v Luton (h) Matchday Thread

Parsnip

• Replies 539
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Very pleased at what I read re our start to the game, a bit of intent goes a long way with me. Very, very pleased with the result given other results were favourable today too. 

A point on Monday would be a very good point, Reading can be a handful but I believe with a positive approach we can give them something to think about.

24 minutes ago, Steve How Hard? said:

Mighty quiet around here after a vital win and best performance in weeks. That result takes the pressure off Mondays game a bit. A draw would be a decent result now. Before anyone crucifies me, I'm not suggesting it's a free hit. 

Monday's a free hit now, isn't it? ?

12 minutes ago, Pearl Ram said:

Very pleased at what I read re our start to the game, a bit of intent goes a long way with me. Very, very pleased with the result given other results were favourable today too. 

A point on Monday would be a very good point, Reading can be a handful but I believe with a positive approach we can give them something to think about.

We should not be afraid of reading.

They do have something to play for so need to respect that and not assume that they will be on the beach. 

A point should not be beyond us and we can get 3 with some grit and maybe a bit of good fortune. 

Well that was a great result - I was expecting us to reverse into a 1 - 0 defeat, so I'm glad I was wrong.

We started fairly brightly, but almost straight away Luton, with nothing to play for, revealed their sly side. Graham Shinnie gave a footballing "Glasgow kiss" early on for which the ref gave a free-kick, which may have been fair. But immediately their captain, Rae was straight at the ref wanting a booking, and was chelping away. I didn't actually see money change hands, but Rae's ear-bashing seemed to work, because apart from the penalty, the ref gave us almost nothing. The assistants weren't much cop either, and neither was the 4th official. I saw the Twitter video of the Byrne affair, which Mucker greatly missed apparently and there wasn't just one red card offence - there were two. Byrne was thrown to the floor with a two-handed push to the face. That in itself is a red card, but then there was a deliberately aimed kick towards the face, so another  red card, possibly involving two players. And there was a succession of bizarre decisions - Gregory hauled backwards when trying to jump for a header, right in front of the ref, the ball hits the ref during a Derby attacking move, so he gives a free-kick/dropped ball to Luton, CKR fouled near the corner flag, free-kick to Luton. And the whimped-out red card incident. Very poor. Not appallingly bad as we normally see, just poor and pretty one sided.

Getting back on to the front foot, it was refreshing to see Derby playing on the front foot. Surprisingly it works loads better than being on the back foot! It was also good to see Waghorn making a number of good contributions - he played well today. I for one had hoped that we had seen the last of him when he was left out of the team, but well done to the man! And well done to Sibbo - he was a real threat on the right wing, and seemed to have the freedom to move inside from time to time. And Tom - was back towards the Tom we want. He still ran into defenders a couple of times, but at least he was trying to force things to happen. And yes he missed some chance, although the header he was supposed to have put away - actually it was really good defending which put him off-balance ever so slightly so that he couldn't get a good enough direction change on the ball. But he was there in the right place, and was a threat. 

Whether it was Luton changing tactics or not, but it seems Derby started to try and hold out for half-time for the last 10 minutes of the first half, but thankfully didn't carry it on into the second half. 

Given we had no idea how this match would go, it was satisfying to see what we took out onto the pitch today and that we went at Luton form the start. There was also a degree of passion there - several players had a go at the match officials - Tom Lawrence was clearly giving the ref a reprimand, as did Byrne, which was a risk as he was already on a yellow. Was the Colin Kazim-Richards incident a carrying on of the passion against the officials for those bizarre decision which always seemed to go in Luton's favour. Dunno, but things seemed to matter to us today, and long may it continue.

20 minutes ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

Great to see Lawrence and Sibley back..we actually have some creative talent in the squad again

Was quite telling,, with Lawrence and Sibley we were much more direct than for the majority of games this season. Waggy and Gregory had service to thrive off.

As a side point Gregory did what Rooney expects CKR to have done more, get in the box for a knock down or cross. Not meaning to be harsh on CKR but Rooney has made that point and Gregory executed it perfectly with a tap in.

But above all it was the direct intent of Lawrence and Sibley that they struggled with most and I hope they carry it on against Reading.

Well pleased with that result

Now onto Reading, hope we can a result, in this division anything can happen, so would not be surprised if we get a 1-0, smash and grab. 

Only negative is we lost two forwards with injuries, so we need to keep CKR fit. 

2 minutes ago, DavesaRam said:

Well that was a great result - I was expecting us to reverse into a 1 - 0 defeat, so I'm glad I was wrong.

We started fairly brightly, but almost straight away Luton, with nothing to play for, revealed their sly side. Graham Shinnie gave a footballing "Glasgow kiss" early on for which the ref gave a free-kick, which may have been fair. But immediately their captain, Rae was straight at the ref wanting a booking, and was chelping away. I didn't actually see money change hands, but Rae's ear-bashing seemed to work, because apart from the penalty, the ref gave us almost nothing. The assistants weren't much cop either, and neither was the 4th official. I saw the Twitter video of the Byrne affair, which Mucker greatly missed apparently and there wasn't just one red card offence - there were two. Byrne was thrown to the floor with a two-handed push to the face. That in itself is a red card, but then there was a deliberately aimed kick towards the face, so another  red card, possibly involving two players. And there was a succession of bizarre decisions - Gregory hauled backwards when trying to jump for a header, right in front of the ref, the ball hits the ref during a Derby attacking move, so he gives a free-kick/dropped ball to Luton, CKR fouled near the corner flag, free-kick to Luton. And the whimped-out red card incident. Very poor. Not appallingly bad as we normally see, just poor and pretty one sided.

Getting back on to the front foot, it was refreshing to see Derby playing on the front foot. Surprisingly it works loads better than being on the back foot! It was also good to see Waghorn making a number of good contributions - he played well today. I for one had hoped that we had seen the last of him when he was left out of the team, but well done to the man! And well done to Sibbo - he was a real threat on the right wing, and seemed to have the freedom to move inside from time to time. And Tom - was back towards the Tom we want. He still ran into defenders a couple of times, but at least he was trying to force things to happen. And yes he missed some chance, although the header he was supposed to have put away - actually it was really good defending which put him off-balance ever so slightly so that he couldn't get a good enough direction change on the ball. But he was there in the right place, and was a threat. 

Whether it was Luton changing tactics or not, but it seems Derby started to try and hold out for half-time for the last 10 minutes of the first half, but thankfully didn't carry it on into the second half. 

Given we had no idea how this match would go, it was satisfying to see what we took out onto the pitch today and that we went at Luton form the start. There was also a degree of passion there - several players had a go at the match officials - Tom Lawrence was clearly giving the ref a reprimand, as did Byrne, which was a risk as he was already on a yellow. Was the Colin Kazim-Richards incident a carrying on of the passion against the officials for those bizarre decision which always seemed to go in Luton's favour. Dunno, but things seemed to matter to us today, and long may it continue.

Nice little synopsis...looking forward to a more detailed report in due course ?

He has his critics but was really good to have Lawrence back. Hes still the best player of his type at the club. We needed that and everything looks different. Win at Reading and we can all start getting our Vaccine Passports sorted nice and relaxed. 

12 minutes ago, DazzaRam said:

He has his critics but was really good to have Lawrence back. Hes still the best player of his type at the club. We needed that and everything looks different. Win at Reading and we can all start getting our Vaccine Passports sorted nice and relaxed. 

It does piss me off that so many folk jump on his back. I’d say he was my MOM today. I know the flicks & tricks don’t always come off, and he can waste a pass now & again, but he never hides, and works his arse off up and down the line for the team. 

Today just showed how much we’ve missed him. Shows you it’s not so hard to create chances when you have good creative players with licence to be creative. 

1 hour ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

We should not be afraid of reading.

They do have something to play for so need to respect that and not assume that they will be on the beach. 

A point should not be beyond us and we can get 3 with some grit and maybe a bit of good fortune. 

Didnt See You Oh Hello GIF by Cappa Video Productions

42 minutes ago, ramsbottom said:

It does piss me off that so many folk jump on his back. I’d say he was my MOM today. I know the flicks & tricks don’t always come off, and he can waste a pass now & again, but he never hides, and works his arse off up and down the line for the team. 

Today just showed how much we’ve missed him. Shows you it’s not so hard to create chances when you have good creative players with licence to be creative. 

My MOM too. I’ll criticise a players match but never continually groan about a player....ok Forsyth can’t pass.... but that aside...... ahem........ Tom is a real player, in a better side than us I think he’d be on fire, still we gotta hope he stays fit for rest of season. 

3 minutes ago, SKRam said:

We are Reading and reading pronounced differently. The town should be Redding surely? 

Well it’s on the same basis that read rhymes with lead and read rhymes with lead, but read doesn't rhyme with lead and read doesn't rhyme with lead.

Archived