v Luton (h) Matchday Thread

Parsnip

9 hours ago, vonwright said:

Other teams worry about Lawrence. He draws defenders and makes space elsewhere on the pitch. It's why you can't just measure his contribution in goals and assists. I'm really glad he's back, and I've never understood why a lot of fans don't value him. 

I’ve never valued him until yesterday, we have been sorely missing him. He worries other teams - which creates space for other players, he moves with the ball and only runs into half the blind alleys that our other “wingers”do.

Although give him one half rubbish game and I’ll go back to slating him.

• Replies 539
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, ShoreRam said:

I think Clarke seems to escape a lot of criticism on this front - Look at their best chances yesterday, got underneath the ball for Adebayo's first chance, got way too to Adebayo on half way for his second chance, made a right tit of himself there. Got nowhere near Glen Rea for his chance. Clarke does this quite a lot...

Well yesterday he was covering for Wisdom and Fozzy (who was ordinary at best).

37 minutes ago, Jimbo Ram said:

Nah, Sibley wasn't given sufficient time to prove himself before, few starts, the odd 10 mins here and there......now Rooney has given him the chance to do so he has shown what most of us believe, he has got loads of talent and creativity that we have lacked and been crying out for.....agree with most of the rest....

My point was more around those saying when he is played he’s played out of position and then being left out when he doesn’t perform. He’s not started many games but he’s now played well a couple times starting  wide. He’s a talented player who can still do a good job not playing his preferred position.

Hes been way off it for the majority of the season and at times was a walking yellow card. Typical second season for a teenager. I’m hoping he’ll kick on now and next season (providing we keep hold of him) he becomes the star of this league. He’s good enough.

17 minutes ago, BramcoteRam84 said:

My point was more around those saying when he is played he’s played out of position and then being left out when he doesn’t perform. He’s not started many games but he’s now played well a couple times starting  wide. He’s a talented player who can still do a good job not playing his preferred position.

Hes been way off it for the majority of the season and at times was a walking yellow card. Typical second season for a teenager. I’m hoping he’ll kick on now and next season (providing we keep hold of him) he becomes the star of this league. He’s good enough.

I keep hearing comments like he has been way off when he has played etc etc but he has hardly played has he? He hasn’t been given a proper chance. Rooney is still learning and hopefully will learn from his mistakes....leaving Sibley out of the team for so long being one of his biggest so far....

24 minutes ago, Jimbo Ram said:

I keep hearing comments like he has been way off when he has played etc etc but he has hardly played has he? He hasn’t been given a proper chance. Rooney is still learning and hopefully will learn from his mistakes....leaving Sibley out of the team for so long being one of his biggest so far....

We’ll never know of course. 
Those who claim Rooney has delivered a management master class will use his excellence next season as proof. 
Those who claim Rooney has mismanaged him will use his excellence next season as proof. 
Those of us who haven’t a clue what we’re talking about will just enjoy him having an excellent season ?

A bang average championship game and we came out on top. It is a really poor league this year and games such as this have such fine margins. If they had equalised in the first half then Who knows. Overall we deserved the win though I felt. I quite enjoyed the first half - certainly better than the tedium of late.

7 points from 7 games required I should think then a very busy summer awaits - let’s hope our ownership issues don’t prevent us from doing what need to be done. 

39 minutes ago, Jimbo Ram said:

Indeed

Big difference playing out wide with 2 strikers too.

Gregory occupied one of their players leaving Waghorn in more space, giving Sibley someone to link up with. We also had a better balance with Lawrence on the other side of the pitch, and Sibley being on the right meant he could put in some inswingers as we saw for the goal. Oh and he had Byrne to work with too 

Compare that with being isolated on the left chasing long balls and flick-ons,  the only player ahead of him marked closely by the opposition or 50 yards to his right and Buchanan behind him (not a slight on Lee but Byrne is clearly the better of the two for now) and you can see why both Sibley and Waghorn played well yesterday.

...but no no, it was all down to Wayne Rooney criticising, not playing or dropping them.

Sans Lawrence we could have put that side out, with that intent at any point since the transfer window, but Rooney chose not to do that and it's cost us points in very winnable games.

2 minutes ago, Steve Buckley’s Dog said:

A bang average championship game and we came out on top. It is a really poor league this year and games such as this have such fine margins. If they had equalised in the first half then Who knows. Overall we deserved the win though I felt. I quite enjoyed the first half - certainly better than the tedium of late.

7 points from 7 games required I should think then a very busy summer awaits - let’s hope our ownership issues don’t prevent us from doing what need to be done. 

I don't think we will need 50 points, 48 should suffice I reckon, win and two draws....

Just now, Coconut said:

Indeed

Big difference playing out wide with 2 strikers too.

Gregory occupied one of their players leaving Waghorn in more space, giving Sibley someone to link up with. We also had a better balance with Lawrence on the other side of the pitch, and Sibley being on the right meant he could put in some inswingers as we saw for the goal. Oh and he had Byrne to work with too 

Compare that with being isolated on the left chasing long balls and flick-ons,  the only player ahead of him marked closely by the opposition or 50 yards to his right and Buchanan behind him (not a slight on Lee but Byrne is clearly the better of the two for now) and you can see why both Sibley and Waghorn played well yesterday.

...but no no, it was all down to Wayne Rooney criticising them.

As I said earlier, as long as Wazza learns from his mistakes and doesn't repeat them....

4 hours ago, Jimbo Ram said:

Don’t agree

Not many if any positive remarks regarding Waggy .....credit where its due he was good today and his touch to Gregory was brilliant, hes not everyones favourite i know but thought he looked much  better as a striker in a two

10 minutes ago, S8TY said:

Not many if any positive remarks regarding Waggy .....credit where its due he was good today and his touch to Gregory was brilliant, hes not everyones favourite i know but thought he looked much  better as a striker in a two

I thought it was probably Waggys best 40 mins of the season. People moaning about what Rooney said about Waggy should see it had an effect. Same with Sibley. Leave Rooney to manage players ok Snowflakes lol

12 hours ago, Taribo said:

I’ve never valued him until yesterday, we have been sorely missing him. He worries other teams - which creates space for other players, he moves with the ball and only runs into half the blind alleys that our other “wingers”do.

Although give him one half rubbish game and I’ll go back to slating him.

I made a New Year's Resolution to only day positive things about Lawrence this year. Amazing fellow that Tom the Ball.

Archived