Tennis 2021

Curtains

On 14/06/2021 at 00:13, maxjam said:

I rate Djokovic's athleticism highly, he always seems as though he could run around forever.  

Federer however is my favourite player, the way he glides around the court and plays the game is sublime.

I never really enjoyed Nadal's brute strength approach, but he is obviously a clay court God.

Due to the era they play in and amount of Grand Slams they have won, I would put them as the top 3 players of all time - now imagine if one or two of them hadn't been here.  The other one(s) would have picked up 30-40 Grand Slams rather than the 20 they all just about have. 

Insane domination over the past 10 years and whilst it will be good to see a few new faces winning titles in the coming years I can't help but feel we've witnessed a golden age in tennis.

Borg maybe. Won 11. Never played in Australia- probably still classed as an amateur tournament then ?. Retired at 26. 

3 hours ago, jimmyp said:

Emma Raducanu,  First qualifier in history to reach a grand slam final.

What an absolutely incredible achievement! 

Well done Emma. 

Couldn't agree more. I'm old enough to remember Virginia Wade winning. She's already done amazingly well.  On this form there's no reason she can't win it. 

24 minutes ago, Malagaram said:

Correct  Sir,she was born in Montreal but moved to England with her parents as a 2 year old

Given that her parents are Chinese and Romanian, and she has been invested heavily in by the British LTA since a very young age, I think we have as much right to claim her as anyone! 

22 hours ago, angieram said:

Given that her parents are Chinese and Romanian, and she has been invested heavily in by the British LTA since a very young age, I think we have as much right to claim her as anyone! 

Seeing as she's British, which she will tell you if you ask her, then I think we're the only country to have a claim.

On 10/09/2021 at 08:01, BucksRam said:

Couldn't agree more. I'm old enough to remember Virginia Wade winning. She's already done amazingly well.  On this form there's no reason she can't win it. 

Yes to both statements!. Fun facts...Sue Barker was in the other semi final. Virginia Wade won the US open 9 years earlier. She also reached semi final of Wimbledon in the year after winning it.