinion, because as a fan he doesn't have that luxury - whoever he sells the club to will also be a part of his legacy as it was HIM who decided this guy is who I want to own the club I support for the foreseeable future. If he's selling for the right reasons, to the right people, great. If he's selling to get rid, to the wrong people, which I suspect then far from great. 

This post is a bit sycophantic, and I'm sorry if I wind up lots of good people who are so upset and angry, but I have to admit that I am happy to be in the fan club!

That doesn't mean that I do but wish that things had gone differently.

Firstly, no one knows where we would be if someone else had been in charge! I know that's not a ringing endorsement, but we do tend to forget that things could have been worse.

Many detractors say, "If only Mel had taken different decisions," but this is the same as saying, "If only we had a local fans, with loads of money, who had made some different decisions." But, I'm not sure that there is a local fan with loads of money who would have made different decisions.

We have a football structure, where people can buy football clubs. That's the issue! If you don't like what a man has done with the best of intentions - then don't moan at him - direct your ire towards getting rid of the ownership structure.

But, is there an alternative. Germany do something that I don't fully understand. When I asked if 30,000 fans could find £2,000 each, to raise £60 million; lots of flaws were found; not least the fact that the club doesn't balance it's books; and would continually need more money. And how would this great ownership democracy work? An individual would be appointed to take charge. And they would do things that the mukti-owners would not like. So it might not be any different. Maybe fans could be on the board, but what if they made unpopular decisions.

In terms of Mel, my message is: thanks for doing your best. It is brilliant that you had the balls to have a go. Don't worry about perceived mistakes. No-one's perfect. Like you, we're all hurting, but Derby'll be alright. By definition, the club cannot always be moving upwards under every tenure, otherwise we would have been European Champions for the past 100 years! And if this was the time for us to be in a downward slope, then you probably prevented things being worse. And I've enjoyed quite a few seasons where we have won more than we have lost, and the positive feeling on a Monday morning. Don't forget the positive chants that used to call out your name.

2 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

What I meant to say but didn’t articulate it very well is, I’m sure I’ve seen plenty of criticism that hasn’t been deleted.

Sirry for picking up on it! I couldn't help myself. I understand what you meant! 

Edited by Ken Tram