Tennis 2021

Curtains

8 minutes ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

I'd be pretty pissed of if it took an opponent 3 or 4 minutes to have a bit of tape put on at that point in a game, and I was applying considerable pressure.  

First of all,  i am not even British so cant be accused of being biased. Thats for the disclaimer.

She was bleeding so clearly needs medical attention and then starts mouthing off to the official within earshot of the other player being treated, thats not a great sporting behaviour, in my book.

7 minutes ago, EtoileSportiveDeDerby said:

First of all,  i am not even British so cant be accused of being biased. Thats for the disclaimer.

She was bleeding so clearly needs medical attention and then starts mouthing off to the official within earshot of the other player being treated, thats not a great sporting behaviour, in my book.

A marked contrast to how quietly Emma sat when Leylah took a toilet break after she lost the first set.

Took the opportunity to compose herself, which is really what Leylah should have done.

But we shouldn't let that spoil the contribution she made to a great final. Exceptional tennis at times from both players.

4 minutes ago, EtoileSportiveDeDerby said:

4 minute sit down and rehydration.  It was poor form for me.  I think she was questioning if it should be classed as an injury that would stop her playing out till the next break.  She had a point.  Sure Nadal had one recently and cracked on till the next break in the match.  

3 minutes ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

4 minute sit down and rehydration.  It was poor form for me.  I think she was questioning if it should be classed as an injury that would stop her playing out till the next break.  She had a point.  Sure Nadal had one recently and cracked on till the next break in the match.  

And when Fernandez took a 5 minute comfort break immediately after losing the first set. Was that poor form too?

Honestly, there's literally no pleasing some people! 

4 minutes ago, jimmyp said:

Emma's Road to the Championship

Qualifier 1: 6-1, 6-2
Qualifier 2: 6-3, 7-5
Qualifier 3: 6-1, 6-4
Round 1: 6-2, 6-3
Round 2: 6-2, 6-4
Round 3: 6-0, 6-1
Round 4: 6-2, 6-1
Quarter-Final: 6-3, 6-4
Semi-Final: 6-1, 6-4
Championship: 6-4, 6-3

Sets: 20-0 (100%)
Games: 121-50 (70.8%)

At least the other qualifiers can say they were knocked out by the eventual champion.

Watching that was just amazing. The class from her and her maturity with handling the media is also incredible.

I hope she enjoys every minute of it, with the inevitable scream of demand she will get when she gets home.

Well done Emma and a great night for British tennis.

9 minutes ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

And when Fernandez took a 5 minute comfort break immediately after losing the first set. Was that poor form too?

Honestly, there's literally no pleasing some people! 

Unlike Emma's, that was a deliberate attempt to break her opponents concentration. 

Well done Emma, you given me something to smile about, after last night. A highly entertaining match from 2 players who should have great futures.

10 minutes ago, jimmyp said:

Emma's Road to the Championship

Qualifier 1: 6-1, 6-2
Qualifier 2: 6-3, 7-5
Qualifier 3: 6-1, 6-4
Round 1: 6-2, 6-3
Round 2: 6-2, 6-4
Round 3: 6-0, 6-1
Round 4: 6-2, 6-1
Quarter-Final: 6-3, 6-4
Semi-Final: 6-1, 6-4
Championship: 6-4, 6-3

Sets: 20-0 (100%)
Games: 121-50 (70.8%)

I wonder if the player she beat in the qualifier 2, is claiming to be the second best player in the tournament? ?

Her victory is just so Wow.

Everyone saying so many nice things, she’s so humble and seems smart beyond her years. Really hopeful she has the mental toughness and support to cope with what’s coming, because if she does, tennis wise I think she’s only going to get better.

Highly doubt this is the last time we see this young lady in a slam final, what an inspiration she will be for others in this country too.

Sports personality of the year award hot favourite I’d say.

44 minutes ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

Fantastic effort. I so hope she goes on to conquer greater challenges such as Fourier Analysis, Group Theory and Topographical Geometry.... go Emma! ?

It's a shame that Fermat's Last Theorem was proved by Andrew Wiles. It would have been just the thing to muse over during disputed line calls.

6 hours ago, Eddie said:

So...

Who's going to be runner-up in the Sports Personality Of The Year?

The cynic in me suspects that one of the "didn't quite make it yet again" England footballers - perhaps raheem sterling who scored some goals - will be wheeled out and over hyped by the salivating media. "golden generation" etc etc.... 

This young lady ought to win by a country mile tho.... ?

36 minutes ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

The cynic in me suspects that one of the "didn't quite make it yet again" England footballers - perhaps raheem sterling who scored some goals - will be wheeled out and over hyped by the salivating media. "golden generation" etc etc.... 

This young lady ought to win by a country mile tho.... ?

Not sure. British public are pretty good at recognizing individual talent in all sports. Helps this has happened towards end of the year.