Tennis 2021

Curtains

I rate Djokovic's athleticism highly, he always seems as though he could run around forever.  

Federer however is my favourite player, the way he glides around the court and plays the game is sublime.

I never really enjoyed Nadal's brute strength approach, but he is obviously a clay court God.

Due to the era they play in and amount of Grand Slams they have won, I would put them as the top 3 players of all time - now imagine if one or two of them hadn't been here.  The other one(s) would have picked up 30-40 Grand Slams rather than the 20 they all just about have. 

Insane domination over the past 10 years and whilst it will be good to see a few new faces winning titles in the coming years I can't help but feel we've witnessed a golden age in tennis.

Edited by maxjam

I really don't like Djokovic's attitude tbh- comes across as a petty man who is generally a bad winner, a sore loser and uses gamesmanship to get a small timeout if things aren't going his way by mysteriously acquiring injuries that he suddenly recovers from. I think that kind of attitude is more understandable if you're an average player but he's one of the best players of all time... 

It's difficult to judge who is best out of the 3 as they all peaked at different years, I'd be careful to say if Djokovic is the best player of all time just because of the way a 38 year old federer took him to the mat in the wimbledon final and smashed him in a hard court event a few months later. He's a great player though and if injuries don't get at him he could have a clear run for the next 2/3 years before the others start to catch up.  

• 3 weeks later...
11 minutes ago, Beetroot said:

Anyone watched Raducanu - John McEnroe absolutely steaming in the studio ????

Hardly............he was just talking common sense, which seems to offend the modern world thesesdays.

Put on your reeboks and play some tennis................

Federer has gone then in straight sets ?  With his 40th birthday next month you have to wonder whether thats about it...

Djokovic is now in prime position to not only pick up his record equalling 20th Grand Slam but win the first 3 of 4 Grand Slams in the calendar year - with the Olympics also due soon he's well on the way to completing a legendary clean sweep.

• 1 month later...
13 minutes ago, angieram said:

Blimey, this girl is good! Such  a shame these matches are tucked away on Amazon Prime.

Oh I wondered why I couldn't watch them anywhere. But it turns out I can! Will be glued to the semifinal. 

I think she's the first qualifier to reach the semifinals, and has done it without dropping a set. How many games is that? 

Looks headed to superstardom. What an amazing rise.

8 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

Oh I wondered why I couldn't watch them anywhere. But it turns out I can! Will be glued to the semifinal. 

I think she's the first qualifier to reach the semifinals, and has done it without dropping a set. How many games is that? 

Looks headed to superstardom. What an amazing rise.

No idea, an extra three qualifying rounds, I think. She hasn't dropped a set yet, though. 

3 hours ago, angieram said:

No idea, an extra three qualifying rounds, I think. She hasn't dropped a set yet, though. 

Yeah eight matches won so far, to reach the semifinal. The toughest and longest seemingly having been the second qualifying round! But no sets dropped is amazing.

https://www.usopen.org/en_US/players/overview/wta328366.html

Seems a lovely young woman and incredibly switched on. Hard to believe she's only 18 when you watch her play and also the way she copes with all the attention. Hard to believe how hard she hits the ball too as she's so willowy. With a little luck and a fair wind, a huge career beckons. 

15 minutes ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

Now, here's an unrelated snippet for you Angie. 

Started a new job last week in Crawley. My compliance head who I met on day 2 cos they're just coming back to work, grew up in Alfreton and was at the forest game last week! 

Small world eh? 

I love it when things like that happen. Did you ask him if he likes tennis?  ?