New management team required - NOW

Mel isn’t going to sack Rooney before the end of the season. We only have to fluke our way to one or two results and we could be nine points clear of the bottom three again.

But I do think the next eight games will decide if we stick with Rooney beyond this season. Mel (and the potential new owners) will be watching closely and seeing how the signs look for next season. They will want to see green shoots, something to inspire hope. 

The way this run is going - poor performances, poor results, a disjointed group, an unappealing style of play - could be terminal for his prospects, as I don’t think anyone sees this as the way forward, not even the Rooney loyalists.

• Replies 563
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, VulcanRam said:

This international break is the first time Rooney and the coaching staff have had time to breathe and time to think. Since he took over it's been Saturday - Tuesday/Wednesday pretty much every week. Let's see what he does.

I'd give him to the rest of the season. If we stay up, he must be allowed to bring in his own coaches - this gang of four has been a disaster.

With the right people around him I think he can be a success. But he also needs a better quality of player.

I’m guessing they’ll spend the next two weeks looking to set up against the next opposition exactly how the opposition play to try and nullify the opposition in how they play which will mean we don’t start as an attacking team and look to defend a nil nil draw and try not to make Luton look like Barcelona. Aaaaand breathe 

36 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

Mel isn’t going to sack Rooney before the end of the season. We only have to fluke our way to one or two results and we could be nine points clear of the bottom three again.

But I do think the next eight games will decide if we stick with Rooney beyond this season. Mel (and the potential new owners) will be watching closely and seeing how the signs look for next season. They will want to see green shoots, something to inspire hope. 

The way this run is going - poor performances, poor results, a disjointed group, an unappealing style of play - could be terminal for his prospects, as I don’t think anyone sees this as the way forward, not even the Rooney loyalists.

You make some good points.

Agree no way we will sack him before the end of the season. But I also think if we stay up he’ll get next season. The last 7 games haven’t been good but there have been a lot of good things when looking overall at the games in charge in both performances and results. He deserves criticism for Cardiff and Coventry, I also think some aspects of the set up today and definitely the substitutions deserve some criticism, taking Roberts off for example made no sense when he was arguably our best attacking player today.

But i think the so called tactical experts that post on here putting all the blame at Rooney’s door (not saying you’re one of these people) is wrong imo. The difference between the first half against Brentford and today compared with the second half against Brentford is intent, we were positive and aggressive in taking the game to Brentford second half, we were passive in the first half.  Today Rooney picks the same team that finished against Brentford, said the game plan was to be on the front foot, yet the performance was the complete opposite. He can’t play the game for the players. We have senior pros not taking responsibility and too many youngsters in the team freezing and playing the safe options. That comes down to what he has available, I think he has a squad with ability but it’s becoming more apparent seriously lacking in knowhow guile and game management. That isn’t Rooney it’s the cards he’s been dealt. But the buck stops with the manager and we’ll have a decision to make if we go down.

Is he the right man to take us forward beyond this season? I agree with you the Jury is out but if he keeps us up I still think we’ll stick with him. Keeping us up would be a good solid start to his managerial career, not a miracle but a good job, he also knows where we need to improve and understands the constraints he will be working within. He also has another 2 years on his contract and we’re not exactly flush with cash right now.

But if he is in charge next season we will be expecting not to be in the same position we are now and there will be more focus on the style of play. He will be under much more scrutiny from the owners and fans and any honeymoon period will most definitely have passed. It will be a bigger challenge for him I think. 

For now though im still backing him. 

1 hour ago, Unlucky Alf said:

Marriott who put weight on at Wednesday and given time out by the Manager, Holmes openly stating he had talks with Huddersfield while we played a behind closed door friendly earlier in the season, Sibley who said he can be a little impulsive when coming on and knows he needs to do better, Waghorn may be looking to move on 

"He trained excellent on Thursday," Rooney confirmed after the Stoke defeat.

"Friday, in my opinion, wasn't acceptable in terms of the behaviour not so much the training."

Bloke says a lot but does little else.  Seems most of his squad are beginning to not be arsed to turn out for him which perhaps says more about him than them.  One, maybe two players probably aren't keen on the manager at most places  but they generally get on with the job as a team player. seems like his whole squad is ready to lay siege to the Bastille the way he drones on.

5 hours ago, Chris_Martin said:

yes we have the players, but the tactics are awful

we’re all looking at another abominable first half, each player an island, and Rooney is on the touchline observing like a bird watcher. He doesn’t need to wait until half time to tell the wing backs to advance, or the backs to hold a higher line, or the forwards to coordinate the press. I’m not sure tactics is his thing.  Are his thing  

2 hours ago, LeedsCityRam said:

Not so sure about the highlighted bit. As you probably knew, I was a big Cocu fan but he looked totally lost in those last few games (as did the team)

No doubt we're in a horrible run of form but I have seen more evidence that Rooney can 'win ugly' which Cocu really struggled with. The one thing they do have in common (and which you've highlighted elsewhere) is their over-reactivity to opponents. It makes teams too defensive in their thinking & given the talent we do have, we should be getting on the front foot against ordinary opposition like Stoke today & Millwall last week.

As to whether to change now...I really hate managerial change at the best of times but 3 managers in one season would turn us into a real basketcase. Not sure it would have a positive impact either given a) we've lost our best player to injury & b) we've already done the big managerial reset 4 months ago. Its also another financial hammer blow given the 2.5 year contracts given out a few weeks ago. We've gone down this route so I think we need to see it through.

Just on the first paragraph, in the build up to the Bournemouth game, there were numerous rumours of Cocu going, Rooney asking coaches to work with him. We were unlucky that game, like the Forest before. The QPR game played like they all knew it was up. Then he was isolating for the Barnsley game.

What annoys me about all this is that we employed a manager to work with our young talent. He endured all kinds of crap through no fault of his own. We sack him 11 games into his second season and replace him with our captain who had been nothing but a liability on the pitch this season.

We then as a club, despite making some kind statements about Cocu. make a huge fuss about how training is fun again and all this. We are still doing that. Rooney himself said he thought he could offer more off the pitch than on, shame he didn't have the insight to become a full time coach for this season instead of shafting his boss.

Forgive me if I find it tough to support Rooney or the players at this time. Club is a mess.

20 minutes ago, BramcoteRam84 said:

Today Rooney picks the same team that finished against Brentford, said the game plan was to be on the front foot, yet the performance was the complete opposite. He can’t play the game for the players.

It's often said, in situations like these, that the manager has "lost the dressing room".

Add the Waghorn falling out, the Sibley frustration, the constant changing of lineups, formations then multiple substitutions each game.

It's just not working.

8 minutes ago, IslandExile said:

It's often said, in situations like these, that the manager has "lost the dressing room".

Add the Waghorn falling out, the Sibley frustration, the constant changing of lineups, formations then multiple substitutions each game.

It's just not working.

I’ve made my feelings known on Sibley and for me again today he didn’t deliver. But I only had RD and Eric Steele’s assessment to go on.

The changing of line ups has only really been an issue in the past 7 games (which crazily is only 2-3 weeks). 

The Waggy thing I agree is concerning. Question his lack of quality at times but his commitment has never been called into question until now. I guess we’ll find out quickly after the international break if he’s lost the dressing room. Surely he needs as many senior pros as he’s got right now?!

8 minutes ago, LittleEatonRam said:

It would have been. But almost everyone- including on this forum - wanted Rooney based on a new manager bounce and a newly fit Bielik.

I didn’t. 

I didn’t really find it acceptable until early to mid Jan where you couldn’t really argue with the run of results. So I said he’s done well and deserved a shot.

Sadly it looks like my instincts were right and it was a mix of new manager bounce mixed with the availability of Beilik and Kaz!

I actually hope he can turn it around as I don’t want to see us relegated. But squeaky bum time is fast approaching!

15 minutes ago, BramcoteRam84 said:

I’ve made my feelings known on Sibley and for me again today he didn’t deliver. But I only had RD and Eric Steele’s assessment to go on.

The changing of line ups has only really been an issue in the past 7 games (which crazily is only 2-3 weeks). 

The Waggy thing I agree is concerning. Question his lack of quality at times but his commitment has never been called into question until now. I guess we’ll find out quickly after the international break if he’s lost the dressing room. Surely he needs as many senior pros as he’s got right now?!

It wasn't just Sibley that didn't deliver today - I cannot think who did. Roberts was the best of a sorry bunch but was taken off.

Sibley is still, what 19? 

Any team needs at least around 7 or 8 players to be performing at their average level or above. You cannot expect Sibley, Watson, Buchanan or other youngsters to be carrying the others.

I agree completely about Waghorn. Not the most gifted player we've ever seen but it comes to something when his attitude is questioned. That is deeply concerning. I would say a sure sign that it is not a happy camp. Very disturbing.

3 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

Good to see RoyMac5 is back liberally spreading his laughing emojis at random posts 

Saves having anything to say or contribute.

05349320-9BCA-4785-8A86-E08334B72B48.thumb.jpeg.0e6c18e88624691a8b8dec8c5b802896.jpeg

1 hour ago, BramcoteRam84 said:

He won’t be sacked this season. It would take something incredible. It could happen if we see a run of 4-5 consecutive defeats in April and we need a last roll of the dice, and even then I think we’d put Wassall in caretaker charge.

For Rooney to stay, it really depends on if and how we stay up. Cracks are already starting to appear. Disgruntlement is already there surrounding performances, team selection, tactics and style of play. If we lose 4-5 and limp over the line, most will be left thinking: will it be more of the same?

I think we would have to see some big performances and big results to lift the mood ahead of next season and rule out the need for a clean break. Everyone starts on zero and a good summer window could make a world of difference. But are the club in a position to deliver that? We saw with Cocu that you can genuinely suffer irreparable effects from a poor end to the previous season and that is the worry: from top to bottom, nothing will change.

I mean you say Rooney’s impact has largely been good, but the way this run is going and the way we’ve been playing since the turn of the year, people won’t remember Swansea and Bournemouth at home or competing well with Brentford for 135 minutes over two games, they will remember games like Stoke away and how turned off it made them feel.

You said it yourself - the buck stops with the manager. Rooney was the hero when we were winning games and people were saying we could push for the top half and upwards. So it’s only logical that he is going to get the criticism now matters have soured.

Personally I have never felt he is the right man for the long term. People are now moving towards that view and deserting a sinking ship. You can’t desert a ship which you were never on board, so for me, I am just seeing my fears confirmed. I don’t think we are a good match given where the club are and how much needs to change. Three or four years ago when we could bulldoze our way into contention no matter who was in charge, he would have fared better.

But right now, we need someone with some nous, some vision, and some X factor. Any measure of success under Rooney will be on hollow ground as we have already seen.

4 hours ago, Topram said:

Does doesn’t it, you’d think the last thing we need is our manager fighting with players especially seen as players have the biggest pull now a days aswell 

Let's be honest,I've never seen a more enthusiastic player than Waggers..he's literally a giant Geordy puppy on blue m &ms.

If you struggle to get him motivated in training then there is a serious problem with either your training regime or attitude.

Archived