New management team required - NOW

Hi . This is Wayne. I'm not here 

Please leave a message following my normal ramble and I'll call you back

I'm hugely disappointed

"But obviously the run of form over the last few weeks has not been good enough. We know, if we did not know beforehand, we are in a relegation battle."

"It was a very frustrating performance, especially first half.

X ------ PLAYER has not been selected today by following my example at the start of the season of being a good stone overweight and hardly moving in training.

Beeep..........

• Replies 563
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There's numerous great points on this thread, ( too many to quote etc) but for me they are all missing the main issue. 

Pooh runs downhill. It's been totally crass mis management for years now, too numerous to mention them all, but from going into the dressing room, being seeming starstruck and appointing 'celeb managers', the cringeworthy 'Derby Way' statement, not to mention the having 'half the team from the academy' baloney

Couple that with the underhand sale of the Stadium and the subsequent fights with the EFL and I see a common problem. This all starts and ends at the door of Mel Morris. His tenure has been nothing more than a total and utter disaster.

If he was a fridge seller from the far east we'd all be up in arms about it, but 'he's one of our own' so it's ok. 

Thanks for the free scarf and the free cuppa tho Mel. 

The Watson situation is what frustrates me the most. We have a promising young player, coming off the bench and putting in good performances that warrant a start in an underperforming team. Then Rooney continues to keep him on the bench before eventually starting him 1. against one of the best teams in the league, 2. not in his favoured position and then 3. subbing him off at half-time. No wonder he barely got a kick. Doesn’t sound like brilliant man management to me, clearly he isn’t taking after Sir Alex.

Looking at today’s game every player to me gave it 100 per cent whether they played well or not I didn’t see players hiding and I certainly don’t see a “dressing room lost” situation 

i wish we as fans could be there to support our team because they need it but in my opinion we are clearly not good enough going forward , you don’t have to be a football genius to see that clearly 

we do have Lawrence back and he looked bright today but here’s another player constantly berated by fans on here but I believe he’s our answer to a few goals or creating a few 

what is disappointing is the fact we never addressed our attacking options in the window  as we are missing pace up front but let’s get one thing straight ...there is no lack of effort amongst the players they are giving there all as far as I can see but we are woefully short going forward and relying on CKR too much who was clearly not fit today 

and as for Waggy a player I think gets a lot of unfair abuse ...if Rooney wants to say he hasn’t been good enough in training so be it ....we need everyone pulling in the right direction and if he isn’t then leave him out ...he won’t be here next season and his best days are well behind him ...Rooney calls it how it is and I don’t mind that ....players know if you don’t put it in you don’t play and Rooney said this when he took over.

Now is not the time to be questioning whether he stays or goes that needs to be done at the end of the season but in the meantime we need everyone pulling together .....in the same direction ...instead of slagging Rooney off for being honest how about ask why Waghorn is not doing his best in training ?

we,ve had far too many comfortable players not being good enough when it matters and if Waggy never plays another game that’ll be down to himself 

The summer will be crucial and next season we will see a very different team

Matt Clarke is an absolute colossus for us and hope we sign him permanently and make him captain that’s the starting point in the summer for me then get some new faces in as this season is all about staying up ....and we will ....

1 hour ago, S8TY said:

Looking at today’s game every player to me gave it 100 per cent whether they played well or not I didn’t see players hiding and I certainly don’t see a “dressing room lost” situation 

i wish we as fans could be there to support our team because they need it but in my opinion we are clearly not good enough going forward , you don’t have to be a football genius to see that clearly 

we do have Lawrence back and he looked bright today but here’s another player constantly berated by fans on here but I believe he’s our answer to a few goals or creating a few 

what is disappointing is the fact we never addressed our attacking options in the window  as we are missing pace up front but let’s get one thing straight ...there is no lack of effort amongst the players they are giving there all as far as I can see but we are woefully short going forward and relying on CKR too much who was clearly not fit today 

and as for Waggy a player I think gets a lot of unfair abuse ...if Rooney wants to say he hasn’t been good enough in training so be it ....we need everyone pulling in the right direction and if he isn’t then leave him out ...he won’t be here next season and his best days are well behind him ...Rooney calls it how it is and I don’t mind that ....players know if you don’t put it in you don’t play and Rooney said this when he took over.

Now is not the time to be questioning whether he stays or goes that needs to be done at the end of the season but in the meantime we need everyone pulling together .....in the same direction ...instead of slagging Rooney off for being honest how about ask why Waghorn is not doing his best in training ?

we,ve had far too many comfortable players not being good enough when it matters and if Waggy never plays another game that’ll be down to himself 

The summer will be crucial and next season we will see a very different team

Matt Clarke is an absolute colossus for us and hope we sign him permanently and make him captain that’s the starting point in the summer for me then get some new faces in as this season is all about staying up ....and we will ....

Rooney calls it how he sees it, and that will be an opinion not a fact, so not how it is

Until the last few weeks I was impressed with his public comments and the unity seen in the squad. Like accumulated points this has vanished.

Rooney has had a baptism of fire and I have to concede that those who felt our situation required someone with experience may have been correct.

Even if Rooney was not the right manager for Derby, as the position might have required an experienced manager, reality sets in.

Would Mel, since he wants to sell the club, spend millions on first paying of Rooney, and second bring in a better qualified manager.

Next what successful, qualified, experienced manager would be prepared to accept the job at Derby, with the club struggling for survival and with no guaranteed new owners, with deep pockets to save the club by bringing in new talent.

What new talent would want to sign for Derby on the summer, even if the team survives.

I dont blame Mel, he wants to sell the club, but if the teams relegated, he will get half the money he wants for the club, maybe less. He might get 20 million for Derby in league one.

I dont entirely blame Rooney, he's new to football management. He's not passed his FA management qualification yet.

Rooney should have been an assistant manager before becoming a manager.

I dont blame the team, as some argument could be made for players being played in the wrong position, and the wrong formation being picked for games.

Derby need a successful manager and not just an experienced manager, but would someone have come to Derby in the position the club was left in, after cocu left.

Would a successful manager come to Derby in the clubs current position.

Would Mac want to take over managing the club, if he did, I dont see enough evidence that he would do a lot better than Rooney

2 hours ago, Oldben said:

Even if Rooney was not the right manager for Derby, as the position might have required an experienced manager, reality sets in.

Would Mel, since he wants to sell the club, spend millions on first paying of Rooney, and second bring in a better qualified manager.

Next what successful, qualified, experienced manager would be prepared to accept the job at Derby, with the club struggling for survival and with no guaranteed new owners, with deep pockets to save the club by bringing in new talent.

What new talent would want to sign for Derby on the summer, even if the team survives.

I dont blame Mel, he wants to sell the club, but if the teams relegated, he will get half the money he wants for the club, maybe less. He might get 20 million for Derby in league one.

I dont entirely blame Rooney, he's new to football management. He's not passed his FA management qualification yet.

Rooney should have been an assistant manager before becoming a manager.

I dont blame the team, as some argument could be made for players being played in the wrong position, and the wrong formation being picked for games.

Derby need a successful manager and not just an experienced manager, but would someone have come to Derby in the position the club was left in, after cocu left.

Would a successful manager come to Derby in the clubs current position.

Would Mac want to take over managing the club, if he did, I dont see enough evidence that he would do a lot better than Rooney

You say you don't blame Morris, only partially blame Rooney and don't blame the team.....out of interest who do you blame then?

Given the money Morris has spent on Derby, and that its his desire to sell the club why would he want to spend more.

Morris wants the best for the club, he wouldn't have spent as much on the club over the years if he did not.

Rooney is new to management. Blaming someone so new to management does not seem fair.

I would have tried to bring in a qualified successful manager to the club, but cocu left the club in a state, where I doubt Derby could sign that kind of manager.

7 hours ago, IslandExile said:

It wasn't just Sibley that didn't deliver today - I cannot think who did. Roberts was the best of a sorry bunch but was taken off.

Sibley is still, what 19? 

Any team needs at least around 7 or 8 players to be performing at their average level or above. You cannot expect Sibley, Watson, Buchanan or other youngsters to be carrying the others.

I agree completely about Waghorn. Not the most gifted player we've ever seen but it comes to something when his attitude is questioned. That is deeply concerning. I would say a sure sign that it is not a happy camp. Very disturbing.

Agree and I’m not singling our Louis by any stretch. We don’t have enough senior pros stepping up (or in the case of Kazim today he wasn’t fit) and relying on youngsters to pull us through, the majority who are having a dip in form which is standard for a young player. They will be good but now isn’t the time for them

Yeah the Waggy thing looks concerning from the outside, noting we don’t know what’s actually going on.

8 hours ago, BondJovi said:

Just on the first paragraph, in the build up to the Bournemouth game, there were numerous rumours of Cocu going, Rooney asking coaches to work with him. We were unlucky that game, like the Forest before. The QPR game played like they all knew it was up. Then he was isolating for the Barnsley game.

What annoys me about all this is that we employed a manager to work with our young talent. He endured all kinds of crap through no fault of his own. We sack him 11 games into his second season and replace him with our captain who had been nothing but a liability on the pitch this season.

We then as a club, despite making some kind statements about Cocu. make a huge fuss about how training is fun again and all this. We are still doing that. Rooney himself said he thought he could offer more off the pitch than on, shame he didn't have the insight to become a full time coach for this season instead of shafting his boss.

Forgive me if I find it tough to support Rooney or the players at this time. Club is a mess.

Agree totally, great post.

11 hours ago, DCFClks said:

But if he does just keep us up and we give him next season, what if he starts next season poorly ? that's another season gone, just like what happened to Cocu. 

Why not Lampard? he already knows the club and many of the players, those players will tell the other players how fun it was last time he was here. He'd be able to get more great loans...

Your Harry redknapp and I claim my ten pounds

7 hours ago, Jourdan said:

He won’t be sacked this season. It would take something incredible. It could happen if we see a run of 4-5 consecutive defeats in April and we need a last roll of the dice, and even then I think we’d put Wassall in caretaker charge.

For Rooney to stay, it really depends on if and how we stay up. Cracks are already starting to appear. Disgruntlement is already there surrounding performances, team selection, tactics and style of play. If we lose 4-5 and limp over the line, most will be left thinking: will it be more of the same?

I think we would have to see some big performances and big results to lift the mood ahead of next season and rule out the need for a clean break. Everyone starts on zero and a good summer window could make a world of difference. But are the club in a position to deliver that? We saw with Cocu that you can genuinely suffer irreparable effects from a poor end to the previous season and that is the worry: from top to bottom, nothing will change.

I mean you say Rooney’s impact has largely been good, but the way this run is going and the way we’ve been playing since the turn of the year, people won’t remember Swansea and Bournemouth at home or competing well with Brentford for 135 minutes over two games, they will remember games like Stoke away and how turned off it made them feel.

You said it yourself - the buck stops with the manager. Rooney was the hero when we were winning games and people were saying we could push for the top half and upwards. So it’s only logical that he is going to get the criticism now matters have soured.

Personally I have never felt he is the right man for the long term. People are now moving towards that view and deserting a sinking ship. You can’t desert a ship which you were never on board, so for me, I am just seeing my fears confirmed. I don’t think we are a good match given where the club are and how much needs to change. Three or four years ago when we could bulldoze our way into contention no matter who was in charge, he would have fared better.

But right now, we need someone with some nous, some vision, and some X factor. Any measure of success under Rooney will be on hollow ground as we have already seen.

I’m ambivalent as to who should be in charge going forward. Just think given our financial situation Rooney will get next season if he keeps us up. 

I agree though we need some positive performances towards the end of the season to stop fans being on his back from minute 1 next season, where pressure could be magnified as we will (hopefully) be back at Pride Park by then. 

Right now let’s hope we get what we need to survive. I was confident, i still think we will but we’re making it hard and performances have to improve because other than Watford and second half against Brentford we haven’t been good enough in the past 7 games.

6 hours ago, kevinhectoring said:

Apart from Roberts, whom you rightly mention: Byrne, Clarke, Menghi for sure. Shinnie was decent (why was he and not Knight substituted ?) 

Because some players can do no wrong. 

If I was a player under Rooney, I’d be peed off with how he treats half the team differently to the other. 

8 hours ago, BondJovi said:

Just on the first paragraph, in the build up to the Bournemouth game, there were numerous rumours of Cocu going, Rooney asking coaches to work with him. We were unlucky that game, like the Forest before. The QPR game played like they all knew it was up. Then he was isolating for the Barnsley game.

What annoys me about all this is that we employed a manager to work with our young talent. He endured all kinds of crap through no fault of his own. We sack him 11 games into his second season and replace him with our captain who had been nothing but a liability on the pitch this season.

We then as a club, despite making some kind statements about Cocu. make a huge fuss about how training is fun again and all this. We are still doing that. Rooney himself said he thought he could offer more off the pitch than on, shame he didn't have the insight to become a full time coach for this season instead of shafting his boss.

Forgive me if I find it tough to support Rooney or the players at this time. Club is a mess.

Good post.

Please don't think I'm supporting Rooney though or airbrushing his contribution to Cocu's demise. It was abundantly obvious Rooney's unprofessional demeanour (turning up overweight in June, poor mobility on the pitch, Sport Relief distraction) post lockdown was harming the team & as you rightly say, he lacked the maturity to step down from the playing side at that point. Add onto that the constant media 'stories' declaring Cocu's inminent departure that even Mel was publically laughing at & the ridiculous John Gregory story that could only have come from Rooney's agent & its clear Cocu had a massive internal problem.

My standpoint in wanting Rooney to stay until the end of season is threefold. Firstly, we dont need yet more upheaval in such a crucial period. Secondly, we would struggle financially to get rid of him & the coaching team. Finally, I want Wayne Rooney to own this. He agitated for the job & was partially culpable for the Cocu departure with his poor standards as a big name player & coach. If having taken charge of a talented squad that he himself declared should be nowhere near the bottom 3, got us out of the bottom 3 but we still go down, that is 100% on him.

10 minutes ago, LeedsCityRam said:

Good post.

Please don't think I'm supporting Rooney though or airbrushing his contribution to Cocu's demise. It was abundantly obvious Rooney's unprofessional demeanour (turning up overweight in June, poor mobility on the pitch, Sport Relief distraction) post lockdown was harming the team & as you rightly say, he lacked the maturity to step down from the playing side at that point. Add onto that the constant media 'stories' declaring Cocu's inminent departure that even Mel was publically laughing at & the ridiculous John Gregory story that could only have come from Rooney's agent & its clear Cocu had a massive internal problem.

My standpoint in wanting Rooney to stay until the end of season is threefold. Firstly, we dont need yet more upheaval in such a crucial period. Secondly, we would struggle financially to get rid of him & the coaching team. Finally, I want Wayne Rooney to own this. He agitated for the job & was partially culpable for the Cocu departure with his poor standards as a big name player & coach. If having taken charge of a talented squad that he himself declared should be nowhere near the bottom 3, got us out of the bottom 3 but we still go down, that is 100% on him.

I agree with that but we don't want to get relegated just to prove a point: "cutting your nose off to spite your face".

But, anyway, I do not think we will go down.

Either way, I cannot see us sacking Rooney for at least another year.

I just hope that he changes his approach. He said he was going to use the international break to review things... Let's hope he starts with himself.

29 minutes ago, LeedsCityRam said:

Good post.

Indeed and given Rooney’s behavior at the start of the season it seems pretty ironic for him to be calling out Waghorn last night. 

I don’t know what waghorns been up to but unless it’s really serious the now manager set a tone with his own standards earlier earlier in the season.

3 minutes ago, IslandExile said:

I agree with that but we don't want to get relegated just to prove a point: "cutting your nose off to spite your face".

But, anyway, I do not think we will go down.

Either way, I cannot see us sacking Rooney for at least another year.

I just hope that he changes his approach. He said he was going to use the international break to review things... Let's hope he starts with himself.

Probably worded badly on my behalf but it isnt about proving a point & the prospect of relegation to League One certainly shouldn't be taken casually. Of course if he was totally incompetent, he'd have to go now but like I've said elsewhere, his record overall shows there are still grounds for hope. I also agree we will stay up.

He agitated for the the job, the fans wanted him to get the job, the media desperately wanted him to get the job. Therefore from my perspective we stick with him & let the project play out rather than act hastily & be accused of not giving a novice manager time. If it goes wrong, he owns it rather than the endless 'if only we'd given him time' narrative that would inevitably surface if we fired him now.

Archived