New management team required - NOW

• Replies 563
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Ramley Apple said:

The OP advocated sacking the whole managerial setup

You do know that consists of other people alongside Wayne Rooney, right?

All the other people you're referring to should of gone with Cocu, as they were part of the team that got us to the bottom of the league in the first place.

I can see the point you're making about sacking a manager at this stage. I thought it was daft of Watford to do that to Nigel Pearson last season. But Birmingham have made that change and it may well work out for them. We'll see.

I would be seriously considering a change at the end of the season. Certainly if we're no longer in the Championship. 

6 minutes ago, Andicis said:

We've had 2 points this month. A caretaker or any new manager would be easily able to at the very least match it, most would comfortably surpass it. 

Would we struggle to attract ''anyone half decent'' or would we struggle to hire big names? Because they're different things all together. 

And to add, this is the best time to do it, international break gives us time to make changes. 

We've had 2 points this month. A caretaker or any new manager would be easily able to at the very least match it, most would comfortably surpass it. 

In your opinion. But there are no guarantees. I think we'd be taking a risk either back or sack.

Would we struggle to attract ''anyone half decent'' or would we struggle to hire big names? Because they're different things all together. 

I don't mean big names. But I can't see anyone out there who, even if they wanted to take us on, would be able to instantly turn results around, which I think we can both agree is what's needed. If you do then great, name some names.

And to add, this is the best time to do it, international break gives us time to make changes. 

To be fair, if we were going to do it (and it'd still be a massive mistake IMO), now would be the best time.

18 minutes ago, Topram said:

Didn’t Rooney say waggy was training well Thursday then slags him off Friday!? We are in a dog fight this is not what we need 

Reading between the lines it wouldn't surprise me if something happened off of the back of Waghorn finding out he wouldn't start. 

1 minute ago, Ramley Apple said:

I don't mean big names. But I can't see anyone out there who, even if they wanted to take us on, would be able to instantly turn results around, which I think we can both agree is what's needed. If you do then great, name some names.

You can't see **anyone** out there that would be able to improve on 2 points out of the last 6 games? I can get the ball rolling with someone already in the club, Steve McClaren. I think Darren Wassall could get some kind of bounce, he at least knows the young players. Not bothered enough to research who's available, the idea that **nobody** out there that would manage us could improve us, is fantasy, in my opinion. 

3 minutes ago, Ramley Apple said:

In your opinion. But there are no guarantees. I think we'd be taking a risk either back or sack.

It's taking a big risk? How is it a **big** risk? We're dropping like a stone anyway, it can't really get much worse. 

6 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

All the other people you're referring to should of gone with Cocu, as they were part of the team that got us to the bottom of the league in the first place.

I can see the point you're making about sacking a manager at this stage. I thought it was daft of Watford to do that to Nigel Pearson last season. But Birmingham have made that change and it may well work out for them. We'll see.

I would be seriously considering a change at the end of the season. Certainly if we're no longer in the Championship. 

My thoughts entirely.

The management team should've gone as a whole when Cocu was sacked. That that didn't happen was just stupid.

But it's too late in the season to make wholesale changes now.

22 minutes ago, Ramley Apple said:

Because you can't just replace an entire management setup in a matter of days. I doubt the powers that be have planned for a wholesale replacement of the setup so it'd take time. Meanwhile we'd be in limbo and probably ship even more points than we would under Rooney et al.

And that's before you even get to the fact that we'd struggle to attract anyone half decent given we're in a relegation battle with serious financial woes.

why would it take days, Mac is already at the club.

1 minute ago, Ramley Apple said:

My thoughts entirely.

The management team should've gone as a whole when Cocu was sacked. That that didn't happen was just stupid.

But it's too late in the season to make wholesale changes now.

no it's not.

Birmingham have just done this, and now they have a chance of staying up.

20 minutes ago, Abu Derby said:

Brian Clough would have struggled with this lot.

Wingers who can’t cross, strikers who don’t/can’t shoot, no creative playmaker, continually giving the ball away to the opposition, defenders losing their markers etc. 
We are near the bottom because this team of players aren’t good enough. 

Gareth Ainsworth of Wycombe knows the same applies to his team. We will know soon enough if we’re going down with them. 

But most of those issues you outline have only been a case for this season. Waghorn was the top scorer last season, Lawrence had close to 10, Knight 6 in half a season and Sibley 5 in 10. Yet this season none look like it. 

We are near the bottom from a combination of factors of which management and coaching is chief amongst them.

1 minute ago, Andicis said:

You can't see **anyone** out there that would be able to improve on 2 points out of the last 6 games? I can get the ball rolling with someone already in the club, Steve McClaren. I think Darren Wassall could get some kind of bounce, he at least knows the young players. Not bothered enough to research who's available, the idea that **nobody** out there that would manage us could improve us, is fantasy, in my opinion. 

It's taking a big risk? How is it a **big** risk? We're dropping like a stone anyway, it can't really get much worse. 

You can't see **anyone** out there that would be able to improve on 2 points out of the last 6 games? I can get the ball rolling with someone already in the club, Steve McClaren. I think Darren Wassall ....

But would they take the job? We don't seem like a particularly attractive prospect at this time.

It's taking a big risk? How is it a **big** risk?

I said it was a risk, not a *big* risk. But any managerial change is a risk, surely you appreciate that? Results of late have been crap, yes, but let's not forget we were bottom of the table when Rooney took over.

3 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

I would be seriously considering a change at the end of the season. Certainly if we're no longer in the Championship

Im inclined to give Rooney the rest of the season to turn it round given his overall record to date & the league position we were in when he started but surely can be no doubt he has to go if we get relegated.

As others have pointed out, Cocu got this squad to 10th last year...the major differences being Martin replaced by Kazim, Byrne for Bogle & no Rooney ambling around the pitch. Doesn't seem a dramatic drop in quality.

3 minutes ago, LeedsCityRam said:

Im inclined to give Rooney the rest of the season to turn it round given his overall record to date & the league position we were in when he started but surely can be no doubt he has to go if we get relegated.

As others have pointed out, Cocu got this squad to 10th last year...the major differences being Martin replaced by Kazim, Byrne for Bogle & no Rooney ambling around the pitch. Doesn't seem a dramatic drop in quality.

This is something I'm really not sure about and I could see the arguments either way. Because as weird as it sounds I honestly think there were more positives in Cocu's last 10 games than in the past 10 under Rooney. There at least there were more than a handful games were things just didn't go our way and there were flashes of performances in places.  And by the end of that I thought Cocu's position was untenable. So at what point does Rooney's ? 

You can argue that he dug us out of it in the first place and so back him to do it again  but I remain unconvinced especially as the last 10 or so (1 half at Brentford) has had so little to be encouraged about and we've been arguably getting worse over that period. 

It's possible that we need a break for a mentality reset to go again for the final push but I just have a nagging feeling that we might be better off acting now rather than waiting.

I will caveat this by saying I really don't know if it's the right path or not and under most circumstances I'd advocate for letting roll till the seasons end.

2 hours ago, LittleEatonRam said:

Ever since Rooney walked into this club everything has been about him. The media coverage, the fans' attention, the team selection, the decision to appoint him manager. He's had it all his own way.

Played like garbage under his manager but guaranteed a start nonetheless, clearly eyed up the manager's job from the get go and, as always, has gotten exactly what he wanted.

I'm absolutely sick of this club and its fanbase being in thrall to celebrity players who didn't know or care we existed until we offered them a job. Whoever the new owners are I hope they don't make decisions based on publicity anymore.

Your on the money here!

The fascination with celebrity at this club is at the center of its downfall.

The good news for Rooney is his name will give him much more goodwill than most within our club and fanbase

12 minutes ago, LeedsCityRam said:

The only other big difference being Lawrence's availability & subsequent goals, although Rooney's inability to get anything out of Waghorn doesn't give me much confidence that he'd have got anything out of Lawrence this season.

Holmes is not a great player but did contribute last season too, can't really blame him Rooney for binning him off though.

12 minutes ago, LeedsCityRam said:

But if he does just keep us up and we give him next season, what if he starts next season poorly ? that's another season gone, just like what happened to Cocu. 

Why not Lampard? he already knows the club and many of the players, those players will tell the other players how fun it was last time he was here. He'd be able to get more great loans...

55 minutes ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

Just smacks of absolutely appalling man management.....

Does doesn’t it, you’d think the last thing we need is our manager fighting with players especially seen as players have the biggest pull now a days aswell 

Archived