v Luton (h) Matchday Thread

Parsnip

Played well for first 30 minutes of 1st half and about 20 minutes in 2nd. Wizza still makes me cringe at times with his lack of man marking,especially in set pieces. Waggy,Sibbo and Lawrence did well as did Byrne. Hope injuries don't cripple us with the rest of the run in. Other games favoured us today. Hope Brum lose tonight. Need at least a point at Reading on Monday otherwise today's result will seem a little less palatable.

• Replies 539
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can we recall Stretton? 

He would have scored today. When they had to push their back line up, we needed someone who has pace and can play on the shoulder. Our counters are poor because we lack the pace in behind. 

Might be the perfect time for Stretton. 

26 minutes ago, Owen87ITK said:

I don’t mind this at all, for the record.

I generally make at least 2-3 errors a game, usually more, and I’d much rather know so I don’t do it again!

My stats stuff is usually spot on, it’s identification that lets me down, but I’ll blame that on having to commentate off the monitors.

I will defend myself on the above though - I think I said, Ince has scored against Derby since leaving, and that he left is 2017, I didn’t say he scored that goal in 2017 ?

Fair.

But, I must warn you, it's now my personal mission to end your career the next time you put a toe out of line.

No pressure.

9 minutes ago, Norman said:

Can we recall Stretton? 

He would have scored today. When they had to push their back line up, we needed someone who has pace and can play on the shoulder. Our counters are poor because we lack the pace in behind. 

Might be the perfect time for Stretton. 

His loan was only for 1 month originally and comes to an end on 7th April.  I would think that it's served it's purpose and given him some experience and confidence in  men's football, which could be valuable if Waghorn and Gregory's injuries are serious.

Just now, ram59 said:

His loan was only for 1 month originally and comes to an end on 7th April.  I would think that it's served it's purpose and given him some experience and confidence in  men's football, which could be valuable if Waghorn and Gregory's injuries are serious.

Came off on 55mins today - for Rooney! - hope he's not injured?

8 minutes ago, chezzyram said:

I think you answered your own question there - we won

Think it probably sums up how most fans are feeling at the moment. Its been a depressing year in general but when you add what we've had to watch for the last year and the off field antics its become very exhausting. I was genuinely at peace last Saturday because I knew I wouldn't have to put up with watching/listening to Derby play.

Good win today it would seem and results have gone our way which means we can relax until monday... That said I'm not sure stumbling over the line to stay up should be applauded. The sooner the season can end and we can watch England in the euros the better.

18 minutes ago, ariotofmyown said:

Only 23 pages for a great win? Was there some sort of forum outage or have loads of people had to work. Strange.

Don't knock it!

This is the first game where I've been able to follow the game on one screen, whilst not falling 5 or 6 pages behind on the Matchday thread!  (2 windows/same laptop).

It's added to my relaxed state of mind, and all round enjoyment of this new virtual matchday experience.  ?

Well that was better. Best performance in probably 4 months. Not perfect and I think we could have done a couple things differently tactically to make it smoother but I'll take it purely because we actually named a line up to attack and try to win the game. 

Having 4 out and out attacking players made it a lot more difficult to pick up a player and mark them out of the game with Sibley and Lawrence clearly benefiting from being able to pick up pockets of space and looking to hurt them. 

My only quibble is when Waghorn got injured that I think we should have perhaps brought on Watson in order to keep the ball better and wrestle a bit more control of the game whilst in the lead. And sitting Watson on their DM who was freely picking up the ball allowing them to gain control of the midfield. 

It wasn't perfect but it was much more promising than anything we've seen in a while and finally an attempt to try and fix our problems going forward. I'll take intent and a win right now. 

Vital result, decent performance & a good day overall given results elsewhere.

Good to see us going for Luton today instead of the anaemic safety first approach seen against Millwall & Stoke. Whilst the 4-4-2 left us a little vulnerable to their numbers in midfield, it opened up the game, gave us plenty in the box & allowed us first half to have plenty of chances. We were also a decent watch for a change.

Sibley & Waghorn were fantastic that first half and added a lot of dynamism to our play. Cracking move between the two of them to set up Gregory's goal & Sibley was very involved from the right wing all half. Only criticism is that we didnt go 2 or 3 up...Lawrence seemed to have a couple of great chances he needed to get his head to & Waghorn got his feet in a tangle on a couple of occasions in the box.

That said, we were on the back foot just before half time & only a cracking save from Marshall kept us ahead. Defensively we looked a bit ponderous, esp at CB and the second goal after great work from Lawrence was very welcome. Thereafter, we sat deep & kept them reasonably at bay.

Slightly different approach probably needed at Reading on Monday but a return to winning ways & a clean sheet (and a bit of a margin to the bottom 3) should give us confidence to get a result there too.

1 hour ago, Steve How Hard? said:

@Owen87ITK just quoted some more facts on Tom Ince. @DarkFruitsRam7 could you please confirm if these were correct or incorrect? ?

You all missed the facts he was still sulking and looking miserable when he came on the pitch and when he left the pitch and has taken the world of football on since he left us, by sulking and looking miserable at Huddersfield Town, Stoke City and now at Luton Town for a bit.

Archived