v Luton (h) Matchday Thread

Parsnip

3 minutes ago, ck- said:

Well it’s on the same basis that read rhymes with lead and read rhymes with lead, but read doesn't rhyme with lead and read doesn't rhyme with lead.

Why do foreigners seem to be able a second language like English when it is full of traps like these?

• Replies 539
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Millenniumram said:

Very true, it was an inept display by all the officials. How that Luton player wasn’t sent off I’ll never know...

Fair comment but very relieved they did not award a pen for the alleged Sibley hand ball. Only saw one replay but looked like we were let off.
Felt they had the best of the chances in the first half - though we had the better of the half - and we were fortunate they did not take them. Some will say Marshall was lucky but it’s true that in those situations you make your own luck. 
Think we’ll survive but boy are we a work in progress. Hard to see how Menghi and Edmundson are not playing but given where we are in the season I think Rooney should now stick with today’s personnel/ system as far as injuries permit. The tinkerman has left it too late to find his best team. 
So good to see Sibley expressing himself. Linked very well w Byrne and we don’t have many links 

2 hours ago, DazzaRam said:

He has his critics but was really good to have Lawrence back. Hes still the best player of his type at the club. We needed that and everything looks different. Win at Reading and we can all start getting our Vaccine Passports sorted nice and relaxed. 

Other teams worry about Lawrence. He draws defenders and makes space elsewhere on the pitch. It's why you can't just measure his contribution in goals and assists. I'm really glad he's back, and I've never understood why a lot of fans don't value him. 

10 minutes ago, vonwright said:

Other teams worry about Lawrence. He draws defenders and makes space elsewhere on the pitch. It's why you can't just measure his contribution in goals and assists. I'm really glad he's back, and I've never understood why a lot of fans don't value him. 

I think fans do generally value him but get annoyed with the inconsistency. He looked good today and really provides an outlet upfront who upsets the opposition. Was good to see him start

32 minutes ago, vonwright said:

Great points there, some Derby fans find him frustrating but he does scare the opposition and can win a game out of nothing. I've probably moaned about him in the past but he's as good as you'll get in the Championship and could possibly scrape a living in the Prem.

5 minutes ago, uttoxram75 said:

Great points there, some Derby fans find him frustrating but he does scare the opposition and can win a game out of nothing. I've probably moaned about him in the past but he's as good as you'll get in the Championship and could possibly scrape a living in the Prem.

I've been critical of him in the past, mainly I think because he has the potential to do so much but is so inconsistent with it. I did say on another thread recently that I'm really keen to see Lawrence back fit under Rooney.  He could be the difference. 

54 minutes ago, kevinhectoring said:

Fair comment but very relieved they did not award a pen for the alleged Sibley hand ball. Only saw one replay but looked like we were let off.
Felt they had the best of the chances in the first half - though we had the better of the half - and we were fortunate they did not take them. Some will say Marshall was lucky but it’s true that in those situations you make your own luck. 
Think we’ll survive but boy are we a work in progress. Hard to see how Menghi and Edmundson are not playing but given where we are in the season I think Rooney should now stick with today’s personnel/ system as far as injuries permit. The tinkerman has left it too late to find his best team. 
So good to see Sibley expressing himself. Linked very well w Byrne and we don’t have many links 

Very true, that one did look a bit dubious. Officials were just inept all round - was the same for both teams to be fair, so guess it evens itself out over the game.

Not sure I’d go as far as saying Luton had the best of the chances, but they certainly did enough to get a goal - that save from Marshall was spectacular and contributed massively towards us getting the win. Even though it’s a cliché, it really was as good as a goal the other end.

Agree on the quality of the squad though, at Championship level it’s piss weak and there’s no wonder why we are where we are. Need to massively improve things in the summer if we want to be fighting at the right end of the table next season, should we survive this campaign. On keeping things consistent with personnel and style, I think that ship has sailed today with the injuries we picked up - we don’t have enough options up front to play the system we started with today anymore. FWIW I like both Edmundson and Mengi, particularly the latter for his quality on the ball, and I don’t think Wisdom did himself many favours in terms of keeping them out with his performance today. Perhaps the necessity to switch formation will allow them to return to the side, potentially by going back to a 3 at the back?

I Was pleased to see Sibley given the freedom to do what he does best going forward today too. Thought he did ok out on that right side - he put some excellent quality balls into the box, but I still feel he could do better with his decision making at times. Sometimes he runs into traffic when he’s got no chance of getting through.

Great 3 points ,,, 2 more wins and we stay up , new puppy in the house so was only half watching but volume on full and from the little I saw we played with intent and defended decent when needed , would kill for a win at reading

I was thinking whilst watching the game how different people’s opinion of the game would’ve been different had there been a crowd at the game?? I think the last 15 minutes of both halves would’ve been been very tense, with plenty of moaning that we were sat too deep, or we weren’t getting stuck in. But to sit at home and hear a minimal amount of shouting from the team and the bench showed you that they never really looking like scoring, especially in the second half. Yet Radio Derby with a few groans in the background would’ve made it unbearable... Funny when you’re at a game you see things in a different context

7 hours ago, CBRammette said:

I think fans do generally value him but get annoyed with the inconsistency. He looked good today and really provides an outlet upfront who upsets the opposition. Was good to see him start

yeah great to see tom start today bit i feel if tom was consistent he'd be playing in the prem

I think yesterday was one of those days when we got away with a slightly sloppy defensive display against a poor Luton side. 

We gave them a few opportunities both in the air and on the ground by not getting close enough to our men.

Shame Gregory got injured. He knits things together more effectively than CKR and is lethal from two yards!

As others have said, Lawrence and Sibley do enough to worry defenders. Hopefully they will create enough opportunities to keep us up.

Once again Jozwiak had a one on one which fizzled out due to his lack of belief. How can he look good against England and average against Luton?

Good performance, a well deserved win and much needed. Should give us confidence now that we will get the results we need. 

Lots of questioning of Rooney, his handling of players, and tactics in recent weeks. I think yesterday the difference was intent from the players. They were aggressive in the tackle, they played forward and look at how we were transformed. Sibley proved again he can play wide and put in an excellent performance for the 60 mins he was on (daft yellow card aside). It proves that he wasn’t playing well enough before to cement a place in the team, not that Rooney has an aversion to creative players and was ruining him. I hope he goes on from here and makes himself undroppable. He’s a great talent. 

Pleased to see Lawrence back. Delighted for Max Bird thought he had a good game yesterday and was also pleased with Joz when he came on. Gutted for Waggy and Gregory as both had their best games of the season until they went off. Shame as I really liked the balance of the team yesterday. We’ll have to go one up with Kazim if they’re out. 

The players have not been absolved of criticism but IMO the management have been taking too much of the blame in recent weeks. The players needed to step up and they did. Let’s hope it continues.

8 minutes ago, Anag Ram said:

I think yesterday was one of those days when we got away with a slightly sloppy defensive display against a poor Luton side.

I think Clarke seems to escape a lot of criticism on this front - Look at their best chances yesterday, got underneath the ball for Adebayo's first chance, got way too to Adebayo on half way for his second chance, made a right tit of himself there. Got nowhere near Glen Rea for his chance. Clarke does this quite a lot... Other thing, we've got to be better at closing down the crosses, that Rea chance was ridiculous, switch on FFS.

34 minutes ago, ShoreRam said:

I think Clarke seems to escape a lot of criticism on this front - Look at their best chances yesterday, got underneath the ball for Adebayo's first chance, got way too to Adebayo on half way for his second chance, made a right tit of himself there. Got nowhere near Glen Rea for his chance. Clarke does this quite a lot... Other thing, we've got to be better at closing down the crosses, that Rea chance was ridiculous, switch on FFS.

I think Luton are a bit of a bogey team for Clarke. He will be glad to get that one out of the way and will probably be back to his best against Reading. 

1 hour ago, BramcoteRam84 said:

Good performance, a well deserved win and much needed. Should give us confidence now that we will get the results we need. 

Lots of questioning of Rooney, his handling of players, and tactics in recent weeks. I think yesterday the difference was intent from the players. They were aggressive in the tackle, they played forward and look at how we were transformed. Sibley proved again he can play wide and put in an excellent performance for the 60 mins he was on (daft yellow card aside). It proves that he wasn’t playing well enough before to cement a place in the team, not that Rooney has an aversion to creative players and was ruining him. I hope he goes on from here and makes himself undroppable. He’s a great talent. 

Pleased to see Lawrence back. Delighted for Max Bird thought he had a good game yesterday and was also pleased with Joz when he came on. Gutted for Waggy and Gregory as both had their best games of the season until they went off. Shame as I really liked the balance of the team yesterday. We’ll have to go one up with Kazim if they’re out. 

The players have not been absolved of criticism but IMO the management have been taking too much of the blame in recent weeks. The players needed to step up and they did. Let’s hope it continues.

Nah, Sibley wasn't given sufficient time to prove himself before, few starts, the odd 10 mins here and there......now Rooney has given him the chance to do so he has shown what most of us believe, he has got loads of talent and creativity that we have lacked and been crying out for.....agree with most of the rest....

1 hour ago, ShoreRam said:

Clarke has been solid as a rock for the vast majority of the time...all defenders make the odd mistake, look at John Stones....we would be in real trouble without Clarke....

Archived